views on Apples 5k Monitor

playdon

This thread though xD . The screen is going to be nice ofc. Why would someone vote "no"?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Vote for what you think

Apple do not make a 5k monitor

They make an iMac with a 5k display

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This thread though xD . The screen is going to be nice ofc. Why would someone vote "no"?

Because of the obvious, stupid argument , Apple is 'Overpriced'

The only use i could see for it is picture editing, because it's a really weak machine for video editing, especially at 4k. It's more like an average laptop with a 5k display hooked up to it, in terms of specifications.

Could you add more info to your post about the 5k mac, soms may not know.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Yes, but that is not the question, it is simply if the screen is nice, which it is.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I would prefer the easily scalable 3840x2160 resolution.

If I play 1080p content on it (of which most content is still 1080p) then pixels will be grouped by 4s, not by some strange averaged number that you get by dividing 5k by 1080p.

Also If I were to use a 5k display on windows the scaling would be even worse than 4k already is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The only use i could see for it is picture editing, because it's a really weak machine for video editing, especially at 4k. It's more like an average laptop with a 5k display hooked up to it, in terms of specifications.

because the average laptop has a 84Watt CPU that turbo boosts to 4.4GHz ...

Yes the GPU is on the weak side, but that is the only thing that screams laptop (performance).

So it is good for pretty much anything, that doesn't rely on lots of GPU horse power, which probably is over 90 percent of the tasks people perform on PCs nowadays.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Could you add more info to your post about the 5k mac, soms may not know.

so you say a 4690 is weak?

okey, they could have done better on the r9 290/5 thing, but its hella powerful in processing power

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

I would prefer the easily scalable 3840x2160 resolution.

If I play 1080p content on it (of which most content is still 1080p) then pixels will be grouped by 4s, not by some strange averaged number that you get by dividing 5k by 1080p.

that is NOT how (most) scalers work.

so you say a 4690 is weak?

okey, they could have done better on the r9 290/5 thing, but its hella powerful in processing power

The iMac doesn't have an i5

Lol I was wrong. 

Come on mate... Sometimes Apple products ARE overpriced. Rich people say the pay for the premium feel and i mostly agree, but that "premium" is overpriced, if that makes any sence :P

However, i believe the iMac 5K is a great product and it's price is great as well. 

I Like the display, I think it's very sharp, with good colour reproduction, excellent viewing angles and it makes a lot of sense from a productivity standpoint. Being able to edit 4K footage and have all the editing tools in one plane with it all at native resolutions is a great feature that is surely going to be very attractive to some people.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Come on mate... Sometimes Apple products ARE overpriced. Rich people say the pay for the premium feel and i mostly agree, but that "premium" is overpriced, if that makes any sence :P

However, i believe the iMac 5K is a great product and it's price is great as well. 

They are a bit overpriced for spec heads. Some people rather pay for the ease of the OS. (Like I would, if I didn't game)

that is NOT how (most) scalers work.

If you put a 1080p image on a 4k screen then one pixel of the image will be spread across 4 physical pixels on your screen making them the same colour in groups of 4.

If you stretch 1080p across a 5k screen many of the pixels will be averaged because you cannot divide 5k evenly with 1080p.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you put a 1080p image on a 4k screen then one pixel of the image will be spread across 4 physical pixels on your screen making them the same colour in groups of 4.

If you stretch 1080p across a 5k screen many of the pixels will be averaged because you cannot divide 5k evenly with 1080p.

in theory this would be nice, scalers generally don't work like that. they rather use interpolating and averaging techniques which leads to blurry pictures.

They are a bit overpriced for spec heads. Some people rather pay for the ease of the OS. (Like I would, if I didn't game)

I am with you in this one, but you can use the MacOS at your custom PC as well. 

Would i do it? If i had the time, yes. Do i recommend it? Maybe :P

For the guys with the free time to do this, Macs are overpriced, but i can totally see why someone would buy a Mac. 

I am with you in this one, but you can use the MacOS at your custom PC as well. 

Would i do it? If i had the time, yes. Do i recommend it? Maybe :P

For the guys with the free time to do this, Macs are overpriced, but i can totally see why someone would buy a Mac. 

I would probably make a hackintosh aswell, but other people who have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, won't.

in theory this would be nice, scalers generally don't work like that. they rather use interpolating and averaging techniques which leads to blurry pictures.

That's what happens when you can't evenly divide the screen resolution by the image resolution.

1080p on a 4k display will look exactly like 1080p on a 1080p screen because of the way that 1080 fits perfectly in 2160 and 1920 is a multiple of 3840

Spoiler

That's what happens when you can't evenly divide the screen resolution by the image resolution.

1080p on a 4k display will look exactly like 1080p on a 1080p screen because of the way that 1080 fits perfectly in 2160 and 1920 is a multiple of 3840

no, it doesn't work like that ...

no, it doesn't work like that ...

Yeah it does. Windows will stretch content across the screen using math. If you can't understand that UHD is perfectly 4x1080p then you need to go back to 1+1=2.

The reason linus likes 4k better than those 3k laptop displays or other 5k monitors is because 1080p scales perfectly on 4k.

What happens when you zoom in on an image? Each pixel of the image becomes enlarged so that a square of multiple pixels on your monitor are the same colour as that one pixel from the image. That is called scaling, and having perfect scaling means having full integer multiples.

the 5k display is 5120x2880 which scales perfectly with 1440p content, not 1080p.

5120/1920p=2.66666 <---not an integer

2880/1080=2.66666 <---not an integer

so as you can see upscaling a 1080p image to 5k will have pixel rounding.

on 4k it scales perfectly to 2x, so each pixel of the image will get a 2x2 square (2x2=4 btw) of pixels on the 4k screen.

Spoiler

Seems stupid to me, much like 1080p phones.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Pushing the envelope is good.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

on 4k it scales perfectly to 2x, so each pixel of the image will get a 2x2 square (2x2=4 btw) of pixels on the 4k screen.

OMFG ... no it doesn't ... why? because neither windows, nor your gpu driver, nor your scaler inside your montior supports pixel doubling or 1 to 4 mapping or nearest neighbour interpolation.

IT SIMPLY DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. so it ALWAYS has to use some other sort of scaling algorithm, of which all use some sort of interpolation or averaging.