Newbie water cooler asking veterans a quick question!

ijks

Hello everyone! After watching Linus's water cooling guide, I decided to make my very first water cooled system, but wanted to get some confirmation from the veterans before I order all my parts.

The way my case is set up, I can put in 1 triple radiator. 120mm or 140mm. So it will be either a 360 radiator or a 420 radiator.

I am going to use the loop for the CPU, 1 GPU, Mosfet, and Southbridge (Full MB block which will have 1 inlet and 1 outlet).

The questions are, will a 360 radiator be enough for that loop? By using a 420 radiator, will I see a significant change in temps? Also, does having 2 radiators instead of 1 make a huge difference in temps? Because if so, I can add in a 2nd radiator, but would need to modify my case in order to do so.

Also, for my last question, I wanted to check if doing this loop is possible :

_____ <- GPU block inlet/outlet

l <- l <- Tubing

l <- l <- Tubing

Because currently all the GPU loop configurations I saw so far looks like this :

l <- Tubing

l________ <- GPU block inlet/outlet

Tubing -> l

Tubing -> l

I apologize for my crude drawing haha.

Thank you for the help.

Edit : Bah! For some reason the drawings came out weird. Basically, can I loop the GPU in a U-turn type of way, or does it have to go in from one end, and out the opposite end?

welcome to the TechTips forum,

what case? what system board? ahhh.. just give your rig specs would be helpful.

generally a 360 can support CPU/GPU, but it will depend on overclock(s), case, fans and setup.

most use two radiators for best performance in cooling.

the lower is for single card GPU flow. using the first will prolly null any flow to the GPU as "restiction"

will cause the flow to find the least path to resistance. GPU(s) are very resistant.

airdeano

If possible, go with the larger rad. Gives you more headroom and then it also allows you to run your fans at a slower speed, keeping your system even quieter.... Running them a bit faster will also give you bit better temps then the 360... more surface area for cooling...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thank you for the replys!

@airdeano - I will be using the ASUS Maximus V Formula.

I won't be pushing overclocking to the max or anything. Just decent overclocking without changing the voltages too much.

So, going single Rad won't be a problem? Will the temps be significantly lower going two radiators?

Also, for my GPU loop question, are you guys saying that having the tube go in and out the same side of the waterblock is bad?

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the replys! @airdeano - I will be using the ASUS Maximus V Formula. I won't be pushing overclocking to the max or anything. Just decent overclocking without changing the voltages too much. So' date=' going single Rad won't be a problem? Will the temps be significantly lower going two radiators? Also, for my GPU loop question, are you guys saying that having the tube go in and out the same side of the waterblock is bad? Thanks for the help! [/quote']

Its fine to do it the way you showed the inlet/outlet on a GPU.

You should not that in a GPU block you typically get this:

AquagrATIx-7900.jpg

As you can see both sides have the "dummy" fittings in them to stop water going out that way. You can unscrew any of them and replace it with a real fitting to let water come through.

The only thing you can't do is this flow: (Using your drawing technique)

tubing-> |

tubing-> |

--------------

tubing-> |

tubing-> |

so you can't have it flowing out of fitting opposite to the other one you are using.

This is all pretty self explanatory once you see how the block is made. Just use logic. You need to have the water go through the block and you're fine.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

a single 360 is enough, but if you can fit a 420 then definately go for that. it will give you better temps, slower (more importantly quieter) fans, and more room for overclocking etc, or even upgrades.

I will be using the ASUS Maximus V Formula. I won't be pushing overclocking to the max or anything. Just decent overclocking without changing the voltages too much. So, going single Rad won't be a problem? Will the temps be significantly lower going two radiators? Also, for my GPU loop question, are you guys saying that having the tube go in and out the same side of the waterblock is bad? Thanks for the help!

dunna know what CPU max is, we mainly look for loaded temperatures for the CPU/GPU to determine

how much thermal control is needed to achieve a goal of X°. what case are you using.. i have a M5F

as well...

for single GPU block, you'll use either one the rear and one of the front ports (choice of the upper or lower for routing).

this will make the coolant flow through the card..

airdeano