Some audio nitpicks about the channel's videos

I hope this is the correct forum for this, thought the Videos subforum was more about discussing specific videon.

Now, I've been watching for some time already, but just now had to make an account for some user feedback. I love the videos, but a couple things with the audio are affecting my listening negatively and I've noticed it makes me much less likely to click on a video nowadays. Unfortunately this criticism is directed just at Luke, but I assure you it's not personal :)

1. In the WAN show videos, which I enjoy listening to while multitasking, I wish there'd be some kind of audio limiting of some sort. Luke has a tendency towards sudden loud bursts of laughter, which when listening with headphones on often become VERY loud and ultimately annoying, since it's hard to relax and listen to the show when you're suddenly startled by a loud noise. Linus too is guilty of loudness occasionally, but I've seen him acknowledge that himself though. I'm no audio expert, but maybe there's some way of normalizing it to lower the levels of loud noises like that? If I lower the volume the speech itself becomes too low to listen to. 

2. Secondly, in the videos which Luke are presenting, it sounds to me like there's a different mic setup from the other videos? The mic sounds sensitive, as in so much that it picks up almost all mouth sounds, including saliva and "smacking" sounds, which I feel are very distracting and makes me more likely to avoid videos presented by Luke. Again, nothing personal! I'm pretty sure it's a mic thing though since I have no problem listening to Luke in videos like the WAN show, for instance (excluding the loud noises in 1. of course).

I'm sure this might sound nitpicky to some, but I assure you for me it's not a minor issue. Whether I not I suffer from Misophonia or not is uncertain, but I know this is a condition that is shared by many. Some are just more sensitive to sound and I think it wouldn't be asking overly much to slightly tweak the sounds to more easily listenable levels.

Thanks for the great work on the videos! Keep it up!

I hope this is the correct forum for this, thought the Videos subforum was more about discussing specific videon.

Now, I've been watching for some time already, but just now had to make an account for some user feedback. I love the videos, but a couple things with the audio are affecting my listening negatively and I've noticed it makes me much less likely to click on a video nowadays. Unfortunately this criticism is directed just at Luke, but I assure you it's not personal :)

1. In the WAN show videos, which I enjoy listening to while multitasking, I wish there'd be some kind of audio limiting of some sort. Luke has a tendency towards sudden loud bursts of laughter, which when listening with headphones on often become VERY loud and ultimately annoying, since it's hard to relax and listen to the show when you're suddenly startled by a loud noise. Linus too is guilty of loudness occasionally, but I've seen him acknowledge that himself though. I'm no audio expert, but maybe there's some way of normalizing it to lower the levels of loud noises like that? If I lower the volume the speech itself becomes too low to listen to. 

2. Secondly, in the videos which Luke are presenting, it sounds to me like there's a different mic setup from the other videos? The mic sounds sensitive, as in so much that it picks up almost all mouth sounds, including saliva and "smacking" sounds, which I feel are very distracting and makes me more likely to avoid videos presented by Luke. Again, nothing personal! I'm pretty sure it's a mic thing though since I have no problem listening to Luke in videos like the WAN show, for instance (excluding the loud noises in 1. of course).

I'm sure this might sound nitpicky to some, but I assure you for me it's not a minor issue. Whether I not I suffer from Misophonia or not is uncertain, but I know this is a condition that is shared by many. Some are just more sensitive to sound and I think it wouldn't be asking overly much to slightly tweak the sounds to more easily listenable levels.

Thanks for the great work on the videos! Keep it up!

In answer to your first point: I think they have a compressor in their livestream audio setup. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have this set properly, although Linus has said he is not an audio guy at all (recording/live sound sort of audio that is).

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

You do know they are computer guys and not sound audio guys right.  

Wow... You must be really annoyed by action movies. 

Only when watching on TV, in movie theaters the sound is mixed properly, movies on DVD or Netflix aren't specifically mixed to suit home theater systems, so you often have to sit with remote in hand raising the volume when they speak and lowering it when there's action. This is a known problem, and VLC can remedy it to some extent. But still an issue for many. Looper is a great example of such a movie, really low speaking volume, then suddenly massive gun sounds or explosions. In those cases, yeah I get annoyed, and so do many others.

You do know they are computer guys and not sound audio guys right.  

Yes, but if you're running a business that's not really an excuse. Audio is a big part of Youtube videos, I think it's something important to consider if you want to be among the best. If you just want to pump out Youtube video after another to make money, sure, you don't have to care. But Linus clearly isn't one of those people, it's evident he's interested in providing quality content to subscribers.

In answer to your first point: I think they have a compressor in their livestream audio setup. Unfortunately, they don't appear to have this set properly, although Linus has said he is not an audio guy at all (recording/live sound sort of audio that is).

Okay, thanks for the info. Seeing as the company is growing and videos are being uploaded more frequently, I'm sure more emphasis will be put on audio as well.

Yes, but if you're running a business that's not really an excuse. Audio is a big part of Youtube videos, I think it's something important to consider if you want to be among the best. If you just want to pump out Youtube video after another to make money, sure, you don't have to care. But Linus clearly isn't one of those people, it's evident he's interested in providing quality content to subscribers.

They did get better audio from years ago but instead they choose to go with better image quality.  Also does give good quality work that's why he and the rest of the media group is trusted and partnered by major companies.  They have bigger things to deal than just fixing the audio.  To get videos out on time they need to sacrifice some things for others.  

in the new office fund raiser there is a tear where linus will get/ sub contract a audio engineer to set the gear up properly at the new office

maybe they will look at a proper audio booth for voice over's etc for the new office.

maybe  @nicklmg can give a more definitive answer

Its all about those volumetric clouds

in the new office fund raiser there is a tear where linus will get/ sub contract a audio engineer to set the gear up properly at the new office

maybe they will look at a proper audio booth for voice over's etc for the new office.

maybe  @nicklmg can give a more definitive answer

That sounds promising, let's hope so!

Not gonna lie Luke's laughing has spooked me while watching the show.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

One of their targets for their fundraiser is that if they reach it they will hire an audio professional to come in and set them up properly. In all honesty, though, it's only stuff that people with good headphones will be able to hear and that only picky people will complain about. I'm not that fussy, as far as I'm concerned, as long as I can hear and understand them with relative clariity, I am happy. I mean, nothing they have ever come out with has been as bad as Tek Syndicate's The Tek 0161.