Recommended 2560x1440 (or 1600) IPS monitors?

Keen_Interest

I'm not really bothered about latency, if it would be TERRIBLE don't recommend it because I will use the screen for gaming sometimes. Having said that, I'm not really a massively competitive gamer, I'd prefer a great picture quality. I'm not a millionaire, but I'm willing to spend a fair amount for a good monitor.

Thanks!

how about the asus pb278q

Looks nice, what's the difference between PLS and IPS? I also just read that it doesn't have great color accuracy, is that something you can calibrate after you have the monitor?

PLS is Samsung version of IPS. There isn't just an "IPS" panel in reality. You have, beside PLS: H-IPS, eIPS, E-IPS, AH-IPS, S-IPS and, if I didn't miss any more you also have P-IPS.

They are all essentially the same, each one if from a manufacture where you have their take on it, but essentially all the same, unless you look for something specific. Basically the different is ~5% for doing something better than the others, but ~5% worst at doing something else. At the consumer level, I highly doubt you'll notice a difference. The only exception on what I said, is eIPS panels, which are IPS panel that made to be much affordable as possible. Surprisingly they still beat TN panel in color reproduction, and response time is still in the same playing field as other 60Hz TN panels. It's LG that makes eIPS panels. eIPS panel are 6-bit color panels, much like TN panels. However, the other IPS panels, with some exception on some models, they are the majority true 8-bit panels, delivering even better colors. Is there a visual difference between eIPS  and TN? Yes. Between eIPS and any other IPS panels (including Samsung PLS), yes, also the price is higher. Is all PLS panels exclusively 8-bit? Samsung is not saying, and seeing the price of select monitors that compete with eIPS panels, and looking at reviews again being at the same level of color reproduction, suggest that it's probably not the case. 8-bit panel cost more to produce, and you see it in the price.

I hope this answers your question.

As for recommending an IPS panel... prices vary from ~400$ all the way up to a price of a fancy car. So what is your budget? The good news, is that there isn't as much IPS monitors comapred to TN, and older models are usually discontinued quickly when a better model is out, and you don't have 'same panel, but different look', like you have in TN market. So this simplifies greatly at finding the exact monitor that fit your needs :D

Viewsonic Vp 2770 has the least amount of input lag and ghosting.. It's a Lil pricey compared to the others though.. If you are on a budget go for a Qnix from Korea. I have one and I love it but I got a perfect one and everyone isn't so lucky.. The PB278Q uses a PWM back light which could cause issues with headaches and such.. But you will never know until you try.. And the Dell 2713hm has cross hatching issues.. So whatever monitor you pick it is kind of a lottery but with name brands you can at least exchange them easily..

PLS is Samsung version of IPS. There isn't just an "IPS" panel in reality. You have, beside PLS: H-IPS, eIPS, E-IPS, AH-IPS, S-IPS and, if I didn't miss any more you also have P-IPS.

They are all essentially the same, each one if from a manufacture where you have their take on it, but essentially all the same, unless you look for something specific. Basically the different is ~5% for doing something better than the others, but ~5% worst at doing something else. At the consumer level, I highly doubt you'll notice a difference. The only exception on what I said, is eIPS panels, which are IPS panel that made to be much affordable as possible. Surprisingly they still beat TN panel in color reproduction, and response time is still in the same playing field as other 60Hz TN panels. It's LG that makes eIPS panels. eIPS panel are 6-bit color panels, much like TN panels. However, the other IPS panels, with some exception on some models, they are the majority true 8-bit panels, delivering even better colors. Is there a visual difference between eIPS  and TN? Yes. Between eIPS and any other IPS panels (including Samsung PLS), yes, also the price is higher. Is all PLS panels exclusively 8-bit? Samsung is not saying, and seeing the price of select monitors that compete with eIPS panels, and looking at reviews again being at the same level of color reproduction, suggest that it's probably not the case. 8-bit panel cost more to produce, and you see it in the price.

I hope this answers your question.

