Gettin a soundcard (soundcard virgin)

ice_hiboy

Sup everybody.

Thinking about getting a sound card. I have some Logitech Z-5500 that I have used for console games and movies for a long time now, its hooked up to my big TV.

Now with Steam big picture and all of that. I wanna start to play some pc games with som sweet sounds. But my onboard soundcard is shit apparently. No surround what so ever.

I use spdif with the Z-5500. Has looked at http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d-pcie/1-20885.aspx since it has spdif, dts live and so on.

Asking you guys if its a good card og for better alternative. Dont really wanna spend a lot of cash. Also thinking about gettin some Steelseries 7H a some time.

Thanks in advance From Denmark (I live there, you know the country) :)

If you just need the digital 5.1 output you can go with every soundcard which has Dolby Digital Live.

When you use the digital output there is no difference in sound quality.

I would recommend the Asus Xonar DX, Asus driver (based on my experience) are way better than creative drivers.

any soundcard will be a step up from on board, so no matter what you get it should sound better, if your looking into get a headset and you would like to use this with your speakers then you might want and amplified sound card. they will sound much better then any on board or low level sound card because i will be able to drive your headphones and speaker with precision. asus make some nice sound cards that all sound great and i personally have this http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=49090&promoid=1444 wich with my Siberia V2 sound great. so i hope this helped :) good luck

just go for the best you can buy in the xonar series, or the new creative z series (afaik xonars are better constructed though)

Onboard sound sucks indeed. I have the asus essence stx and I'm in love with it. Cannot recommend it enough! For headphones, I've used steelseries in the past (my last ones were 5H) and I enjoyed it, but I prefer my sennheiser pc350. I think that steelseries is a little bit overpriced and the construction isnt solid enough. I would look into some good sound quality brands (like sennheiser), and a random microphone.

Hey again

I have looked at Asus cards. Just cant figure out how you get spdif out of them :)

Nevermind found out you get an adapter silly me :P

So the Xonar DX is epic for gaming ?

ya, if you are only going to use speakers, xonar dx, for headphones, xonar dgx

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

going for a combo :)

Speakers for singleplayer and headset for multiplayer. Think iam just gonna buy the Xonar DX

Why buy the Z-5500? For that price you can find some low-end Onkyo/Yamaha amplifiers with 5.1 speakers that sounds better than any Logitech ones.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

You don't really need to think when you buy a Xonar sound card. Just point, click, and be happy. :)

@Metallurgico I have had them for many years now and dont really wanna change them :)

@Money sounds good :) think iam buying a DX sometime next week :P

@Metallurgico I have had them for many years now and dont really wanna change them :)

My bad, I understood you were looking for some speakers too.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

Honestly if you're running Logitech speakers, just go with an ASUS Xonar card and find one that matches the jack requirements for them. One of the Xonar gaming cards is probably your best choice because they are made to enhance some of the little features and sounds that most audiophiles don't want adjusted, like bass and whatnot. I can personally promise you'll be happy with anything in the Xonar line though.

The new Creative Sound Blaster Z looks promising.

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Iam now looking at the sound blaster Z and it looks good. Has headphone amp. Dolby live and dts and so on. Cost around the same as Xonar DX.

Might get a Z.