Working in the gaming industry

Cs342

I was originally planning on majoring in video game design but after doing some research I feel like the gaming industry doesn't offer the satisfaction and job security I originally thought. Are the horror stories true? Am I making the right choice by deciding not to pursue a career in games?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

It is difficult. The big companies make deadlines and it is stressful, while small dev companies have financial issues and employees often go months without pay before release. 

Depends where you go, it can get really bumpy, but you have to love what you do. It can pay off. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I'm doing game development (Thought about game design earlier) and I am thinking about that too..

It's important to be interested in the subject at matter (For me programming games, for you that would be designing different game elements), but I also think it is important to be able to do something else too.

I for example still try to make websites, mobile applications and general applications, just as a plan B

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As connorpiper said, it can be a tough industry. Working with a small development team typically means tight budgets, long hours, risk of redundancy, but the pay-off is a more intimate relationship with the development process of the game. Working for a huge developer like Ubisoft might come with better pay and better job security, but you might just be texturing rocks all day, plus you'll be accused of using a spade instead of a computer...

I was originally planning on majoring in video game design but after doing some research I feel like the gaming industry doesn't offer the satisfaction and job security I originally thought. Are the horror stories true? Am I making the right choice by deciding not to pursue a career in games?

If your in it for the money and not the love you will fail in anything. Unless you are amoung the best I would not even bother to atempt it as even then it is extremely competitive and you will just end up getting pwnd by the likes of EA.

change your career into Electronic technician!

Coffee addiction, lack of social life, various random electronics popping up in your room, strange love of alcohol and lack of girlfriends are guaranteed if you want to be the very best!

or if you can go to R&D and be in the most stressful place you have been, where the customer is 100% sure that 9 mothers could make a baby born in 1 month!

On a side note: I might need to take a break