why is battlefield 3 exclusive to origin and not on steam like every other one.

chimmychunger

Because EA made it and wants it to be sold direct from their distributor(Origin) giving them higher profits.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Gaming industry isn't about making good games anymore' date=' it's about making money.[/quote']

+1 for that :D

EA is just evil, evil I say!

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Gaming industry isn't about making good games anymore' date=' it's about making money.[/quote']

The industry as a whole has always been about making money, they are businesses.

OT, EA and Valve could not reach an agreement on various issues (particularly Valve's cut and patching). Which is why it was offered on other services besides origin (still needed to play) but not steam.

Gaming industry isn't about making good games anymore' date=' it's about making money.[/quote'] The industry as a whole has always been about making money, they are businesses..

Agreed, but when making decision as to what to include in a game, or how a game works, developers will take the one that will rake them the most money, rather than make a better game.

Perfect example being the Real Money Auction House in Diablo 3. I personally believe it was a poor decision in terms of making the game more enjoyable, but it made Blizzard more money.

The decision to put BF3 on Origin exclusively is simple. It's an artificially constructed situation to provide 'incentive' for people to get Origin. Simple. EA want to compete with Steam, and they want to do it so badly that they are willing to lose money by forcing the use of Origin for their games. There is no winner here. It's less about money in the short run, and more about control. In the long run, EA hopes that Origin will be an established platform through this strategy.

Considering the extreme lack of backbone in most gamers, it'll probably work.

I've yet to be bothered with it though, and while I enjoyed every Battlefield installation (except 2142 of course) up until the third, there is no genetic self-destruct sequence that will be initiated if I *GASP* miss out on any of them. I had a lot of fun pew pewing from my Wuzhuang-Zhisheng 24 helicopter in Battlefield 2 and will cherish that, but my principles are more important than some game will ever be.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The industry as a whole has always been about making money, they are businesses.

OT, EA and Valve could not reach an agreement on various issues (particularly Valve's cut and patching). Which is why it was offered on other services besides origin (still needed to play) but not steam.

This would have been my answerr as well but forum error lost my post :/ Anyway I think it's good thing that Steam has some competition. It has problems that will not be fixed unless some other company does it better and attracts customers. Like Steams DL cap. It was untill some months ago that I could DL with only 300-400 kbs on steam but full 10megs with origin.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Gaming industry isn't about making good games anymore, it's about making money.
borderlands 2 is an exception to that

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Gaming industry isn't about making good games anymore, it's about making money.
Each to there own, I think Borderlands 2 is terrible.

The decision to put BF3 on Origin exclusively is simple. It's an artificially constructed situation to provide 'incentive' for people to get Origin. Simple. EA want to compete with Steam' date=' and they want to do it so badly that they are willing to lose money by forcing the use of Origin for their games. There is no winner here. It's less about money in the short run, and more about control. In the long run, EA hopes that Origin will be an established platform through this strategy. Considering the extreme lack of backbone in most gamers, it'll probably work. I've yet to be bothered with it though, and while I enjoyed every Battlefield installation (except 2142 of course) up until the third, there is no genetic self-destruct sequence that will be initiated if I *GASP* miss out on any of them. I had a lot of fun pew pewing from my Wuzhuang-Zhisheng 24 helicopter in Battlefield 2 and will cherish that, but my principles are more important than some game will ever be.[/quote']

So say Steam and Origin are both selling the same game you want and Origin is selling it for half the price, would you still buy it on Steam despite Valve and EA's goals being exactly the same?

The decision to put BF3 on Origin exclusively is simple. It's an artificially constructed situation to provide 'incentive' for people to get Origin. Simple. EA want to compete with Steam' date=' and they want to do it so badly that they are willing to lose money by forcing the use of Origin for their games. There is no winner here. It's less about money in the short run, and more about control. In the long run, EA hopes that Origin will be an established platform through this strategy. Considering the extreme lack of backbone in most gamers, it'll probably work. I've yet to be bothered with it though, and while I enjoyed every Battlefield installation (except 2142 of course) up until the third, there is no genetic self-destruct sequence that will be initiated if I *GASP* miss out on any of them. I had a lot of fun pew pewing from my Wuzhuang-Zhisheng 24 helicopter in Battlefield 2 and will cherish that, but my principles are more important than some game will ever be.[/quote']

So say Steam and Origin are both selling the same game you want and Origin is selling it for half the price, would you still buy it on Steam despite Valve and EA's goals being exactly the same?

probably because i am more familiar with steam and trust them, EA has not gained my trust yet.

I would probably still go with Steam. Knowing Steam, I can usually wait for Steam to put the game I want on sale.

For me to choose EA, they would have to make it exclusive and at a crazy low price.

Same reason why Microsoft didn't release the newer Halo games for PC

Waiting for a sale was not a scenario, it was just a straight up origin is HALF the price. I'm amazed people are willing to spend more just to have it on steam.

I too would rather purchase it on Steam than on Origin, unless it was free on Origin.

any of you guys Colonel 100??

Intel 4820 @ 4.5 GhZ |   MSI GTX 780 LIGHTNING |    16GB Corsair Dominator 2000 MhZ | 

It does suck to have to have Origin for 1 game and will probably never use it for anything else....

FX-8350          ASUS Crosshair V         MSi R9 290X Gaming 4G

Because they want people to start using Origin which is EA based so they get more money. They also don't need to pay Steam when their games sell there.

Good Morning...

Because they want people to start using Origin which is EA based so they get more money. They also don't need to pay Steam when their games sell there.
yes but evan with the money they have to give to steam they will make a bigger profit becouse it is on steam and more people will buy it.

Back when my guild was playing The Secret World and it came out on Steam, virtually everybody who joined the game late ignored the 25% discount on Origin and got it on Steam. For myself personally, I've never seen the game that interests me enough to get despite being Origin exclusive. It just never happened. I'm not discounting the possibility, but I'm saying EA's games don't interest me to such a degree that Origin is a worthwhile crutch.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Why wouldn't they buy it on origin for the discount and then just add it to steam? I don't get why people would want to pay more just to have it go to valve instead of EA. But I suppose I'm alone in prefering to save money.

Chimmy, I highly doubt that is true otherwise, EA is looking to maximize profit like any other company, if they've determined they will make more by not having to pay Valve, it's probably accurate.

EA needed something to launch Origin with, if they had launched BF3 with Steam or other online platforms or retailers, who would be using Origin? Let's be very honest, not many would be.