Are SSD's worth it?

snowpike

I am thinking about getting a ssd for my pc that im going to build (120GB) but I want to know what are the benefits of having a ssd.

I just want to know if its worth it and if it will last long.

if it is worth which ssd will last the longest and etc

I am thinking about getting a ssd for my pc that im going to build (120GB) but I want to know what are the benefits of having a ssd.

I just want to know if its worth it and if it will last long.

if it is worth which ssd will last the longest and etc

Well, since i bought my first ssd, i can say that its the best thing i ever bought lol. Next time i would go 120gb too and not 64 so that i can store more programms on it.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

if you plan to use it as a boot drive then yes, from the moment i push the button to the moment my login screen comes up is about 5 seconds give or take, just get something like a samsung 840 pro, their awesome

If you're going to run windows 8, I wouldn't bother.

For a windows 7 system though, the benefits of having a good SSD for your boot drive are definitely more apparent.

Just keep your program files and OS on the SSD if you get one.

then which one should i get that is reliable andgood
i was maybe thinkin of a samsung 840

or mushkin chronos or deluxe

Worth it, very worth it my laptop has one, and boot times and programs booting up are SOOO much faster than me Desktop! I'm going to buy one as soon as I have enough money :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

SSD's have limited read and write speeds compared to tradition HDD's. They do have greatly improved read and write speeds though so boot up will be much faster and loading and writing data will be much faster. If you don't need much space a 120GB or smaller SSD just for the OS and your browser will be fine, if you need more space, upgrade. I would suggest keeping a mass storage drive like a 1TB HDD for music, pictures, videos, etc. I recommend the Samsung 840 Pro because overall it's a great SSD.

Hope this helps!

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

Just a faster boot times.

No, it's more than just that. Faster access times all around, better sequential and random read/write operations, less power consumption, more robust, etc.

It definitely is worth it. I'm shure you won't regret. And yes, considering a normal everyday use, they will last long. I use a Intel 520 series and have nothing to complaint. It has 5 years warranty, so you can imagine that it will indeed last a long time, and if it doesn't, just RMA it. Good options are the Samsung 840Pro, the Intel 520 Series, OCZ Vector, Crucial M5... There are lots of them. Try to get something with a good warranty and good costumer support where you live.

Not to mention that they won't die easily. Intel did a test where they wrote something like 5GB of data per day for 5+ years, and it still lived. They even extended the test for even more years and it never died.

I can't live without SSDs anymore. :D  As soon as i touch a PC with a harddrive for the OS in it, i get mad as hell :P

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

YES they are. SO fast. Its worth it just for the boot time. It is the biggest noticeable difference an upgrade to your PC can have IMO. Any new drive will last roughly as long as any other as a lot of them use the same physical chips.

An ssd from an hdd is the most noticeable upgrade you can make. Everything you put on it is so much faster. Applications open up nearly instantly and such. Things such as browsers are snappier when using the cache on an ssd instead of an hdd.

If you don't have one already, get one. You won't regret it.

The Samsung 840 is a great ssd at a decent price. You can't go wrong with it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if you have lots of games and programs, then you can get 120 or even 200 gb samsung one, people say its their best investment despite the high price

then which one should i get that is reliable andgood

i was maybe thinkin of a samsung 840

or mushkin chronos or deluxe

I would go with a Samsung 840 because every part in the SSD i think is made by Samsung which ensures that this drive will probably have good quality control. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i will never go back to a hdd for boot, going from minutes of waiting for my startup programs to literally seconds is amazing

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

ya SSD is lot faster than normal hdd . in term of booting , opening games and computer application

go for it u wont regret it cant use a pc with out one now

SSDs are awesome. BUT, if you are a gamer, I recommend buying a better video card instead for a new build.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

faster read and write speeds

not affected by tilting your pc

can be mounted sideways without gravity affecting the needle, cause there isnt one.

Thanks

RECON

They are imo the best upgrade to a pc or laptop you can make at the moment.

I hate having to use my PC at work as it uses a WD blue for boot >.>

Would never run without a SSD now, but I've always tried to split the workload between boot and data, so going to a multiple hard drive system was easy for me.

It is totally worth the investment to get an SSD. I put it off for the longest time waiting for the price to come down, but when I finally did it, I wished I had sooner.

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185