As for recommending an IPS panel... prices vary from ~400$ all the way up to a price of a fancy car. So what is your budget? The good news, is that there isn't as much IPS monitors comapred to TN, and older models are usually discontinued quickly when a better model is out, and you don't have 'same panel, but different look', like you have in TN market. So this simplifies greatly at finding the exact monitor that fit your needs :D

I'd say my budget would sit between £400 and £650, which is.... $627.24 to $1019.26(US). Thanks for you help, very much appreciated   

how about the asus pb278q

I got this and it is soooooooooo good. :D

I've used it for gaming and graphics work and I highly recommend.

Looks nice, what's the difference between PLS and IPS? I also just read that it doesn't have great color accuracy, is that something you can calibrate after you have the monitor?

All i know is that PLS is a version of IPS like H-IPS i do not know about the color accuracy though

BTW PLS is made by samsung

Dell Ultrasharp U2711. Great monitor, solid warranty.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Dell Ultrasharp U2711. Great monitor, solid warranty.

I second that. Even though i don't own it, got a friend that has it. What makes me cringe and going for the Crossover 27q Pivot instead, is due to the fact that the dell uses anti-glare coating. Hard coat.

But build quality is excellent. If u dont mind the anti glare coating, go for this.

Yes, the U2711 and U2410 are superb monitor in every single way. Sadly Dell doesn't make them anymore since a while. So finding them is very hard.

I second that. Even though i don't own it, got a friend that has it. What makes me cringe and going for the Crossover 27q Pivot instead, is due to the fact that the dell uses anti-glare coating. Hard coat.

But build quality is excellent. If u dont mind the anti glare coating, go for this.

This.

Been using the Dell U2711 for gaming and graphics work and I love it. The Anti glare coating isn't bad at all on the later revisions..revision 2 and up I think.

Been using the Dell U2711 for gaming and graphics work and I love it. The Anti glare coating isn't bad at all on the later revisions..revision 2 and up I think.

To be honest it was never bad. After further investigation, is simply ended up that people that complained don't have a proper desk setup. In other words, based on pictures I saw, they have a "desk", where with the U2711, the keyboard barely fits. They are waaaayy to close to the screen. OR they have the monitor at max or near max brightness.. and you know how freaking bright the monitor at max. Might as well look at the sun. So under such settings, the anti-glare coating is visible. If you are on a proper desk setup, with good distance, then the anti-glare coating is not visible. The same coating was used on previous Dell, LG, HP, Lenovo and pro grade monitors (well it's LG that makes the IPS panel, so it will have LG coating system), and it was not a problem. It's just that now you have people able to afford them, and you have people that have 6000$ computers, 1000$ monitor, 200$ keyboard, 100$+ mouse, but can't afford an IKEA desk.

To be honest it was never bad. After further investigation, is simply ended up that people that complained don't a proper desk setup. In other words, based on pictures I saw, they have a "desk", where with the U2711, the keyboard barely fits. They are waaaayy to close to the screen. OR they have the monitor at max or near max brightness.. and you know how freaking bright the monitor at max. Might as well look at the sun. So under such settings, the anti-glare coating is visible. If you are on a proper desk setup, with good distance, then the anti-glare coating is not visible. The same coating was used on previous Dell, LG, HP, Lenovom and pro grade monitors (well it's LG that makes the IPS panel, so it will have LG coating system), and it was not a problem. It's just that now you have people able to afford them, and you have people that have 6000$ computers,m 1000$ monitor, 200$ keyboard, 100$+ mouse, but can't afford an IKEA desk.

LOL yes!

Try the Overlord Tempest  - check them out at www.overlordcomputer.com - my brother just bought their new version and I have to say it is pretty sweet.

Great review on the QNIX monitor was uploaded today on youtube..

achieva shimian

27 2560x1440
its a company that takes apple cinema monitors and turns them into achieva 
so its as good as the apple ones just minor changes to bezel and such

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

achieva shimian

27 2560x1440

its a company that takes apple cinema monitors and turns them into achieva 

so its as good as the apple ones just minor changes to bezel and such

They are apple rejects..Just like all the cheap Korean monitors are grade a- panels which means they have some flaws...And the Achieva won't even OC i believe..

They are apple rejects..Just like all the cheap Korean monitors are grade a- panels which means they have some flaws...And the Achieva won't even OC i believe..

and to be honest cinema display/thunderbolt  isn't as great as they say basically dell u2711 used the same ips panel model and had better adobeRBG coverage (so I wouldn't expect shimian to be that good)

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."