Google confirms Nexus 5 production has stopped

XTankSlayerX

Without getting him in here to ask him, i think the reason he didn't give it a glowing review was solely because it broke the Nexus price point and he didn't know if it justified the cost. There is little wrong with the Nexus6, and other than the size and the price, there hasn't been too much criticism of it. And in MKBHD's case, he traditionally likes large phones, so that isn't too surprising that he didn't feel the need to comment much on it

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

While sad, it's not surprising. As devices age the parts drop out of production and the cost increases. I'm sure Qualcomm isn't pumping out Snapdragon 800 chips in a hurried pace anymore. I'd be nice to see a smaller Nexus device but we got what we got, and I'm sure it's selling decently enough.

As for all the arguments about the 6, it makes sense in a way for them to have raised the price. Look how they marketed it. Through service providers. It's $199 on contract. The Note 4 is $299, as is the 6+ (in most places). It has a chance to actually increase sales that way.

I watched MKBHD's and Erica Griffin's reviews and while neither of them outright said that they were crap (because they cannot say it), it was obvious that neither liked it.

The fact that they really didn't like the Nexus line this year was made obvious with them both recommending Note 4 and the Nvidia Shield tablet instead.

They didn't exactly give it a ton of love either. They're their own people, they have their own opinions, and they voice them.
There have been many devices each one has blasted for many reasons.

They just like the other devices more. I fail to see how that's a problem.

Well I hate it for a bunch of reasons and if you look at reviews they aren't exactly praising it. Compare it to the Nexus 7 and it's too expensive and big. Compare it to the iPad Air 2 and it has a bunch of issues (bad buttons, worse display, worse performance, the back flexes etc). Even MKBHD which I think went easy on it doesn't sound that pleased. "You can tell that there is nothing really all that incredible about the hardware of the Nexus 9" and then he talks about stock Android which he describes as "the phone experience blown up to a larger display".

To be fair, the buttons, some display issues, and back flex were all fixed in the latest versions of the hardware.

Aside from the camera, I've loved the Nexus 5.  RIP

And that battery..

I don't remember MKBHD ever giving a negative review to any Google related product, and that's pretty much 95% of his content.

Google only puts out a few devices a year, unless you mean Android products in general.

He's bashed several. The little cube thing they tried to put out, for example.

He says the pros and cons for most devices. There are rarely devices at are absolute shit.

He gave a positive review to Google+. Even people who worked on Google+ say it is shit.

He's heavily Google invested. He uses all of their services heavily, so G+ likely ties in nicely with it.

Not everyone finds it useless. He's in the minority, yes, but still.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well I hate it for a bunch of reasons and if you look at reviews they aren't exactly praising it. Compare it to the Nexus 7 and it's too expensive and big. Compare it to the iPad Air 2 and it has a bunch of issues (bad buttons, worse display, worse performance, the back flexes etc). Even MKBHD which I think went easy on it doesn't sound that pleased. "You can tell that there is nothing really all that incredible about the hardware of the Nexus 9" and then he talks about stock Android which he describes as "the phone experience blown up to a larger display".

Exactly! You killed it with your post on why you hated the Nexus 9. And MKBHD opinion on the matter is interesting too: he's one of the biggest Google fanboys on the internet and even he thought the new line-up was "Meh". He said the Nexus 9 should have been priced 100$ lower too (to make it compete with the Nvidia Shield). On the Nexus 6, the AMOLED screen is quite bad according to Erica Griffin.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

To be fair, the buttons, some display issues, and back flex were all fixed in the latest versions of the hardware.

Too bad you can't fix shit hardware with software, right? Even the software as it is right now doesn't fit a tablet. Google should start treating tablets like first class citizens, with new GUIs to take advantage of the extra space. They went backwards with Lollipop.

On the Nexus 6, the AMOLED screen is quite bad according to Erica Griffin.

Not just according to Erica. The tests Anandtech did on it showed that it's terrible in areas like brightness and color accuracy.

68986.png68989.png

Too bad you can't fix shit hardware with software, right? Even the software as it is right now doesn't fit a tablet. Google should start treating tablets like first class citizens, with new GUIs to take advantage of the extra space. They went backwards with Lollipop.

Not just according to Erica. The tests Anandtech did on it showed that it's terrible in areas like brightness and color accuracy.

I'm going to guess you meant shit software with hardware? ;)

I wasn't addressing that part. I was simply addressing the hardware part that is no longer an issue.

Personally I'm waiting for the Nokia tablet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is a bad decision, not everyone wants to carry a freaking phablet in their pocket.

I'm going to guess you meant shit software with hardware? ;)

I wasn't addressing that part. I was simply addressing the hardware part that is no longer an issue.

Personally I'm waiting for the Nokia tablet.

No I meant what I wrote. What I meant was that (I think) the Nexus 9 has shitty hardware.

No I meant what I wrote. What I meant was that (I think) the Nexus 9 has shitty hardware.

Each to their own I suppose. I don't mind it, considering they fixed the issues that seemed to bother most.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler