New paint coating reflects sunlight & heat

ahhming

The team of researchers developed an ultrathin, multilayered, nanophotonic material that is capable of reflecting the sun’s heat away from buildings in order to cool it, while also directing internal heat from inside the building to the outside to effect a natural cooling system. Just like a mirror would reflect sunlight, the paint coating reflects away sunlight heat and draws a building’s interior heat outside. The building is cooled, and the planet is also cooled.

The researchers have called the system a “photonic radiative cooling”, and they achieved the breakthrough with a coating that is made up of silicon dioxide (SiO2) and hafnium dioxide (HfO2) – set on a thin layer of silver. These materials are then arranged into seven layers that is 1.8 microns thick which is actually thinner than aluminum foil – and with the ingenuity of the scientists, this material has the ability to reflect sunlight and also conduct infrared rays.

Actual tests prove that the coating is capable of reflecting away 97% of incoming sunlight and when this is combined with the photonic radiative cooling system, then the material becomes cooler than the surrounding air by about 9oF or 5oC.

white-roofs-debunked-620-600x337.jpg

Source:

http://thewestsidestory.net/2014/11/27/21916/stanford-scientists-develop-paint-coating-reflects-sunlight-cools-planet/

More read:

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-cool-high-tech-mirror-space.html

Now we only need to figure out a way how to apply this directly on humans and sunblock manufacturers are done.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

That is pretty neat. Would also be interesting to see a reversed version for polar climates.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Now just to incorporate it into automotive paint and I'm sold.  

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Coat the the arctic ice with this = Global warming solved.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So we've invented white paint, right?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

So we've invented white paint, right?

some REALLY reflective white paint... even tho we have mirrors that reflect 99.8% but you cant paint people with them xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

some REALLY reflective white paint... even tho we have mirrors that reflect 99.8% but you cant paint people with them xD

I was kidding. I understand what's going on. What they're doing is in essence creating a coating that reflects visible light, but can still radiate the thermal radiation.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I was kidding. I understand what's going on. What they're doing is in essence creating a coating that reflects visible light, but can still radiate the thermal radiation.

it also reflects IR and UV light (i speculate) and that is why it doesnt get heated, but it has no objection to radiating heat in the shape of UV and IR rays (mostly IR, since its really not that hot)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

it also reflects IR and UV light (i speculate) and that is why it doesnt get heated, but it has no objection to radiating heat in the shape of UV and IR rays (mostly IR, since its really not that hot)

Hmm... I think the nature of blackbody radiation is such that you cannot both fully reflect and radiate IR. That would violate the rules of thermodynamics. What I think is happening here is it takes advantage of the fact that almost all of the energy that can be radiated is IR and quite a lot of what would otherwise be absorbed is in the shorter, visible wavelengths. The coating must have been formulated to have a very low albedo in the IR wavelengths, and very high in the shorter wavelengths.

Hmm... I think the nature of blackbody radiation is such that you cannot both fully reflect and radiate IR. That would violate the rules of thermodynamics. What I think is happening here is it takes advantage of the fact that almost all of the energy that can be radiated is IR and quite a lot of what would otherwise be absorbed is in the shorter, visible wavelengths. The coating must have been formulated to have a very low albedo in the IR wavelengths, and very high in the shorter wavelengths.

that is possible. im not an expert in thermodynamics (honestly, ive only learned enough of it to pass an exam) but it could be that :)

"Global warming" was never the issue, climate change is. Some parts of the world are getting hotter while others are getting colder...

And mind you, coating the arctic ice with it would be kind of useless since the snow reflects most heat and radiation anyway.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Available+now+on+amazon+_8cabbab2444c030

iMtMNgJyH7BOt.gif

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

You're a fucking genius.

If you love what you do, it's not work.

Sweet. Let me cover my yard in this shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Follow me on this, anyone remember the solar sail spacecraft designs? I imagine coating the sail with a substance like this would probably increase its efficiency. ie, reflecting short wavelength light and ejecting IR light?

Thoughts?

"Global warming" was never the issue, climate change is. Some parts of the world are getting hotter while others are getting colder...

And mind you, coating the arctic ice with it would be kind of useless since the snow reflects most heat and radiation anyway.

Parts are getting colder while others are getting hotter is true but the planet as a whole is getting hotter ergo global warming.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

@LinusTech should paint the new office in this so he doesn't have to buy air-conditioning :P

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120