Cool Rare Weather Event Turned The Grand Canyon Into A Sea Of Clouds (images) Dec11

Thought this was a cool thing to share>>

Image/news courtesy Buzz feed & National Park Service, Maci MacPherson

Regular Grand canyon View..

enhanced-buzz-wide-5299-1418353984-7.jpg

Rare even occurred on Thursday Dec. 11, 2014

enhanced-buzz-wide-15637-1418352910-7.jp

enhanced-buzz-wide-15304-1418352830-18.j

enhanced-buzz-wide-14656-1418353905-19.j

enhanced-buzz-wide-30607-1385853533-25.j

okay the last one is an oldie, but cool nevertheless

How it happens/ed:

A cloud inversion occurs when a layer of warmer air above “caps” the cooler air below, essentially keeping it from rising.because fog that has been shrouding parts of northern Arizona accumulated in the Grand Canyon overnight. Without any wind to clear the fog out, it built up into a sea of clouds. Then as the sun rose and warmed the air overhead, the clouds were trapped. the weather event  only happens there about once every several years.

The offtopicness is strong with this one..

Leave a comment if you think it's cool...or just troll or whatever :P

Details separate people.

Wow that is spectacular! Makes me wanna jump onto the clouds

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

pretty cool man

Its all about those volumetric clouds

This used to happen where my ex lives in Switzerland. She lives in a mountain village and there's a basin below with a lake and mountains on all sides, and sometimes clouds would create what locals called a "cloud lake" below that could last there for days. Was always really weird because it'd be so sunny above it, but below it was always cold and rainy :(

I'll try get some pictures off my phone later for you  guys :P

-snip-

Here's a few photos I took of the same thing occurring in Switzerland  :)

these photos were taken from either my GF's balcony or from just outside her house. All photos are from my phone, unfortunately.

post-68461-0-40790600-1418469003_thumb.j

post-68461-0-02299400-1418469012_thumb.j

post-68461-0-61262900-1418469028_thumb.j

post-68461-0-86698100-1418469052_thumb.j

Here's a few photos I took of the same thing occurring in Switzerland  :)

these photos were taken from either my GF's balcony or from just outside her house. All photos are from my phone, unfortunately.

still looks freaking cool, i could only imagine this beauty shot in a dslr or a 4k capable cell, You're very lucky i guess, must be a superb feel.. waking up early to see this quietly floating by with the fresh morning air to breath & that fresh morning dew chill on your skin :) instead of staring into a wallpaper..

Details separate people.

This used to happen where my ex lives in Switzerland. She lives in a mountain village and there's a basin below with a lake and mountains on all sides, and sometimes clouds would create what locals called a "cloud lake" below that could last there for days. Was always really weird because it'd be so sunny above it, but below it was always cold and rainy :(

I'll try get some pictures off my phone later for you  guys :P

something similar happens in a real life British town called Lower Uncton, though the original cause was different.

In the old world, a man by the name of Seamus McBundy insulted a fat female witch of great power, and she cursed his home town of lower uncton to dwell in darkness until the last of his male line was destroyed.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Aaaaannnnddd.... wallpaper

I am joining you :) ... Now, which car wallpaper to replace this with....

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May