Why AMD is so important?

Punch

Mericans cant speak English

edit ure welcome to fix it

319052.jpg

He speaks a different English, leave him alone.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Intel would not charge $700 for an i5 because then nobody would buy their processors, and that would completely stop advancement in new technologies, which is not what intel wants.

Not everything is about money money money in this world, and (most) large companies understand this.

Also another thing is that if intel became a monopoly charging $700 for an i5, it would be easy for other companies to rise and make less powerful but cheaper CPUs that people could actually afford. This would then turn into new competition, bringing down prices again because people would pay less for cheaper CPUs than $700 for an i5. This is why even if AMD didnt exist, intel would not increase the price of their CPUs by 400% since that would basically make them go bankrupt.

yes they would still buy them, simply because there is no other choice. Thats a monopoly.

Even Intel cares about profit and their bottom line, just like every other company.

It is extremely difficult to start a CPU manufacturing company, not to mention the extreme initial funding.

Intel can't go bankrupt as an monopoly (or at least very hard to and can easily put prices down once a competitor arises to bankrupt them and then jack up prices again) for as long as high end computers are required in today's society.

Intel would not charge $700 for an i5 because then nobody would buy their processors, and that would completely stop advancement in new technologies, which is not what intel wants.

Not everything is about money money money in this world, and (most) large companies understand this.

Also another thing is that if intel became a monopoly charging $700 for an i5, it would be easy for other companies to rise and make less powerful but cheaper CPUs that people could actually afford. This would then turn into new competition, bringing down prices again because people would pay less for cheaper CPUs than $700 for an i5. This is why even if AMD didnt exist, intel would not increase the price of their CPUs by 400% since that would basically make them go bankrupt.

Insert Nvidia making desktop-grade CPUs.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Insert Nvidia making desktop-grade CPUs.

though it would still be a very big investment. Though it wouldnt be impossible for them.

Didn't think of that. But they would probably still have to rely on Global Foundries, etc., etc. and that would determine their die size and such because Nvidia is still a relatively small company to build their own fabs.

yes they would still buy them, simply because there is no other choice. Thats a monopoly.

Even Intel cares about profit and their bottom line, just like every other company.

It is extremely difficult to start a CPU manufacturing company, not to mention the extreme initial funding.

Intel can't go bankrupt as an monopoly (or at least very hard to and can easily put prices down once a competitor arises to bankrupt them and then jack up prices again) for as long as high end computers are required in today's society.

The fact is that if they put their prices up that high, new competitors would come, even if their CPUs were extremely low end.

For most people, buying an affordable bad-performing CPU would be the only option, not spending $700 for an i5.

Due to the huge amounts of people that would be buying those cheap CPUs, intel would have to drop their prices to appeal to consumers again (which is sort of what they are doing with AMD right now, since AMD is only making budget CPUs)

Also if intel really did put prices up that high, it would be easy for some other silicon manufacturer to start a kickstarter and raise millions to create affordable CPUs that perform badly, but which people can actually buy.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hell, Intel and Nvidia could probably kill AMD if they actually wanted to. Both want AMD around because they're both direct competitors to AMD.

All companies are American based, if none of them have any sort of competition they would eventually be scrutinized and held with antitrust limitations/punishment.

And neither can do any sort of charade that American ISPs do.

Error: 410

Just remember, AMD is winning the console wars right now.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

there would be ZERO competition which equals less new goodies for the consumers and a slower advancement in technology

Which is exactly why AMD needs to step up their game, Intel has slowed down and taken it easy because there's really no competition. 

It's almost always that Intel > AMD for a CPU choice. 

The G3258, 4690 and 4790 are pretty much all you need to know about when it comes to the low, mid-high and high end processors. 

But there is the >$200 price difference with the G3258 and 4690K. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Just remember, AMD is winning the console wars right now.

Winning in "the console wars", is that really an accomplishment?  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

It is when you're making buttloads of cash for hardware that you basically had in a theoretical bin somewhere in the attic.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

Actually it is. The repercussions of Games being built around AMD's APU architecture will be felt heavily in the next couple years. Per core performance in AAA gaming has been dying slowly with bigger engines like Crytek 3 and Frostbite 3 that can scale across 8 threads with ease... I wager by the end of next year that 4-thread CPU's will be an absolute bare minimum for most AAA games to even run.  

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Actually it is. The repercussions of Games being built around AMD's APU architecture will be felt heavily in the next couple years. Per core performance in AAA gaming has been dying slowly with bigger engines like Crytek 3 and Frostbite 3 that can scale across 8 threads with ease... I wager by the end of next year that 4-thread CPU's will be an absolute bare minimum for most AAA games to even run.  

And that's why I went with a Xeon. I hope the four extra virtual cores are enough though for a while.

True, sucks to have a G3258 in that case...

Or really any Pentium/Celeron. 

And yes, I know the N2940 (and some others) has 4 cores/threads, but the performance would still be horrid. 

... This is a tech forum. I know it's a bit abrasive of me, and it's great that you, being new to the field of computers, understand it well, but most of us already know this to have been the case since the dawn of time. AMD and Intel have a history in microprocessor competition spanning 45 years.

You know who I really hate.....people who answer their own questions

Lol I was gonna make that joke!!

Simple, with out AMD everyone would suffer as Intel would raise their prices and lower their quality.

Intel be like c'mon AMD you gotta hurry up on getting up to date. 

I really hope Dr. Lisa Su can bring AMD back to life. Because I really want to go AMD but Intel X99 beats anything AMD has atm.

Skylake-E or Broadwell-E will be out by the time Zen is expected launch, AMD needs to get Zen right or we need to see a third brand come into play for desktop CPUs. Which might be a hard thing with mobile applications taking up most of the market. Maybe Lisa is the Doctor AMD has been needing or the doctor is in. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization