Need to calculate PSU size...

rhoscrazy

Hey Guys, anyone know of a good PSU calculator which has Haswell and the Nvidia 770?

The usual goto ones have not been updated that I can see or find.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

just take the max tdp of both :)

for example: the 4670k has max tdp of 85watt (I think), so take 100 to be sure.

take that total + 100 watt and you should be safe :)

Edit: pcpartpicker works :)

Proud to be from Belgium.

tell us your system  and we can help you choose a psu :)

You dont need a calculator. Any standard gaming rig will consume upto 650w unless got dual graphixs cards etc. i say 700w is fine

This ^^ A quality 600W-650W PSU is ideal.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

you dont even need 600w, with haswell you could easy get away with 450w. everyone goes overkill with psu's

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

Yeah, Linus used a 550w PSU in his build guide with an i7 4770k and a GTX 780, so you don't even need that much. Get a high quality, lower wattage power supply, unless you plan to be doing some serious upgrading in the future. 

Yeah, Linus used a 550w PSU in his build guide with an i7 4770k and a GTX 780, so you don't even need that much. Get a high quality, lower wattage power supply, unless you plan to be doing some serious upgrading in the future. 

Agreed I'd get a gold certified 550w PSU personally with that card. You will get more efficiency with a unit that is closer to your used power.

Semi modular, on sale+MIR, quaility unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Moved to PSU's

But make sure you get enough amps in the 12 volt rail for the new nvidia cards.. I believe the needs at least a 42 amp 12 volt rail..wattage means nothing if you got a 700watt psu with only 35 watts on 12volt..but no one ever mentions that.. They just say get a 600 watt. Lol

But make sure you get enough amps in the 12 volt rail for the new nvidia cards.. I believe the needs at least a 42 amp 12 volt rail..wattage means nothing if you got a 700watt psu with only 35 watts on 12volt..but no one ever mentions that.. They just say get a 600 watt. Lol

very true its more or less power available to the 12v rail which powers components such as the graphics card.

bennyino, on 17 Jun 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

tell us your system and we can help you choose a psu :)

MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozer
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 4770k
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Window

Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Samsung 840 SSD 120GB
Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8GB (2x4GB)
Samsung 224BB DVD Re-Writer SATA
Corsair SP120 High Performance (x2)
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition

Western Digital Caviar Red 2TB (x2)

Corsair AX760 Modular Power Supply or Seasonic X-650 KM3

Generic Hard drives 200-500GB (x3)

Hope this is enough information, the main reason I think that 650W may not be enough is the hard drives.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

you can do it with the 650w i recon but i would get the 760w one for upgradability

Yea I agree if he were to go SLi, or CF that it would make sense to have the 760w however with things kind of going down hill in terms of power requirements over the years I'd say a solid 650w PSU will do the job.

Soz, but I think you're mistaken.

There's no such thing as a 700W PSU with a combined 35A on the 12V rail(s). A 700W PSU will have 58A on the 12V rail(s).

If Nvidia suggests 42A on the 12V then you will only need to make sure there is 500W on the 12V rail. (A*V=W)

Really cause the CX500 Only has 38 amps on the 12 volt rail..And if there are multiple rails you get even less amps.. Right?

Well you'll still have the same amount of amps but you won't have the same steady power from one cable as you normally would with a single rail. I wouldn't purchase a lower quality unit when you are talking about a higher end card. It really puts the quality of your card to shame. It's like putting a Ferrari engine in a Prius. 

Really cause the CX500 Only has 38 amps on the 12 volt rail..And if there are multiple rails you get even less amps.. Right?

A 700w PSU that will have 58A are PSUs with a DC-DC secondary (most of them just take the rated wattage, divide by 12 and round down). Group-regulated PSUs may have it around 52A or so.

