Trackball VS Optical/Laser mouse for gaming and for everyday.

Hi guys,

I remember using a trackball mouse from back when I was little. I don't remember liking it. 

Ever since then, I've used either a laser or optical (or both, in the case of HDST, google it) mouses since then.

Recently however, a co-worker has let me use his trackball mouse and I have to say, it feels... easier to use, sort of. It's hard to explain. At first I though I wouldn't be accurate with it, but I picked it up like it was nothing and very rarely mis-click.

So, I wanted to ask the community the following questions:

Which is better, in your opinion, for every day tasks (Facebook, work, video editting, or what have you)?

And which is better, in your opinion, for gaming? (FPS, RTS, ARPG, etc)

I'm sure there's some number way of thinking about it (DPI settings, trackball inaccuracy, etc), but I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Trackballs are to mice as Mechanical keyboards are to keyboards in a way. They aren't as good for precision work like gaming or photo editing, but for everyday tasks I believe they can be very nice to use.

i like using optical mice, a friend of mine still uses a track ball and i had to use it, i found it a painful experience probably due to the fact it was like 10 years old. i remember using trackball's back when using windows 95 and on any surface but a really grippy mousepad it would just be rubbish.

edit: i messed up trackball and mechanical mice

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

i like using optical mice, a friend of mine still uses a track ball and i had to use it, i found it a painful experience probably due to the fact it was like 10 years old. i remember using trackball's back when using windows 95 and on any surface but a really grippy mousepad it would just be rubbish.

Are you by any chance confusing a trackball for a mechanical mouse?

Are you by any chance confusing a trackball for a mechanical mouse?

i am, silly me :)

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I've used a trackball for five years for everything I do and I can say that it is definitely an option with advantages and disadvantages.

Pros:

Much more accurate for small movement.

If you've gotten a hang of it, will arguably be more workable than a regular mouse for almost everything.

If you get a wireless one, you can set it anywhere within the receiver range and have perfect operation, unlike a mouse with a sensor on the bottom. Perfect if you want to lie in bed or on the couch with your mouse at your side/on your chest or whatever else.

Generally much more comfortable since they are often made for ergonomics rather than aesthetics.

You don't have to move it to operate it. All movement is performed with one or two fingers. So suffering a tired wrist isn't even an option.

Cons:

Though I didn't, some may find this type of mouse is hard to get used to.

As stated, these mice are often made for ergonomics rather than aesthetics meaning they usually look weird as balls.

If you need to do some really snappy fast movements say in the vein of rocket jumping in TF2, a regular sensor mouse is much better suited.

In conclusion:

If you want comfort, accuracy and the ability to use it virtually everywhere, a trackball is for you.

May I suggest the Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman which is by far the best looking and workable trackball I've yet encountered, given you can track one down on ebay or Amazon since it's no longer produced.

If you prefer looks, anticipate having a hard time learning an untraditional layout and input method and need very snappy movement ingame, stick with a regular sensor mouse.

• 5 years later...
On 6/14/2013 at 7:27 PM, Toby said:

Trackballs are to mice as Mechanical keyboards are to keyboards in a way. They aren't as good for precision work like gaming or photo editing, but for everyday tasks I believe they can be very nice to use.

Complete nonsense.

Unreal Tourrnament legend OverToad was playing on trackball with joystick hybrid.

Quake 3 Arena legend own-age was pwning people with usage of a trackball.

I find trickjumping in Quake a few magnitudes easier with a trackball than with a mouse. Also I started railng people like a madman after switching to a trackball.

When you lower mouse sensitivity you can actually draw images with a precision that only drawing tablets can potentially beat.