The real cost [PS4 vs XBOX One]

Keystone Nyan Cat

And the eye is needed for what exactly?

The eye is an OPTIONAL extra that will only be utilized in specialized games which there will most likely be bundles available with the game + the eye, the kinect is not optional, its forced on you no matter if you need/want it or not.

Also the PS4 has more raw power that the xbox so the console its self is worth more than the xbox.

You do have a point, but it can be looked at many different ways.

Given the choice...who would want the kinect...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The thing is people dont want the kinect but you still have to pay for it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

But for the people who don't want the eye and will never use it they are saving that extra money. So it is still a nice difference for the majority of people.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yeah, including the PS eye is kinda silly seeing as u don't actually need it to use the device. It's not even something which I think the majority of people will buy.

The PS eye is literally the only thing which is at all more expensive than the Xbone, and the Xbone is STILL more expensive even when you do include it.

Personally I don't like either console, but the PS4 is clearly the superior one of the two...

Although optional, Sony and MS will be pushing in my opinion for motion sensing games so most people may pick one up after a few months. That is why I included that cost here as well.

PC in Profile

True. But since Xbone will have the Kinect mandatory... (I am assuming...) the implementation of the motion controller will be much more feature packed and better functioning. As linus said.. if (and that's a big if...) Microsoft can make it into something that can truly use your gaming space and turn it into something special then the price may be worth it.

The console cycle will last a lifetime if the last cycle was any indication. Microsoft with the improved Kinect and more forced online features could make the difference later in its console life.

Then again... if cloud computing is a pipe dream and the Kinect 2.0 is just an HD version of Kinect is now? Then... yeah go Sony and the optional eye.

Either way, from what I read, the differences between the two console spec wise favors Sony by a hair. I don't think either platform will be significantly graphic-wise superior.

On a side note.. I've pre-ordered both... :-P

Also the PS4 has more raw power that the xbox so the console its self is worth more than the xbox.

What raw power is that I might ask?!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

What raw power is that I might ask?!

From memory the Xbox has a 7770 sort of GPU affair and the PS4 has something more like the 7850.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

From memory the Xbox has a 7770 sort of GPU affair and the PS4 has something more like the 7850.

Are either even comparable to let's say... a gtx680 or a 7970?

Are either even comparable to let's say... a gtx680 or a 7970?

No but they are a unified 'always the same' architecture that never changes so you'll be surprised what they can do when used properly and efficiently.

It'll take about a year for devs to get to grips with it but when they do? they'll perform just as well as a PC with far more power.

Right now games are sloppy and messy conversions. Due to that the answer for PC gaming has been just throw loads of power at the problem.

Now with it being X86 architecture ? AMD FX 8 core system costing around £600 will offer more than enough power for any one. Things are going to change now, big time.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

ahh ok the gddr5 and ddr3 difference really adds to graphic performance does it? I know that gddr5 is suppose to be with graphics and is better and longer more complex processes, but isn't ddr3 good at short quick processes so they aren't really comparable?! Or am I misinformed? Anyways I wouldn't call the memory difference raw power?! I would call if the APU/CPU/Whatever the hell AMD is putting in there is a beefier processor more raw power?!

(edited last sentence, the structure didn't make any sense before :D)

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

No but they are a unified 'always the same' architecture that never changes so you'll be surprised what they can do when used properly and efficiently.

It'll take about a year for devs to get to grips with it but when they do? they'll perform just as well as a PC with far more power.

Right now games are sloppy and messy conversions. Due to that the answer for PC gaming has been just throw loads of power at the problem.

Now with it being X86 architecture ? AMD FX 8 core system costing around £600 will offer more than enough power for any one. Things are going to change now, big time.

That sounds good.  I kind of forget how it was in 2005 in the PC world when the xbox and ps3 dropped.  Were PC and the consoles neck and neck in terms of graphic fidelity?

I do know at the time... the graphic solutions for both consoles were on the high-end of the spectrum.  Not in this case.  But with the more familiar and less complex architectures, hopefully what you say does come to fruition.

! I would call if the APU/CPU/Whatever the hell AMD is putting in there is a beefier processor more raw power?!

Yes, basically. Sony are focused more on raw gaming computational power hence why they have gone with a more powerful APU, where as M$ seem to think that raw power isn't as important (because they think games are not as important) so have simply tried to make their console into a kitchen sink that does lots of other things aside from gaming.

Right now, apparently, people are starting to game less on consoles and use things like Ipads and Android tablets, as well as watching tons of media apps like Netflix. Microsoft are trying to cash in on that, whilst sacrificing the hard core gaming element.

And it seems that the world isn't quite ready to adapt to their philosophy and cares more about the games.

Funny that !

ahh ok the gddr5 and ddr3 difference really adds to graphic performance does it? I know that gddr5 is suppose to be with graphics and is better and longer more complex processes, but isn't ddr3 good at short quick processes so they aren't really comparable?! Or am I misinformed? Anyways I wouldn't call the memory difference raw power?! I would call if the APU/CPU/Whatever the hell AMD is putting in there is a beefier processor more raw power?!