As for his comment regarding a 700w with 35A on the +12v. He was just making a point that some PSUs may have a much lower 12v rating than the rated wattage. For example, there are still PSUs out there being sold that was design during the era where the majority of the power draw was from 3.3/5v. These units typically have low 12v rating in comparison to all modern PSU. For example, this supposedly 550w PSU only has 25A (300w) on the 12v (Of course, even if it had a proper rating, I would not recommend using it on a modern day setup at all). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170010

While it may not be as drastic, his point is still valid, as there are some modern PSUs that does rate their 12v lower than it should. Corsair did it with the the CX600v1 for example, where the 12v only has 480w / 40A. This was more like a 520w PSU, but now the current iteration has a more proper rating of 46A.

Anyways, none of these are an issue, considering how he is planning on getting some high-end quality PSUs.

Not exactly. If you have a 750w unit with DC-DC, whether it's a multi-rail or a single rail, +12v rail should be rated at 62A regardless. The only thing different is the 12v source is being split up and monitor by multiples of OCPs (kind of like breakers in a circuit box of your home). Nowadays, manufacturer had plan it out more properly and properly distribute the cables across the rails that you won't trip the OCP. Unless of course, you are a heavy overclocker / bencher.

Edit: Oh, sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that Corsairs CX line is there budget line of power supplies. Furthermore the OEM within the CX power supplies is cheaper quality than if you were to go out and get a TX, HX or AX power supply. 

The OEM of the current CX, TX, and HX are all the same except for a few specific models that specific models that are made by Seasonic (HX650v2) and Hipro (TXv3 TX-Mv2 750-850w). Channel Well Tech to be exact. They are generally a solid OEM. Of course, the platform of the CX is indeed a budget line of Corsair where the 430~600w are base on a modified DSA-II and the 750w variant is base on the PUQ-B platform (which is a solid mid-range platform; however, Corsair cheap out on the capacitor and fan than other units that are base on it, such as the Thermaltake Smart SP-750M).

If you are looking at oems here is a good place to go they have charts with just about every maker and just about every model. I just dont see the point of going with a budget power supply unless you are purchasing a budget oriented build when you throw in a GTX770 spending 40 bucks or so on a PSU to insure your power delivery seems pretty lame in comparison to the 400 dollars you just spend on a gpu

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-5.html

Here's another one that contains compilation of reviews as well (it isn't as intensive in regards to listing every manufactururer / OEM possible though. But having a list of reviews is rather helpful in determine how well each of the PSU performs / build). http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Edit: I also agree with the fact that I wouldn't go with a budget, group regulated power supply on a high-end setup. If they can afford a 770, then they can afford a higher-quality unit.

Here's another one that contains compilation of reviews as well (it isn't as intensive in regards to listing every manufactururer / OEM possible though. But having a list of reviews is rather helpful in determine how well each of the PSU performs / build). http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

thats a handy link I'll have to bookmark that one as well it has charts as well that are pretty extensive. And to note Jonnyguru is the big stamp of approval power supply wise which his link includes as reviewed products. 

MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozer - 214 watts (Furmark load, since everyone argues when I put the 180 watt practical load)

Intel Core i7 4770k - ~65 watts (guru3d claimed ~135 watts system consumption at load,and idle was ~70,so 55-65 watts)

Fractal Design Define R4 fans - 4 watts max 

H100i pump - 2 watts max

H100i fans - 5 watts max

Samsung 840 SSD 120GB - 3 watts max

Samsung 224BB DVD - 10 watts max

Corsair SP120 High Performance (x2) - 6 watts max

Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition - 2 watts max

Western Digital Caviar Red 2TB (x2) - 20 wattas max

Generic Hard drives 200-500GB (x3) - 30 watts max

~361 watts total at max power consumption,(will never happen in a real life scenario,though even if by some miracle it did,it'd only happen for a moment or two due to some strange anomaly)

I'd recommend going with something like a seasonic G series 550 watt or X series 650 watt

I'd also consider switching to a ADATA SSD over that 840,because the regular 840's have relatively slow write speeds at only 130MB/s.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552