shouldn't multiplatform games be cheaper?

Snickerzz

Since the next gens and pcs are pretty much the same, porting them shouldn't cost much, so shouldn't the games on multiple platforms be cheaper? like cod, battlefield, gta. ect

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

porting is pretty difficult.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

porting is pretty difficult.

when everythings x86 based?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

yes, because everything might have the same architecture but you still have to make sure it works with the system,for consoles, and the os

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

yes, because everything might have the same architecture but you still have to make sure it works with the system,for consoles, and the os

It still shouldn't cost as much, considering they don't have to fix for the architecture.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Well yeah cos it has to be able to work on hardware other than just what the consoles are using. Ideally, it also has to be able to work on worse hardware than what the consoles have, as well as being able to take advantage of the full power of better hardware, at least to an extent. Ported games also have to support all the PC controls on keyboard/mouse rather than just the controllers, and ideally also have to work on a wider range of resolutions for people who want to do triple screens or game at 4K or 1600p or 1440p, rather than just 1080p.

relatively speaking though it should be much easier. My guess is that the money saved porting the games will go somewhere else. probably straight into the profit but i could just be cynical.

It still should be cheaper though.

Regardless it won't happen. 

It still shouldn't cost as much, considering they don't have to fix for the architecture.

They never had to 'fix' the architecture. All the x86 architecture being shared is going to mean is that the consoles have less of a performance gain from optimisations for their architecture, and PCs get a performance boost since they're not having to emulate. That's great for PC gamers since it means free fps, but it doesn't really decrease the cost of porting the game cos all the expensive things are ones like I mentioned before.

In theory when the platform were different no you should have similar workload on every other machine than the main development one.

Now that "everything is a PC" yes it should be a lot cheaper (ergo simpler and faster) to port games but as development cost is increasing probably not going to affect pricing in the short term.

They never had to 'fix' the architecture. All the x86 architecture being shared is going to mean is that the consoles have less of a performance gain from optimisations for their architecture, and PCs get a performance boost since they're not having to emulate. That's great for PC gamers since it means free fps, but it doesn't really decrease the cost of porting the game cos all the expensive things are ones like I mentioned before.

uh, no thats not really true. the different architectures were a huge problem. you had t be some sort of wizard to get your game working fully on PS3 last gen.

uh, no thats not really true. the different architectures were a huge problem. you had t be some sort of wizard to get your game working fully on PS3 last gen.

What I was saying was they didn't have to take a game, and convert it into x86. All they had to do was write something in x86 to emulate the PS3 game. Therefore there was a performance hit, which now the architectures are shared should be less of an issue. That's what I see as being the main benefit from the shared architectures.

Porting from PS3 to PC was quite a bit easier than trying to port from PC to PS3.

gta5 is not going to be on pc. unless they announced it will ion the last few days. 

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

gta5 is not going to be on pc. unless they announced it will ion the last few days. 

Whilst GTA5 is not a game which interests me, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that it had been listed as a PC version on a couple of European retaliers, and people were taking this as proof that it would indeed be on PC. I'm no authority on the subject ofc, I just wondered if you'd heard about that

yes it will, they've done this for almost all GTAs, console first, then pc. for 5 they haven't confirmed nor denied it coming to pc

Whilst GTA5 is not a game which interests me, I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that it had been listed as a PC version on a couple of European retaliers, and people were taking this as proof that it would indeed be on PC. I'm no authority on the subject ofc, I just wondered if you'd heard about that

i hope your right. and this nime with the x86 consoles i hope they have a good port not gta4...

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I highly doubt that a game dev like EA or Ubisoft are going to lower the price of the games, even if their costs are lowered, They'll be losing that extra profit.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

yeah thats not how it worked......

Maybe they assume it was for PC too, probably happen a couple of times.

Since the next gens and pcs are pretty much the same, porting them shouldn't cost much, so shouldn't the games on multiple platforms be cheaper? like cod, battlefield, gta. ect

Not really, they simply keep the money. But porting games isn't that expensive compared to the budgets of big AAA-titles anyway and will still cost money.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

Like someone said earlier, yes it will be cheaper to port... BUT they still have to make sure it works on ALL OS's even now people are pushing for game DEVS to make games compatible for MAC and some are even doing it for linux so take it as this. They have to make for the most popular OS's. Win 7, win 8, Mac OSX, Sony's OS, and Xbox OS. Yes same X86 base but still will need small amounts of code tweaking. It should be cheaper on the PC since all next gen games pretty much will be on the PC more than console and sold for PC more than ever before. in 2006 PC gaming was not at the level it is now the consoles did out do most gaming PC's then but now they are 5-10 times less powerful than a I7 3970X and a GTX Titan system so they made the games for the console and not so much for the PC but now that is switching.