Are SSD's worth it?

snowpike

Just a faster boot times.

Not entirely true its just more then boot times. When opening folders or software on your SSD the load times even just for opening Windows Explorer are a ton faster. it overall makes your day to day computing experience way better IMO. I can't live without my SSD.

There are videos on youtube from the early days of SSDs showing a system booting up and like 30 applications opening at once, side by side with a HDD.  That was one of the first things that made me want one.

There are no moving parts, no 'fragmentation' that matters for throughput.  Some firmwares are better at keeping the drive speedy over time, and TRIM (the OS command to tell the SSD to tidy itself) being essential, so no dinosaur windows plz.

I spent $230 on the first 128gb SSD, still at 99% life and running in a secondary system.  Spent $170 on the 250GB SSD I'm using now, its not about space tho, its the speed.

what? If I'm running Windows 8 I shouldn't bother with a SSD? Sense, you make none.

If you're going to run windows 8, I wouldn't bother.

For a windows 7 system though, the benefits of having a good SSD for your boot drive are definitely more apparent.

Just keep your program files and OS on the SSD if you get one.

Just a faster boot times.

Not true.

They also eliminate texture popping,  LOD switching and microstutter issues in games that stream a lot of data off the drive.

The Arma series benefits from SSD's enormously for example.

The ability to Load/Save files much faster also saves money if you rely on a fast turnaround on your work.

File searches are a hell of a lot faster......Video rendering speed in increased.

can be mounted sideways without gravity affecting the needle, cause there isnt one.

HDD's don't use a needle.

The read/write head floats on a cushion of air created by the spinning of the platters.

HDD's don't use a needle.

The read/write head floats on a cushion of air created by the spinning of the platters.

That brings up another aspect of SSD, people care so much about how reliable SSD are, bang on a HDD a little too hard when its spinning and that airplane crashes into your data destroying it.

Basically everything is faster and better with SSDs :D

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

We enthusiasts always talk about bottlenecks. Well mechanical HDDs are massive bottlenecks to the rest of our system which don't have moving parts and process data at unimaginable rates. There is no other way to make your PC feel as fast as it should be in general windows, loading times and responsiveness etc. If I was to dumb this down for a non-techie I would say a mechanical HDD cannot feed data as fast as the rest of the system can process it.

SSD's have limited read and write speeds compared to tradition HDD's. They do have greatly improved read and write speeds though

:huh:

Worth it? YES YES YES. expensive? Sorta, but more expensive the hdds

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

YES! :)

It will make more noticeable difference in every-day use than anything else you could upgrade.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

If you are building a rig over $1l, i think you should have an SSD in it. I personally took a while to join the SSD Bandwagon. I have BF3 installed on my ssd and helps me. I get into the maps really fast. Most of the other people don't load in as fast as me. I usually get to take the first set of mcoms because the enemies have not loaded in yet. Whether or not you think this is worth the price is your decision and no one else. That is the beauty of building a pc. You choose the parts for your needs.

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

SSDs also don't require defragging. They do require Trim, which can be performed automatically by your OS[that supports it] or by the SSD itself(garbage collection).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Most day to day workloads consist of random IOPS. This means lots of small files being opened (starting your computer, opening a game, opening a program, etc). Starting a large program usually involves opening hundreds to thousands of small files. On an hdd these means hundreds or thousands of seek operations, which might take about 10ms each, meaning you only get about 100/second, or 100 IOPS. SSDs on the other hand can get up to 100k iops, which is a 1000x speedup. Granted most SSDs aren't that fast, even a slow SSD can push 20k IOPS, which is still 200x what an HDD can do. The difference is especially obvious with a fragmented HDD vs SSD because SSDs don't suffer from fragmentation slowdown. 

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I personally don't store games unless I buy several SDDs and run in Raid0 as at this point in time SSDs are not cheap well size to price ratio anyway.

Intel or Samsung, you can't go wrong.

Personally just get a few 4TB hDDs and a 256GB or 512GB SSD for your main apps and the others for games.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

totally worth it, also get something like intel 520 series or samsung 840 pro, they offer 5 year warranties which means they expect the product to last well over 5 years, if not 7-10 years.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Get one. Especially is the build is your main one where you'll be doing work on it. The 4K random performance really helps to eliminate those hangs when you've got a million programmes open. If it is purely for gaming, just get a hard drive and use the extra cash on a better GPU.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy