Looking to buy an Alienware and hook it up to a 65" 1080p HDTV

Moded

Hey guys, I had a few questions about this pc: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-x51-r2/dpdoxy03s2

So here they are:

Is this pc good great or bad ( just the specs not the price)

If I was too hook this pc up to a tv of that size would it strech the game or reduce fps or quality?

Could this pc run games like BF4 at ultra settings at a reasonable framerate?

Do NOT get an alienware, build a PC yourself.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hey guys, I had a few questions about this pc: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-x51-r2/dpdoxy03s2

So here they are:

If I was too hook this pc up to a tv of that size would it strech the game or reduce fps or quality?

760ti... get one with a better video card

pls dont get an alienware

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I guess they're okay... For the size. But 1080p on a 65" TV probably doesn't look the best. 1080p on a 42" TV is bad enough...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well.. To be honest: The PC is not that good. Not even really looking at the price.

You can get something better even out of a pre built from a local store.

just build your own PC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

PLEASE! What ever you do, don't get a Prebuild. You are a member of this forum. This is the best place to get help on building a costume one. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

DO NOT GET THIS. For 1k im sure you could build you a better pc for less

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Dude alienware is one of the worst places to get a pc from now that dell owns them. look online for customer reviews youll see how bad they are their pc's almost always have issues and dell's customer service is horrible they would rather give you the run around for 2 years rather than just fix your pc. plus they are heavily overpriced for what they are. do this build a computer on alienware then go onto pcpartpicker.com and pick all the same components that are inside that computer and youll see just how overpriced they are.

You could build a pc that is in a mini itx build, and silverstone case and have way more power and it will be the same size.

PC specs are OK (760ti isn't that great, I guess it runs 1080p good enough). But seriously, it's alienware and is overpriced and you can build something yourself which WILL be better and you have more control over the aesthetics, cable management, specs etc.

Whether something runs well or not does not depend on the size of the screen but the resolution, here it is 1080p as you have specified (1920x1080). You will get an appreciable frame rate with a 760ti at 1080p at ultra settings on bf4, probably have to have no AA or something). The size of screen matters in terms of quality, 65" 1080P TV will look grainy I'm guessing - even from afar.

But, seriously, like all the others before me have said - please reconsider whether you are going to get an alienware computer or not. They suck for the price, I genuinely am baffled by who would buy these looking at what the PC industry has to offer outside of this.

Money is not an issue for me, and I would build my own pic but this is the only way I could fit it into my media center

Do not buy, 0/10

Here is a part list that will beat the alienware in everything.

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k) | $219.99 @ Newegg 
**Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97pro4) | $96.48 @ Newegg 
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbrl) | $77.99 @ Newegg 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $59.99 @ Newegg 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970wf3oc4gd) | $339.50 @ Newegg 
**Case** | [Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011049ww) | $99.99 @ Newegg 
**Power Supply** | [seaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze) | $81.30 @ Newegg 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615) | $102.98 @ Newegg 
 | | **Total**
 | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1078.22
 | Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 17:43 EST-0500 |
a little bit more expensive but will kill the alienware in gaming. bf4 at 1080p ultra settings 60+ fps.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I agree with the above, at that size 4K is starting to become a necessity.

I know you said not to mention the price, but it's a massive factor. For the price I'd sooner go with something like this:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.99 @ Directron) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($354.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $986.88

For this form factor, and money not being an issue, I urge you to research Silverstone and Lian-Li's HTPC cases and build something in one of those. Price isn't the only issue with this Alienware build, you are going to want a more powerful GPU. At this screen size and resolution you are going to want all the anti-aliasing you can get.

I already have another pc, I'm just looking for one to put in my home theater of reasonable power. I have a job so I don't really care about how I can build a better one, I don't have the time or desire to build another tower. I just want to be able to play some of my steam games in my home theater.

I can also upgrade the graphics card in it to the gtx 980 ( it fits inside I've checked)

This is pretty much what your getting for $1,000 from Alienware 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($296.97 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.78 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC Solar-M1-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($11.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($9.75 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $793.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 17:42 EST-0500

This is what you could do with that same $1,000 it could be cheaper but i made it a white theme figured id mess around with something off the wall lol

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1088.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 17:56 EST-0500

So why not get something that will perform like it costs $1,000 rather than just looking nice.

So here they are:

It also depends on how badly you want the "console" look of the alienware. You can build one that looks similar, but they tend to cost a little more (unless you get one that looks like garbage). What I've compiled here is a mini-itx build, which should still look nice with your home theater setup. Oh and for gaming it blows the alienware out of the water.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($273.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $981.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-06 18:04 EST-0500

I can also upgrade the graphics card in it to the gtx 980 ( it fits inside I've checked)

Yea but alienware always cheaps out on power supplies they barely give you what is needed to operate the system

The main issues with Alienware

1. Anything you do to your system if not done by an alienware rep voids your warranty so changing out that video card goodbye warranty.

2. For some reason their GPU's always have overheating issues.

3. Power supplies crap out a lot of the time and take your processor or other components with it.

4. Any warranty work will dam near take an act of congress to get done and when it finally does get done half the time they dont even fix the right parts.

5. Be prepared to be on the phone with them for hours on end trouble shooting the same problems 30+ times before they will finally do anything about it.

6. The cost doesn't justify the performance.

7. Worst of all when they finally do warranty work 99% of the time they ALWAYS put refurbished parts into your machine.

I just built a pc for a friend of mine because of those same issues i stated above after he spent $2,600 on an alienware and didnt even have it for 6 months before all that crap started. He tried to deal with them for another 6 months and is now in the middle of a nasty lawsuit because they cheated him and refused to fix his machine because he changed his graphics card out. They stated that it voided his warranty so any issues with the machine even if they are not GPU related are on him. And the only reason he changed his graphics card out was because the one alienware put in his machine to start with bricked on him and his machine sat for 2 months broke so he finally forked out the money to buy another GPU for it and now he is having processor issues.

Here's the thing: you've asked us whether or not the alienware would be a good option, and we've unanimously said no. So tell us what you like about it, and we can help you build something cheaper and/or much better. Help us help you!

Here's the thing: you've asked us whether or not the alienware would be a good option, and we've unanimously said no. So tell us what you like about it, and we can help you build something cheaper and/or much better. Help us help you!

Well he actually asked... "Is this pc good great or bad ( just the specs not the price)". He didn't really asked for any option, just if the pc was good... he obviously doesn't want to build one.

I'm just looking for a simple pc I can sit on the couch at most for 1 - 3 hours a week and just play games on I don't need a monster pc or anything just a casual of that can run games that look good, I don't think overheating will be an issue when I'm not sitting down and playing for more than an hour at a time

I'm just looking for a simple pc I can sit on the couch many for 1 - 3 hours a week and just play games on I don't need a monster pc or anything just a casual of that can run games that look good, I don't think overheating will be an issue when I'm not sitting down and playing for more than an hour at a time

But yeah, obviously building yourself  a PC is better and cheaper and bla bla, but if you don't you won't do it nor can we force you. Like I said earlier, a 750ti is a bit low, you should try finding a better GPU,  like a 770, or this current gen GPUs, a 970.

Well he actually asked... "Is this pc good great or bad ( just the specs not the price)". He didn't really asked for any option, just if the pc was good... he obviously doesn't want to build one.

People that want to buy pre-builts just because they dont want to deal with building it themselves is exactly why when i move to tennessee in a couple months im going to start buying components, building them and selling them $175-250 over what the cost of the components ran me.