R9 290X or GTX 970 they both have the same price,...

enRodjavel

300W TDP (290X) vs 145W TDP (970) that's why.

Really? You have a problem with power draw? Maybe PC isn't for you then. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Really? You have a problem with power draw? Maybe PC isn't for you then. 

No, I don't care too much about power draw. OP wanted to know the difference between the 290X and 970 and TDP is the most significant difference. 

This higher TDP translates to more heat output that needs to be dissipated, something I do care about. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

No, I don't care too much about power draw. OP wanted to know the difference between the 290X and 970 and TDP is the most significant difference. 

This higher TDP translates to more heat output that needs to be dissipated, something I do care about. 

Do you not have the fans which are capable of moving air out of a case? TDP/heat shouldn't be much of an issue at this point with the hundreds of fan and case options.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Stop spewing that bullshit, they both have their fair share of issues.

OP, if you don't care about the extra power/heat and you're gaming at 4k, get the 290x. It stomps the 970 in a lot of games at 4k. If you're gaming under 4k and or want lower heat/power consumption, get the 970; it beats out the 290x at lower resolutions.

Bullshit? I am not trying to bullshit or be a fanboy,but the 970 does have fewer problems than the 290x. I was also considering the 290x before and did some research on it. The 290x throttles, has heat issues, loud, and black screens and artifacts  are more common. The most common problem for the 970 is just coil whine.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Do you not have the fans which are capable of moving air out of a case? TDP/heat shouldn't be much of an issue at this point with the hundreds of fan and case options.

Mate, if you don't mind the higher TDP, that's fine. Get whatever GPU you want and enjoy. :)

I do care, it's 155W less of heat that my cooling setup will have to remove from my components. This allows for a quieter and more efficient system that pumps less heat into my room. 

If two GPU's can be had for the same price and one is significantly more efficient than the other, why wouldn't you get that one over the other?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Bullshit? I am not trying to bullshit or be a fanboy,but the 970 does have fewer problems than the 290x. I was also considering the 290x before and did some research on it. The 290x throttles, has heat issues, loud, and black screens and artifacts  are more common. The most common problem for the 970 is just coil whine.

Stop looking at the reference design. It does not throttle (assuming you have decent airflow ofc), it does not have heat issues (it's made to get up to 95c but people say they rarely see it above 75c (on aftermarket coolers)), noise depends on the cooler, and black screens/artifacts happen to every GPU; it's luck of the draw.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Fate is right, with electronic components you don't know what issued you'll get. Your card could have the loudest coil whine in history and yet someone else who owns the same card and cooler could have none. It's a lucky dip. And let's be honest

No matter what card the OP buys, they still won't be able to play a ubisoft game

If you game a lot with titles that support Mantle I'd go 290x, especially for games like Battlefield 4 where the extra performance from that API is noticeable. If not, go 970.

The 290x throttles, has heat issues, loud

Those issues were from the reference cooler, i.e. that's the one which Linus has. Not relevant to this discussion.

Anyway based on the two choices here OP should get the 970 since it's $50 cheaper and performs just as well at regular resolutions.