GDDR5 = DDR5.

GDDR3 = DDR3

GDDR2 = DDR2

the difference between GDDR2/GDDR3 on a videocard and DDR2/DDR3 RAM DIMMs in the motherboard slots is that they G versions use higher voltages to run at higher frequencies.

there is a huge difference between the performance of a GDDR5 card and a GDDR3 equivalent.

it could be as much as twice as fast just due to that memory difference.

also here's the difference in the XBone and the PS4 as far as hardware goes,this is from anandtech.

sSe18kS.png

XBone has a graphics processor between the performance of a HD 7770 and a HD 7790.

PS4 has a graphics processor between that of the HD 7850 and HD 7870

the memory also plays a huge part in their performance,but microsoft implemented a different system to compensate for the DDR3.

read the article here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3

very educational.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

That sounds good.  I kind of forget how it was in 2005 in the PC world when the xbox and ps3 dropped.  Were PC and the consoles neck and neck in terms of graphic fidelity?

I do know at the time... the graphic solutions for both consoles were on the high-end of the spectrum.  Not in this case.  But with the more familiar and less complex architectures, hopefully what you say does come to fruition.

No the consoles were miles behind. By that time full scene anti aliasing and so on were becoming a household name and a mainstream PC gaming benefit. The 360 hardly ever used it because it simply did not have the power, and it was also far lower from a resolution standpoint than what was being used in the PC arena at that time..

IIRC the popular resolution then was 1600 x 1200. The Xbox 360 debuted at 720p which is far less in pixel density. Sure, as the years went by the 360 was able to do more complex things (such as Fallout New Vegas) than the PC from then could do but only because of devs getting to grips with the 360. Mind you, FONV offered no aliasing and was terribly slow on the consoles, lagging really badly in busy scenes.

I remember comparing NFS : Most Wanted on the 360 to my PC and it was pretty bad on the 360. Slow, laggy and stuttered.

And it seems that the world isn't quite ready to adapt to their philosophy and cares more about the games.

Funny that !

Indeed :D

PROFILEYEAH

GDDR5 = DDR5.

GDDR3 = DDR3

GDDR2 = DDR2

the difference between GDDR2/GDDR3 on a videocard and DDR2/DDR3 RAM DIMMs in the motherboard slots is that they G versions use higher voltages to run at higher frequencies.

ahhh ok thanks for the clarification

PROFILEYEAH

Adding the PS Eye is obviously unnecessary.  I don't want one, I ESPECIALLY don't want one that is required to be connected at all times.

But then again the ps4 has better specs, is smaller and doesn't require you to be online and also a camera won't be watching you all day.

GDDR5 = DDR5.

GDDR3 = DDR3

GDDR2 = DDR2

there is a huge difference between the performance of a GDDR5 card and a GDDR3 equivalent.

it could be as much as twice as fast just due to that memory difference.

also here's the difference in the XBone and the PS4 as far as hardware goes,this is from anandtech.

sSe18kS.png

XBone has a graphics processor between the performance of a HD 7770 and a HD 7790.

PS4 has a graphics processor between that of the HD 7850 and HD 7870

the memory also plays a huge part in their performance,but microsoft implemented a different system to compensate for the DDR3.

read the article here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3

very educational.

GDDR5= not DDR5 DDR5 dont even exist yet!

GDDR5 has fast frequencies which is some how good for GPU calculations

whilst DDR3 has low Latencies which is some how good for the CPU

but any how GDDR is actually slower for the CPU to use then DDR

so if your not going to game and do allot of calculations then DDR ram will out perform GDDR any day

i dont know the exact explanation

it has something to do with Parallel calculations and Serial Calculations

GDDR5= not DDR5 DDR5 dont even exist yet!

GDDR5 has fast frequencies which is some how good for GPU calculations

whilst DDR3 has low Latencies which is some how good for the CPU

but any how GDDR is actually slower for the CPU to use then DDR

so if your not going to game and do allot of calculations then DDR ram will out perform GDDR any day

i dont know the exact explanation

it has something to do with Parallel calculations and Serial Calculations

I meant that GDDR5 = DDR5 as in the naming scheme for graphics memory.

so if a graphics card so DDR5 or if it says GDDR5.

for example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150494

vs this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857

both are the same type of memory.

meaning that it's not

DDR3 vs GDDR5

pretty sure it's actually

GDDR3 vs GDDR5

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

And the eye is needed for what exactly?

The eye is an OPTIONAL extra that will only be utilized in specialized games which there will most likely be bundles available with the game + the eye, the kinect is not optional, its forced on you no matter if you need/want it or not.

You do have a point, but it can be looked at many different ways.

Given the choice...who would want the kinect...

My sister would want the kinect, I might split the price of the console with her just to play GTA 5...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

My sister would want the kinect, I might split the price of the console with her just to play GTA 5...

When I say who would want the kinect, I'm mainly referring to gamers who couldn't give a toss about the kinect, along with the privacy issues that go along with it.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B