[Steam Sale] Deux Ex: 125% Discount

ImBleu

It got fixed.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It got fixed.

I managed to use it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I managed to use it.

lol did steam pay you :P?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

lol did steam pay you :P?

Sadly not, got a free game though.

Wasn't fast enough :(

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Technicially -125% off would result in the price increasing to $74.23

Erm

100% off = $0

25% off = 1/4 of $8.26

125% off = Getting paid $8.26

Erm

100% off = $0

25% off = 1/4 of $8.26

125% off = Getting paid $8.26

True, but if it's negative, it makes it a price increase by 125%.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Damn, missed out. They can't have had it up for too long though.

Are you new to Steam or something?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I think he's simply pointing out that technically, labelling the percentage discount with a negative "-125%" is in fact equivalent of a 125% price increase... Technically.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, technically you're correct. However, show me where it says % OFF. Without the use of the word "off" their depiction and math is accurate.

Please, no need to be condescending. If the percentage change is the change in price value, yeah, it's price is reduced by 125%, however, if the percentage value is the amount the price is being discounted by, it makes it a 125% increase.

It's purely semantic, but it's still correct.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

No. It means Price minus discount. Not a negative discount. 

Please, no need to be condescending. If the percentage change is the change in price value, yeah, it's price is reduced by 125%, however, if the percentage value is the amount the price is being discounted by, it makes it a 125% increase.

It's purely semantic, but it's still correct.

Except nobody said -125% off. The OP posted a picture that showed -125% on Steam in the same way that they say -50%, -66%, -90% etc quite literally all the time. So no, you're wrong, that's not what it meant. You're the only person who said that, the only person who got confused by it but you decided to have a go at the OP anyway. Which is why I asked whether you were new to Steam. Simple.

The price would be:

price - (price * percent)

32.99 - (32.99 * 1.25)

(-8.2475) = price.

If you wanted to be super specific, and use NEGATIVE percentages:

price - (price * -percent)

32.99 - (32.99 * (-1.25))

32.99 - (-41.2375)

= 74.2275

The price would be higher if using negative percentages. In that case, though, anything on sale would have a higher price:

price - price * -percent)

5 - (5 *( -0.5))

5 - (-2.5)

= 7.5

Last time I bought something 50% off the price was lower, though...

Since the hyphen is directly next to the number it would look like a negative number, but it's obviously a minus sign. If it were a negative number it would be put into brackets.

Like how 5 - 4 doesn't equal 5 + - 4, it equals 5 + (-4). Calculators will often correct it, but it's the proper way to write negative numbers.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Except nobody said -125% off. The OP posted a picture that showed -125% on Steam in the same way that they say -50%, -66%, -90% etc quite literally all the time. So no, you're wrong, that's not what it meant. You're the only person who said that, the only person who got confused by it but you decided to have a go at the OP anyway. Which is why I asked whether you were new to Steam. Simple.

Okay, okay, okay. You're clearly not understanding. I know how Steam works, I know what it means, and what I'm arguing isn't correct in regards to what the price change is.

However, even though the price change isn't meant to be represented this way, it could be interpreted differently where it could be seen as a 125% price increase. It's not, but it could be seen that way. That's what I'm saying.

And when did I ever have a go at the OP? I never insulted him or said that he was wrong. I agreed and then noted that the other person the OP was replying to could also be seen as correct, even if they really aren't.

Okay, okay, okay. You're clearly not understanding. I know how Steam works, I know what it means, and what I'm arguing isn't correct in regards to what the price change is.

However, even though the price change isn't meant to be represented this way, it could be interpreted differently where it could be seen as a 125% price increase. It's not, but it could be seen that way. That's what I'm saying.

And when did I ever have a go at the OP? I never insulted him or said that he was wrong. I agreed and then noted that the other person the OP was replying to could also be seen as correct, even if they really aren't.

Mountain out of a molehill is all I'm saying. Anyways, it's really, really simple and there's no way that a percentage above 100% can somehow become a price increase. The notation is -X% with the price right next to it, so it's damn well clear that they mean $N -X%. There's absolutely zero ambiguity in the way they've written it at all. So I don't see what the big deal is and that's why I asked if you were new to Steam. Because if you're not I wonder whether or not you bring this up every time a steam sale comes around.....

Why are you guys fighting over this? topkek

NFI

anyone with an IQ higher than their age knows how discounts work. Did you really think sale meant more expensive? if it were negative it would've been in brackets. 

Not to mention, when a price goes from 39,99 to -8,76, It is obviously not a price increase. If you still feel this is a major issue- contact valve. 

anyone with an IQ higher than their age knows how discounts work. Did you really think sale meant more expensive? if it were negative it would've been in brackets. 

Not to mention, when a price goes from 39,99 to -8,76, It is obviously not a price increase. If you still feel this is a major issue- contact valve. 

Now I'm just kind of dumbfounded. Do you guys really still think that I don't understand the steam sales? 

Okay. I'll try and make this as clear as possible. I know how Steam works. I know that that is a DECREASE in price, not a markup.

However, all I was saying is that it is possible for someone to see "-125%" and think "Oh, that must mean an increase in price"

That's all.

Mountain out of a molehill is all I'm saying. Anyways, it's really, really simple and there's no way that a percentage above 100% can somehow become a price increase. The notation is -X% with the price right next to it, so it's damn well clear that they mean $N -X%. There's absolutely zero ambiguity in the way they've written it at all. So I don't see what the big deal is and that's why I asked if you were new to Steam. Because if you're not I wonder whether or not you bring this up every time a steam sale comes around.....

NFI

Yeah, I agree that it's completely obvious. However, all I was saying is that it's possible for someone to think that it's a negative discount, rather than a negative price change. So, rather than $N-X%, they would think it's $N-(-X%), which would mean an increase.

Now I'm just kind of dumbfounded. Do you guys really still think that I don't understand the steam sales? 

Okay. I'll try and make this as clear as possible. I know how Steam works. I know that that is a DECREASE in price, not a markup.

However, all I was saying is that it is possible for someone to see "-125%" and think "Oh, that must mean an increase in price"

That's all.

Who sees a sale and thinks "oh, i pay more now"?

This is what makes me dumbfounded.

^^^

Who sees a sale and thinks "oh, i pay more now"?

This is what makes me dumbfounded.

It doesn't ever say "-125% off" it says "-125%" which is obviously $N-X%