Will a mic pick up sounds from an "Open" headphone design?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

As long as the headphones are on your head and you're listening to something at reasonable volumes, no there won't be a problem.

So, my little Logitech headset broke and I decided to invest in a decent mic and pair of headphones. I looked around online a bit and found a few videos that were really helpful, and I eventually decided on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x headset and an AntLion ModMic.

My only concern is that the headphones were described as "incredibly open". I'm worried that the sound projected from the headset will be picked up by the ModMic and feed back through to the people I am talking to.

I don't listen to audio loud, and usually keep my system audio at about 50% with any in-game audio settings lowered a bit from max. Also, if i'm just in a call talking to buddies, I generally leave the mic open and put on some music to listen to.

I am not a big audiophile (I mostly just use earbuds when I don't need a mic), and having a clear mic that isn't going to throw my game sounds/music back at the people I am talking to is more important to me than the "large sound stage" given by the open design (although I would like to try them).

TL;DR: Will the ModMic pick up and throw back the game sounds/music that is projected from the Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x headsets open design? (around 50-70% system audio, if that helps)

Thanks in advance, any feedback helps! 

Open headphones are great for listening without anyone near by. But if there is another person or mic near by then it will pick up the sound quite easily. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

No, the mod mic is not omnidirectional, so there will be little if no feedback from the open back design.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As long as the headphones are on your head and you're listening to something at reasonable volumes, no there won't be a problem.

Not unless you plan on damaging your hearing with volume levels.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If nothing else, many programs (TeamSpeak for example among many others) have the option to enable echo cancellation to minimize feedback while recording.

Can't read on tapatalk dark theme but yes that a possibility. Depends on how loud you listen and how sensitive the mic is.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and quick response  :D. I'll definitely go ahead and order a pair of the headphones and a ModMic now! 

I've actually had it happen on my Logitech G930. Game volume got too loud and the mic was too sensitive, people in my Ventrillo asked my to fix it lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.