Just bought the ASUS Phoebus 7.1, how is it ?

FrizerIce
Go to solution Solved by GamerDude,

I'm a present owner of a Phoebus, which I'd used for both headphones/headset (HX Cloud) and speakers (Klipsch PM2.1). Before getting an external DAC/AMP. I did hook up my HD800 to it, the Phoebus powered the HD800 easily, though it sounded a tad bright (HD800 tend to be a tad on the bright side with certain soundcards or DAC/AMP's). Not a problem with the HX Cloud since it's closed backed and is not known to be bright. I find the Phoebus to be pretty good for gaming and watching movies, and I have zero issue with the driver, it's been working great since the day I'd installed it in my 2nd rig.

For music appreciation, I have a headphone DAC/AMP/PreAMP hooked up to my HD800 playing DSD64 tracks with foobar and it's eargasm. I don't see myself going back to soundcards for audio listening any more. Hence, I've dedicated my Phoebus solely for gaming and movies which it handles quite nicely.

Aww, I don't know how to take this.  :huh: OP has already gotten the soundcard, and he seems to need a headset more than a pair of cans. I do have the same soundcard, so I spoke from the heart about it. IF he'd not gotten the soundcard, and is willing to deal with a modmic to go with the cans, then yes, an external DAC/AMP would be the way to go. There is definitely a difference between audio from the soundcard and an external DAC/AMP. even I am able to discern that. But is the TS/OP willing and able to pay more for an external DAC/AMP + headphones? To me, if someone has the product at hand, and is unable or unwilling to return it, I don't see as my job to rain on his parade for the sake of audio purity.

Just like when I argue about AMD GPU vs nVidia GPU, if at the end, TS/OP decides to go with nVidia (I'm pro AMD BTW), I don't diss or insult the TS/OP, it's his choice since he'd be paying good money for it. I would wish him all the best and move on, that's how I am, Not referring to you, but when I went with an external DAC/AMP of my choice, that was what happened to me, a certain member dissed me and made it sound like his opinion mattered more than mine......I've NEVER put my opinion over the TS/OP. If, after all the advice and opinions/impressions have been aired, and TS/OP chooses to walk his own path, it's his choice....we can only wish his all the best with his/her purchases.

I think I know what you mean now....in light of this, I shall do as some of you guys wish, I shall not post in the audio section anymore. And no, I won't let the door hit me on the way out. :rolleyes:  I've often wondered why this section a few who post regularly while most just come to ask a question or two and aren't seen again, at least not till when they have other audio related questions. Now,the reason is quite apparent. Anyway, thanks for the advice and indulgence shown.... :)

I'm not dissin' on you man, just explaining to OP what kind of shaft is up DW's butt. 

Soundcard threads always end up with someone's feelings getting hurt so I've been trying to stay out of them other than an initial "shrug" post. The mods know I'm not afraid of hurting someone's feelings, but I agree it doesn't make much sense to beat a dead horse when the OP has already bought the product.

I think I know what you mean now....in light of this, I shall do as some of you guys wish, I shall not post in the audio section anymore. And no, I won't let the door hit me on the way out. :rolleyes:  I've often wondered why this section a few who post regularly while most just come to ask a question or two and aren't seen again, at least not till when they have other audio related questions. Now,the reason is quite apparent. Anyway, thanks for the advice and indulgence shown.... :)

Well, trying to be fair, yes and no.

Yes, what Shearme said is true. There are some people who gave a wrong answer to a question, insisted that it's the right thing, and by doing so, mislead the OP.

No, on this topic only, it's not entirely your fault. From the start the OP was just looking for someone to back him up on his purchase decision. It could be you, Obama, or Putin, doesn't matter, as long as he's backing the OP's decision. 

It's not just us in the audio forum that people think are self important twats, it happens anywhere when people want to be realistic about audio.  The problem ( THE BIG PROBLEM) is the amount of misinformation, snake oil and simple misconception people have about what is sometimes a really simple subject that is solely understood through a complex aural system that very few people actually understand.  This is why companies like Asus can charge hundreds of dollars for a product no better than a $50 job from china.   Because people fall for the marketing hook line and sinker.  Sure there are better products out there that justify there price tag, and 9 times out of ten you do get what you pay for in one way or another, it's just the difference between value and cost is significantly bigger in domestic audio.

Even this post will be seen by many as me simply justifying  a position that makes me feel superior, That is the way of humans I am afraid, if you can't argue the subject matter then dismiss the arguer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I guess those of you who use an external dac instead of a soundcard, doesn't have control over bass and treble...right?

I have the Creative Titanium HD with a dedicated amp.  I use the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X to listen to music, movies, games and couldn't be happier with this combo. 

I guess those of you who use an external dac instead of a soundcard, doesn't have control over bass and treble...right?

I have the Creative Titanium HD with a dedicated amp.  I use the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X to listen to music, movies, games and couldn't be happier with this combo. 

Well, actually:

greq_zps2fdec7dc.jpg

Tone control from software/music player is more than enough, with its 30 bands

fiio_e17_03.jpg

E07k and E17 also got digital tone control in them

Just a matter of implementing/adding a tone control circuit to the source. There are tons of free schematic for tone controls, such as:

3_band_EQ_B.gif

Or, for perfectionists and fine tuners, they could alway go for something like:

FMelx6Ebcf0JQWUPQ3Oh.jpg

Moral: where there's a will, there's a way.... :P

Moral of the story, everyone everywhere is inexplicably stupid due to being a person. Better luck next time if you believe in reincarnation. 

Moral: where there's a will, there's a way.... :P

A besquillion and one options but only two ears :D

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.