Is this PSU enough for AMD R9 290?

Xyb3rNinja

Hi. I would like to know whether the following PSU be able to run a single factory overclocked AMD R9 290 video card (XFX Black Edition or Sapphire Tri-X)

My other system specs:

Intel Core i5 4570 CPU
Single stick of 8GB @ 1600MHz
1x SSD and 2x HDDs

Can I safely use the R9 290 video card with the above mentioned PSU?

Never heard of it, but 46a on the 12v rail and 80+ gold is plenty for a single 290.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

My Cooler Master V750 was not able to handle my Gigabyte R9 290. Good thing it gave up before warranty expires.

I think the minimum requirement for your XFX R9 290 is 750W

My Cooler Master V750 was not able to handle my Gigabyte R9 290. Good thing it gave up before warranty expires.

That PSU should be able to handle crossfire 290's, there was probably something else wrong...

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That PSU should be able to handle crossfire 290's, there was probably something else wrong...

Yeah maybe the PSU just gave up. But given that R9 290 requires 600W, plus I have 9 Jetflo case fans, CD/DVD Drive, 1SSD and 2 HDD, Case Led Lights and an OC'd CPU that caused it to give up.

Yeah maybe the PSU just gave up. But given that R9 290 requires 600W, plus I have 9 Jetflo case fans, CD/DVD Drive, 1SSD and 2 HDD, Case Led Lights and an OC'd CPU that caused it to give up.

290 draws no where near 600 watts, and fans/dvd drives/ssds/hdds barely use any power in comparison. 

It probably just flat out failed for no reason (electronics do that), because I doubt you were even close to pushing it.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Never heard of it, but 46a on the 12v rail and 80+ gold is plenty for a single 290.

The FSP Aurum S is a good quality PSU. I recommended it to someone for a 780 recently, has worked great

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

That's incorrect.

Just because your PSU failed (which happens, besides CM PSUs are worse than most) doesn't mean 750watts is the requirement.

Glad you can get it replaced under warranty though

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Your psu was faulty.

The minimum requirements of 750w for the 290/290x on graphics card websites are highly inflated and should be ignored. I recommend a decent 550w for a system with a single 290/290x.  

An oc'ed 290 pulls up to ~300w at load. The numbers you have are from an unreliable source.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."