KitGuru posted a sneak peak of the rumored MSI GT80

snowComet

In October there is a rumor about MSI making a 18" laptop with Cherry MX mechanical keyboard. ( http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/240360-msi-laptop-with-real-cherry-mechanical-keyboard/?hl=titan )Now Kirguru posted a sneak peek about this monster.

The hardware detail and price is still under NDA, so the spec has not been revealed. But the host did say the power brick is the biggest he had ever seen, and the screen is 18", but may not be in Full HD for the retail models. According to the marking on the laptop and video, it does have a cherry mx mechanical keyboard. More details will be revealed in CES 2015.

Btw the host explained why there is a gap on the keyboard. According to him, there are hardwares under the gap that could emit lots of heat. If the keyboard is in the traditional layout, the keyboard would be very hot, and they need to reserve a certain thickness for the travelling distance of the mechanical keys.

(He explained it from around 04:09 ...) He also mentioned that you can lift the gap panel up and do the upgrades from there.

http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/zardon/msi-gt80-titan-gaming-laptop-sneak-peak/

4830649-bright.jpg

4830653.jpg

4830656.jpg

4830660.jpg

4830663.jpg

4830671.jpg

4830673.jpg

4830675.jpg

my god its is so ugly...

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I think it is a very bad idea to put a mechanical KB on a laptop, it just takes so much space and make the laptop incredibly bulky.

you can still have a good keyboard, even if it isn't mechanical.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

my god its is so ugly...

Yeah, the space between the keyboard and monitor completely ruins it.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I personally like it, because it is a "what if..." product, which is something we see far too little of in today's market.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Yeah, the space between the keyboard and monitor completely ruins it.

the host did explain why there is a gap there in the video...

the host did explain why there is a gap there in the video...

That doesn't make it any less ugly..?

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I personally like it, because it is a "what if..." product, which is something we see far too little of in today's market.

But this "what if" is like trying to integrate a trailer into a hatchback...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That doesn't make it any less ugly..?

He said there are many hardware under the gap. If the keyboard is in the traditional layout, the keyboard would be very hot...

and they need to reserve a certain thickness for the travelling distance of the mechanical keys..

He explained it from around 04:09 ...

He said there are many hardware under the gap. If the keyboard is in the traditional layout, the keyboard would be very hot...

I realise it "has" to look like that to fit the hardware.... BUT MY POINT IS THAT IT'S STILL BUTT UGLY FFS

I like mechanical keyboards as much as the next guy, but if this is the way to implement it, I don't think it's worth it...

I think it is a very bad idea to put a mechanical KB on a laptop, it just takes so much space and make the laptop incredibly bulky.

you can still have a good keyboard, even if it isn't mechanical.

Having used a Model M since I was 11, I disagree. I'd love to have a laptop with a mechanical keyboard. I wouldn't care about the extra size or weight - the Chromebook I use is disturbingly light for instance. Normal laptops still feel light and my dad pulled out an old Thinkpad (I think it was a Thinkpad) and while being extremely heavy it was built like a tank and was awesome.

Sig under construction.

It's obvious that sacrifices had to be made in the design for a mechanical keyboard to fit, it's impressive (imo). I'd be seriously interested in this, but i do not need a laptop at all right now. And this thing is gonna be expensive for sure.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

didn't linus make a video about this laptop before, in some event or something, or it was another version

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

It's good to see more information on this. I still think it's going to be a failure unfortunately. I love my brown switches, but I can't imagine owning such a large laptop.

Super ugly

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I think it would of been better to leave this as a concept. instead of actually manufacturing them.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Obviously.

What about a tri sli setup? Unlikely, but possible?

What about a tri sli setup? Unlikely, but possible?

As far as I'm aware, that's actually not possible with mobile GPUs. I also doubt that there's even space for that.

I wonder if MSI is really going all out and having a Eurocom-esk setup with an x99 laptop...A desktop core i7 would explain the absolutely insane power brick.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

okay guys, I am no expert, but lemme guess

980M sli

Best of the best mobile intel extreme ultra core quantum edition CPU

As much RAM as it can take

WiFi

Bluetooth

1388*768 TN display