I am now in family tech support hell

Sammael

So I agreed to help one of my grand aunts with a new computer she purchased, and now I am trapped a couple of hours from home.

The job took longer than expected as there was a lot of crap to deal with.  It's handled, but when I smote my enemy and cast him upon the mountainside, it was late enough that traffic was so bad it is better to wait longer until it dies down.

This last point may not make much sense, most of you live in podunk mountain hick towns like the south park kids, or at least that is where I assume most of you live, and as such you basically never see traffic.  And now I am stuck.

The lesson kids?  Never agree to help anyone, you may think it will not cost you much, but it might, an this is costing me HOURS of additional dragon age inquisition play time today!

It's a good thing I'm not selfish or I would be complaining on random internet forums.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

You see, this is why I charge my family members that aren't immediate family.

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

I have replaced so my HDDs... For friends and family.

(All Toshiba) 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

so you blame your grand aunts for the bad traffic?

Are you leaving something out? This doesn't exactly sound like family tech support hell.

Are you leaving something out? This doesn't exactly sound like family tech support hell.

Yes, yes I am.

It's nearing my time to head out, and I just did a speed test on their network and realized they have faster internet than I do.  They have like 300mbps from time warner cable.

The final twist to the knife in my back.  Thanks God, if you do exist, I realize now it is to spite me.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Yes, yes I am.

It's nearing my time to head out, and I just did a speed test on their network and realized they have faster internet than I do. They have like 300mbps from time warner cable.

The final twist to the knife in my back. Thanks God, if you do exist, I realize now it is to spite me.

I bet all they do is browse MSNBC/Yahoo news. AMIRITE?

This is why they bring the stuff to me. Then I don't have to travel.

Great idea-make them bring it to you!

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

did they feed you?  because food seems worth it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I like helping people that aren't tech savvy.

A couple of days ago I fixed a laptop that was freezing on startup it woulda been either tossed or taken to somebody else that is less convenient. Might as well just fix it.

"family tech support hell" seems a bit melodramatic. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Next time you're out there hook up RDP or TeamViewer, it'll save you a lot of time.

[witty signature]