what happens when proccessors gets to a 1 nm process?

Either we get smaller or. Quantum computing on a reasonable scale or biological computers that are powered off our brains

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

You can't get smaller than 1 nm because the atoms used are 1 nm.

And even then I think I read that at 8 nm Intel/IBM/... didn't think they could go smaller every two year.

First of all, we will have to switch to another material. Silicon is at its limit, as far as i know.

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Either we get smaller or. Quantum computing on a reasonable scale or biological computers that are powered off our brains

our brains and processors are much different,

proccessors have a set of instructions

while our brains can change them on the fly

First of all, we will have to switch to another material. Silicon is at its limit, as far as i know.

hmmm what are in the works now as a replacement? i heard graphene was a thought

We start to use pm instead.

look over the years, every 2 years we used to drop from 800 nm to 600nm to 350nm to 250nm etc

And even then I think I read that at 8 nm Intel/IBM/... didn't think they could go smaller every two year.

atoms huh never thought about it like that, but we know intel plans to go to atmost, 5nm

Edit: the largest atom(cesium atom) has a diameter of 160 pm so i dont think thats the problem

Edit 2: never mind 160 pm is 1.6 nm right???

our brains and processors are much different,

proccessors have a set of instructions

while our brains can change them on the fly

Well then that makes a whole world of possibilities then.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

look over the years, every 2 years we used to drop from 800 nm to 600nm to 350nm to 250nm etc

what?

PM is a smaller measurement than nano meters. What is your point?

what?

PM is a smaller measurement than nano meters. What is your point?

it might not even go down, a die shrink soon might go down just 1 nanometer and it gets costly due to it being harder to fabricate

atoms huh never thought about it like that, but we know intel plans to go to atmost, 5nm

Edit: the largest atom(cesium atom) has a diameter of 160 pm so i dont think thats the problem

While the smallest atom's core/electron cloud be smaller than 1 nm, not all atom of that size could be used for electronic.

Also I just remember that at 1 nm (BTW 1 nm = 1 atom large for electronic chips) you can't predict the path of the electrons anymore, so it's not a question that we can't do it in the near future, it's that it would be easier to use other kind of computer at that point, 

Also, when I said 8 nm it was for most part, not all of them.

hmmm what are in the works now as a replacement? i heard graphene was a thought

No, 160pm = 0.16nm.  Each order of magnitude is a multiple of 1,000.

Atoms are much smaller than 1nm, however the measurements that we have for CPUs like 32nm, 22nm, etc. describe the width of the gates on the transistors which of course are made up of many atoms.  The transistor gates cannot get smaller than 1nm because of the size of the atoms they are made out of, and you get to a point where that affects how small you can make the gate, but it is not the size of the atoms themselves.

Beyond 1nm we can use other materials such as Graphene (carbon), which is smaller sized atoms than silicon, and the structure is just a honeycomb lattice so very simple.

No, 160pm = 0.16nm.  Each order of magnitude is a multiple of 1,000.

Atoms are much smaller than 1nm, however the measurements that we have for CPUs like 32nm, 22nm, etc. describe the width of the gates on the transistors which of course are made up of many atoms.  The transistor gates cannot get smaller than 1nm because of the size of the atoms they are made out of, and you get to a point where that affects how small you can make the gate, but it is not the size of the atoms themselves.

Beyond 1nm we can use other materials such as Graphene (carbon), which is smaller sized atoms than silicon, and the structure is just a honeycomb lattice so very simple.

hopefully when i get older and have money i can invest in many graphene technology

its future is so bright from, larger and more efficient batteries to 2x efficient solar panels which are much cheaper,to now microprocessors

There has been talk about how its becoming almost impossible to make CPUs smaller so we might have to redesign the entire X86 architecture or move onto something different. This wont happen for many years because there is still some work that can be done with X86 but it will happen one day.

Quantum computing as it is now will never be good for regular desktop applications and in some ways is actually much slower. There are things quantum computing is good for like serious parallel processing.

quantum tunneling becomes an issue at some point, and IIRC, around 10nm is around that point.

Quantum computing as it is now will never be good for regular desktop applications and in some ways is actually much slower. There are things quantum computing is good for like serious parallel processing.

Quantum computing is only good for nondeterministic calculations, AFAIK. Bascially anything that works like brute force will be optimized.