Cortana running on windows 10!

shermantanker

Genuine question for the floor - do any of you guys use these assistants (Siri, Google Now, etc.) on a daily basis?

I used Google Now for a couple of mins on my Android phone when I first got it, but then the novelty wore off and I haven't touched it since. For me, I find I can just do things quicker myself. I just see MS as developing Cortana to have a piece of the virtual assistant pie and nothing more - maybe I am narrow minded here? Maybe I am thinking this way because these technologies are largely in infant stages of their life cycle?

Yaaay, windows 10 is shaping to be successful OS :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Genuine question for the floor - do any of you guys use these assistants (Siri, Google Now, etc.) on a daily basis?

I used Google Now for a couple of mins on my Android phone when I first got it, but then the novelty wore off and I haven't touched it since. For me, I find I can just do things quicker myself. I just see MS as developing Cortana to have a piece of the virtual assistant pie and nothing more - maybe I am narrow minded here? Maybe I am thinking this way because these technologies are largely in infant stages of their life cycle?

I have Windows Phone with Cortana and I use her with voice commands not every day, but always for setting alarms and setting reminders since it really is faster that way since my phone has a dedicated button for Cortana. Since Cortana does searches via Bing back-end I use her with text input to do web searches every day.

When you press the button for Cortana it brings you to the main screen of the app, when you swipe up anywhere on that page it extends the page and shows top news headlines for the day, also the weather for the day. Both of those I find to be pretty useful.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I hope it has a similar feature like iOS and Android, where u say "Hey Cortana" and start speaking to it :D

If Cortana is not always listening, a hot key would be very useful like push to talk. Or you can use windows key+1 (opens the first program on the task bar)

I think she would be very useful especially when in full screen, and with a second monitor you can have her search websites, open hardware monitoring programs,  or call someone one skype.

Recent games -- LoL, FO4, TESV, XCOM 2, Life is Strange, Overwatch, Ark, Total War Attila, Hearthstone.  <(^^,)>

its cool but if you have a smartphone I think most of this would be better on that. Nothing was demoed here that a smartphone can't already do and I have my phone with me all the time vs my computer sitting at home.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I use siri for calling people and setting alarms or changing ones i already have. I sometimes Google stuff through her but most of the time its easier to do it myself. If I used the music app that came with my phone Id use her to control that to but as I'm using itube it doesn't work.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Neither do I.

If it's not always listening then why would I start the Cortana program just to have her open and/or do something? Why have her resume my music when I can just put the music player in the start menu right next to the Cortana button.

If she is listening all the time when I simply won't get Windows 10. There is no way I am having my OS always listening on me, while at the same time being hooked up to Microsoft's servers.

On top of that, these kinds of features rarely work well for languages other than English, and a lot of times it ends up not interpreting/doing exactly what you want so you end up having to do it manually anyway.

Oh and you look like an enormous idiot when you shout at your phone/computer.

Like for example? I just don't see how speaking to my computer, then have it process the command and then finally do it. I mean just look at the speed in the video. Asking "what's on my schedule today" took 7 seconds. The same thing can be done using your keyboard in maybe 1 second. That's without factoring in the possibility that it might get your voice command wrong as well.

It seems like a gimmick to me. Doubt many people will use it more than a handful of times in the beginning.

At first i was sceptical about voiced assistant like Siri and Ok, Google as well. Mainly because I dont use Apple products and Ok, Google can't even check my calendar for me. But when I went on with Windows Phone and Cortana, I find she is very useful. If I can't speak, I can use text. She can sings, she can joke, she can remind me, she can shuffle my music, she can wake me up. I can't imagine a phone without a voice assistant like cortana anymore.... not to mention, english isnt my native tongue and I do speak english with accent. Ok, Google has hard time recognizing my voice while Cortana do it in a breeze....

Thing is, I still agree that implementation on desktop require extra careful assesment. It works on WP because of the dedicated button and not everything is as accessible as desktop. If I can just put the icon next to it why not. But I still find it will be useful in managing notification like reminder and alarms, and also how Cortana is totally useless if there is no connection to the server kind of frustrating

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I have had an iPhone since the 5, and just upgraded to the 64gh 6 plus and have used Siri ever since. I always use her for the more tedious task such as alarms, timers, setting calendar appointments, reminders, and texts when I'm to lazy to type. Especially when I'm driving it is super useful, as I am incapable of early texting and driving (and very illegal in california). As far as a acuracy it works well 90% of the time, but I tend to blame myself for that because I am a fast talker alot of the time.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Sweeeeeet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I hate it. super gimmicky.

-----------

After apple and google's attempt flopped, I'm sure microsoft will get it right!

/s.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Cortana is by far the best personal assistant, Siri is aweful and google now is on a different level.

Thinking into what's actually possible here Cortana could be a game changer, imagine

"Cortana, run Word", " Cortana, take dictation", "Cortana, save file", "Cortana, run Steam", "Cortana, swap to screen b", " Cortana, shut down PC "

The possibilities are endless.

This alone, if done well, will make me upgrade from Win 7 -> Win 10

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is super awesome can't wait to try it out myself on full release! :)

"Cortana, initiate self destruct"..:P

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110