How do I tell my parents I dropped out of college.

ThyFeared

I dropped out of college because they would have forced me to take more loans to keep going and I just didn't want my dad to take anymore money for my mistakes. I really want to repay all the loans by finding some shit job and getting my A+ certs and LPI done at the same time. I literally have no idea how to tell them and I just feel so ashamed every single passing day that goes by.

Sorry if you feel this is shit post i just don't know who to turn to.

Just be honest with them. Who knows, maybe they won't treat you like shit and maybe help you through college?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Do it in person, be prepared for sadness. But don't text them and tell them.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

get them drunk

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would never text them that it would just be horrible.

Just be honest with them. Who knows, maybe they won't treat you like shit and maybe help you through college?

I want to finish my education but I just don't want my Dad taking more loans.

Do you still have the option to go back? One does not dropp out of college like that... 

I'm going to end up going back with my own money just not now.

I dropped out of college because they would have forced me to take more loans to keep going and I just didn't want my dad to take anymore money for my mistakes. I really want to repay all the loans by finding some shit job and getting my A+ certs and LPI done at the same time. I literally have no idea how to tell them and I just feel so ashamed every single passing day that goes by.

Sorry if you feel this is shit post i just don't know who to turn to.

Expect them to scold you BIG time, cuz if they do, that's a good sign. Tell them how you feel, and what you want to do. Ask them how they feel, and what they expect from you from now on.

You tell them and explain why it makes sense. If you have good reasoning and logic behind it then I don't see a real reason for them to be upset. Probably tell them before Christmas though.

-J.T.

I would never text them that it would just be horrible.

I want to finish my education but I just don't want my Dad taking more loans.

I'm going to end up going back with my own money just not now.

if you actually say it like that they would understand 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

if you actually say it like that they would understand 

That's what I was thinking of saying I just don't know how to setup a conversation like that :\

Why not just let them take out the loans? They probably have no problem with it because they see the value of you continuing your education at this point beyond the money.

If you tell him, he's most likely to urge you to continue and let him continue to take out loans. Why reject something that someone is giving you and metaphorically stomp on the dedication and sacrifice he's already made? He likely feels obligated, proud, and wants you do to this, so I don't understand why you're rejecting it.

That's what I was thinking of saying I just don't know how to setup a conversation like that :\

tell them that you are going to talk with them (in a serious manner) and explain it ,that's the simplest solution and probably least damaging option

Why not just let them take out the loans? They probably have no problem with it because they see the value of you continuing your education at this point beyond the money.

If you tell him, he's most likely to urge you to continue and let him continue to take out loans. Why reject something that someone is giving you and metaphorically stomp on the dedication and sacrifice he's already made?

Because I'm a person that feels like complete shit when they take others money. Literally you have no idea how bad I feel when I can hardly sleep at night because I think of this shit so much. Plus i'm not letting him take out 38K just for some piece of paper no way.

I'd just sit them down and tell them. As long as you have a solid plan and you're not just sitting around playing video games, they should be more than happy to listen to what you plan on doing.

I'd also like to point out that just because you have no formal education by no means means you have to settle for a shitty job. You can make excellent money without having any kind of post secondary education.

Just say it. "So uh...I dropped out of college." It's going to have to come out somehow, there's no real way to cushion the blow :P

...I'd maybe wait until after Christmas.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Mommy, Daddy, Have a seat... I dropped out of college. It is something I don't want to do, retirement is what I'm going into!

I feel

There's your problem, you're being a bit greedy here. You're not considering how he feels. This is a similar situation to the gift giving scenario of who is actually the benefactor, the person giving or the person receiving?

There's your problem, you're being a bit greedy here. You're not considering how he feels. This is a similar situation to the gift giving scenario of who is actually the benefactor, the person giving or the person receiving?

How am I being greedy when I'm wanting to pay back and not have them take more loans.

How am I being greedy when I'm wanting to pay back and not have them take more loans.

Inconsiderate is probably a better word

point is if he's offering and you're not asking, I think the best option would be to not refuse, but I don't know your situation or your father. 

I'd just sit them down and tell them. As long as you have a solid plan and you're not just sitting around playing video games, they should be more than happy to listen to what you plan on doing.

I'd also like to point out that just because you have no formal education by no means means you have to settle for a shitty job. You can make excellent money without having any kind of post secondary education.

Just say it. "So uh...I dropped out of college." It's going to have to come out somehow, there's no real way to cushion the blow :P

...I'd maybe wait until after Christmas.

I was planning to find a shitty job just for the moment to pay everything back and pay for my certs.

Inconsiderate is probably a better word

point is if he's offering and you're not asking, I think the best option would be to not refuse, but I don't know your situation or your father. 

With him it'll be 50-50 on getting mad or being ok with it.

^^^This.

Be upfront and honest, they'll prefer that over anything else.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I was planning to find a shitty job just for the moment to pay everything back and pay for my certs.

You can do the same with a decent job ;)

Hell, cell phone sales, or service advisers at dealerships both pay great money. Even lot jockeys get excellent wages depending on your location.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You can do the same with a decent job ;)

Hell, cell phone sales, or service advisers at dealerships both pay great money. Even lot jockeys get excellent wages depending on your location.

I've never had a job in my life :\

I've never had a job in my life :\

You're 19 and have never had a job? Dear God! You should get on that. It's really not hard.

Hell, I think having a job as a teen and getting that live experience is as or possibly even more important than college.

I've seen a few friends finish their university degree, only to bomb when it comes to real life and end up working at Boston Pizza.

I mean they're happy, so whatever works for them, but damn.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler