Can't notice a difference between 60hz and 144hz (lightboost off)

H4X3R

I can't seem to notice a difference coming from an IPS 60hz to a 144hz TN panel when playing tf2. I am using an ICC profile but tf2 overrides that.

my fps_max is set to 288 and i achieve above 144 most of the time.

Could someone convince me that i am seeig a difference?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Just be happy man. If 60Hz is all you need then it's a great thing. (at least for your wallet :P )

Just be happy man. If 60Hz is all you need then it's a great thing. (at least for your wallet :P )

But how do i justify the 144hz monitor i ALREADY bought? :(

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

If you can't see it you can't see it, honestly you should have gotten some hands on time with a 144Hz monitor before committing to one. Some people can see it(I can) some people can't though I believe that people can become sensitive to the refresh rates over time so it's possible that after becoming accustomed to using 144Hz for awhile that you will notice a difference if you drop back to 120hz or 60hz. Out of curiosity how long have you had it?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Well, when I change from 60Hz to 75Hz I can tell a difference. But 144Hz monitors are for pro gamers and Linus who can see a difference.

If you can't see it you can't see it, honestly you should have gotten some hands on time with a 144Hz monitor before committing to one. Some people can see it(I can) some people can't though I believe that people can become sensitive to the refresh rates over time so it's possible that after becoming accustomed to using 144Hz for awhile that you will notice a difference if you drop back to 120hz or 60hz. Out of curiosity how long have you had it?

I did, i thought i noticed a difference when using my bros vg248q. I also hope that i will somehow get accustomed to 144hz and then be able to notice the difference :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

But how do i justify the 144hz monitor i ALREADY bought? :(

Oh... First of all just make sure you are using DVI, DP or the HDMI with 120hz support (i think it's the HDMI 1.4b) 

If you are using the DVI or the DP then you probably don't play games that need it. TF2 is a nice game to test it, but the textures aren't complicated. 

Try it with other fps games like BF3/4/hardline, or Counter Strike etc or a racing game. 

Oh... First of all just make sure you are using DVI, DP or the HDMI with 120hz support (i think it's the HDMI 1.4b) 

If you are using the DVI or the DP then you probably don't play games that need it. TF2 is a nice game to test it, but the textures aren't complicated. 

Try it with other fps games like BF3/4/hardline, or Counter Strike etc or a racing game.

Not a noob, i used a dvi d and the approriate i/p oit on my 970 and set it tp 144hz in windows. I'll try BF3 once i get home.
Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Once you've come accustomed to playing at 144hz, play at 60hz in the same game.

Once you've come accustomed to playing at 144hz, play at 60hz in the same game.

It'll probably be a big difference :P

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I believe that if a customer has to try and find the difference between 2 totally different products, then they got suckered to marketing gimmicks. 

It'll probably be a big difference :P

It's definitely noticeable but is it worth the TN peasantry? I personally, don't think so. 

A monitor with fantastic colour reproductions is great to watch videos and chill out with as well; viewing angles did affect my choice, I'm currently using my old TN monitor as a second monitor and god damn, it is annoying to see the colour shift. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

It's definitely noticeable but is it worth the TN peasantry? I personally, don't think so. 

A monitor with fantastic colour reproductions is great to watch videos and chill out with as well; viewing angles did affect my choice, I'm currently using my old TN monitor as a second monitor and god damn, it is annoying to see the colour shift.

Looks is not my main issue. After 2 hrs of tweaking it lools acceptable.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I remember when I first seen a high refresh rate monitor. A friend was playing Black ops 2. A game I had played for a few years. He was on an asus 144hz, I had no idea what game he was playing. It looked amazing, I was in shock. Ran to my room and bought a 120hz off craigslist that weekend. Now Im running triple screen. Night and day difference, Wont ever go back to 60, if I can help it. I only play cod and bf4 though.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

The difference is so night and day to me, im shocked every time I read that someone can't tell a difference. I almost envy OP not having the curse of being sensitive to frame rates.

I didnt know some people cant see above 60fps. Now i understand when Ubisoft says 30fps is more cinematic. The person cant see above 30 :D

So much hype for 120-144hz monitors, if only my wallet and brain was ready to live knowing i spent £250 on a monitor.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

• 4 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 9:42 AM, H4X3R said:

I can't seem to notice a difference coming from an IPS 60hz to a 144hz TN panel when playing tf2. I am using an ICC profile but tf2 overrides that.

my fps_max is set to 288 and i achieve above 144 most of the time.

Could someone convince me that i am seeig a difference?

Well you're either trolling or your eyes somehow don't work properly. Literally the second I moved from 60hz to 144hz and moved my mouse on desktop I realised I've been living a lie for the last couple of years :D

2 hours ago, Razwen said:

Well you're either trolling or your eyes somehow don't work properly. Literally the second I moved from 60hz to 144hz and moved my mouse on desktop I realised I've been living a lie for the last couple of years :D

Holy necroing batman !

2014 ..thats impressive... and on ur 1st post to at that. :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 10/15/2019 at 12:31 AM, Razwen said:

It took me a few days to notice the difference, and i really noticed the difference when i put both a 60hz and 144hz display next to each other. Now i can't go back to 60 hz.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:41 AM, SolarNova said:

Holy necroing batman !

2014 ..thats impressive... and on ur 1st post to at that. :P

I'm very surprised that someone decided to write (a totally useless) reply to this old thread as well.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4