Custom painted Vengeance LP RAM mod!

Welcome to my Corsair Vengeance LP painting mod-log!

Today I will be showing you the process of how I painted my RAM to make it white.

The RAM is a 4x4GB kit (16GB total) of Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 1.5v.

This mod was inspired by the white corsair Vengeance LP RAM seen in this image:

VENG_LP_W_x2a.png

When I first bought my RAM a few years ago I did not have a set colour scheme for my system, so I just bought a quad channel set of black. Recently I have been pushing my PC towards a full-white colour scheme, and white ram was on the list. I first considered buying 32GB of dominator platinum as an upgrade, but I didn't have an extra $600 to spend on RAM. Instead of buying two kits of the white RAM I posted a picture of above (which is basically the exact same as what I currently have, except with a black PCB and lover operating voltage) I decided to just plastidip mine.

I followed this useful video tutorial to know what it would be like when I started this project. It gave me a pretty good idea of the process.

Here are the pics!

This is just after removing the heat spreaders from the RAM.

001.jpg

The thermal adhesive was hard to remove, and just like the video, it took a long time to get off of the RAM chips. The heat spreaders were easier because I just had to soak them in alcohol and rub it off.

003.jpg

To paint with plastidip, the thing you are painting cannot touch anything else or it will get stuck. The plastidip would have glued my heat spreaders to the cardboard, so I used cable marrets hotglued to the bottom (where there will be no paint) to hold the pieces of the cardboard.

014.jpg

Then I started painting. A few light coats at first to get the base layer stuck on the metal...

021.jpg

10 coats later...starting to look white!

025.jpg

In the mean time, the bare DIMMs sit inside my PC...

036.jpg

Here they are, ready to be re-clothed!

037.jpg

Here I am using double sided tape to secure the RAM to the heat spreader. Before you comment on this, be patient and wait till the end of my post, I will explain more there ;)

039.jpg

Finished painting!

028.jpg

On the DIMMs:

040.jpg

See this gap? The adhesive tape I used was a bit thicker than the stock thermal pads, which makes the heat spreaders sit apart from each other.

042.jpg

043.jpg

Solution? RC car tire glue. Strong, instant, transparent.

044.jpg

The process of gluing...

045.jpg

A few drops are more than enough strength.

046.jpg

And the finished product! You can see the glue because of the glare. When it is inside the case, it is almost invisible IRL.

048.jpg

No more gap!

050.jpg

All DIMMs finished. I feel proud. :)

051.jpg

This is what they look like inside a PC:

055.jpg

Keep in mind this is my old case. I recently switched to an NZXT S340, and it looks much better there. S340 mod-log coming soon!

057.jpg

And last one!

059.jpg

065.jpg

Ok so that was a long process...

Let me explain why I used double sided tape to secure the heat spreaders on to the RAM.

1) The guy in the video used double sided tape, and has not had any issues for the past 4 years or however long that video has been up.

2) RAM doesn't get very hot unless you overclock it.

3) RAM heat spreaders are mostly for looks, although they do dissipate a bit of heat. Many budget kits come with no heatspreaders because its not necessary.

4) I do not have ANY place near me that sells thermal pads.

So I have noticed my ram does get hotter than before, about 50C when before it was at about 40C, but RAM can take pretty high temperatures, 70+C safely. I have decided that when I get a chance, I will order some proper double -sided thermal adhesive from this site I found called DAZMODE which is located in Canada. When I get the thermal adhesive I will replace the tape I used. For now, the temps are safe and nothing will be damaged, but in the long run I will feel better having the heatspreaders doing some work, even if they are 50% covered in paint, t will still help dissipate the heat.

Overall I think it was a successful mod, and I really like how it looks. I think I have some special feelings towards matte-white paint :lol:

If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks for visiting, and look forward to my upcoming S340 mod-log!

Spoiler

128.JPG

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i would keep the gap between it looks like the ram is bursting out of his shell because of all the power it has if you could fit a small led inside them it would be awesome ;)

still love your work but for me to much white.