Stephen Hawking gets an upgrade, no pun intended, by a source many would not think about...

First off, no pun was intended by the title, it just worked.

Original Article: http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/02/stephen-hawking-swiftkey-intel/

A article talking more in depth about the upgrade: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/audio/intel_creates_new_communication_system_for_prof_stephen_hawking/1

Everyone knows or has heard about the astrophysicist at some point in their lives. Well, since 1997, Professor Hawking and Intel has worked together for his computerised speech method due to motor-neuron disease. He has used this system to create documents and communicate for more than a decade.

Now the time has come that he, and Intel, feels his system needs an upgrade. Who did they turn to help for? 3 guesses? No?

Swiftkey.

Intel sought to get help from one of the best input method creators ever. They wanted to retain the usability and the familiarity as Stephen Hawking is not that, and I quote,

Hawking isn't interested in new tech like eye-tracking

Intel has improved the workflow by allowing context menus. Professor Hawking has been testing it for a couple of months and when he feels it is mature enough, he will release it to the public and open-source community in a hope it will help others with communication problems and disabilities.

My thoughts?

It's cool to see these articles out and about. Stephen Hawking relies on his computer, and, like the same with many computers, it needs an upgrade every now and then. As for Swiftkey, it's cool to see their effort make such an impact on communication methods.

What are your thoughts? Please leave them down below.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

cool

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

"Look! stephen hawking tested it, and used it, we must buy it!" It's all i see. Not that it's bad, or it wont help or anything, but yeah, that's what i think of this.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

68488-Futurama-Bender-NEAT-KV7d.jpeg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

"Look! stephen hawking tested it, and used it, we must buy it!" It's all i see. Not that it's bad, or it wont help or anything, but yeah, that's what i think of this.

he is not the only one with this disease or with his problem and I am sure that many Universities would make great use of this device at projects. 

Thanks for the other news about Intel. All their new releases are rather boring once you've heard it for the millionth time. 

G(ood)G(uy) Intel.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Headline made me chuckle :P

And yeah, it's good news for him and other sufferers. This kind of stuff can make a huge difference to peoples lives and no one car argue that's a bad thing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Could you tryyy to make it through the 4 sentence summary when it says "he will release it to the public and open-source community" right there?

Headline made me chuckle :P

Someone spotted why I put "no pun intended" virtual cookies to you. I contemplated at just leaving it as the first 5 words, but considered it a bit too offensive.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Just a heads up, it's StephEn, not Stephan.

Nevertheless, this is bretty cool  ;)

Just a heads up, it's StephEn, not Stephan.

Nevertheless, this is bretty cool  ;)

I'll change that right now....

Ryze of the Phoenix: