XBL Vs PSN (XBL Gold vs PS+)

Ok, ive heard many a people say that XBL is much better than PSN.  

Now ive only had limited experience with XBL, so not enough to base a solid opinion of it on.

Can someone substantiate the claims that it is superior by saying something other than "it's just better", because honestly i think people are either fanboying or full of it most of the time when they say that.

I'm sure some discussion about XBL Gold and PS+ can also be had.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

It really shouldn't be a choice between these two services. It should be XBOne vs PS4. Do you want a gaming console? Or a DVR that spies on you and forces DRM down your throat? That's what people should be discussing when it comes to "what is better?"

It really shouldn't be a choice between these two services. It should be XBOne vs PS4. Do you want a gaming console? Or a DVR that spies on you and forces DRM down your throat? That's what people should be discussing when it comes to "what is better?

I dont care about the Pros/Cons of PS4 vs XBone, im rather versed in them. I wanna know why tons of absolute dafties back up XBL over PSN without substantiating their claims.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Ok, ive heard many a people say that XBL is much better than PSN.  

Now ive only had limited experience with XBL, so not enough to base a solid opinion of it on.

Can someone substantiate the claims that it is superior by saying something other than "it's just better", because honestly i think people are either fanboying or full of it most of the time when they say that.

I'm sure some discussion about XBL Gold and PS+ can also be had.

I played on xbox live for about 2 years and  the only reason people think live is better is because they get things like cod dlc faster. Other than that its not much better except for getting some dlc faster.

It really shouldn't be a choice between these two services. It should be XBOne vs PS4. Do you want a gaming console? Or a DVR that spies on you and forces DRM down your throat? That's what people should be discussing when it comes to "what is better?"

Exactly, I couldn't agree with this statement more. 

I dont care about the Pros/Cons of PS4 vs XBone, im rather versed in them. I wanna know why tons of absolute dafties back up XBL over PSN without substantiating their claims.

I gonna go ahead and guess fanboyism.

I believe the whole "Xbox Live/Xbox Gold is better" is based on the following things (not necessarily facts):

"We have to pay for it, therefore it's better as it's infrastructure has better financial support."
Assuming imo. Continued in the "servers are more stable" one.

"PSN was down for months at a time at one point. Xbox Live hasn't ever experienced such a thing."
Xbox Live was down a week during the time PSN was down. Not as long, but my point is more so, it can go down too. This, however, is a valid point, but if Sony allows something like this to happen again, that'd be sad, and doubtful to happen. It's an extreme that's ignore-able because the odds of it happening again are beyond minuscule.

"The servers are more stable/up more often."
From my experience, I haven't seen a difference. I extensively played both Halo 3 multiplayer on Xbox 360 as well as CoD multiplayer on PS3. Never noticed much of a difference. Very opinionated without numbers to prove it. Ties into infrastructure/paying.

​"We get DLC earlier."
This is because they pay for it, so Microsoft can afford to pay to get it earlier. Not that great of a positive imo. Though it is a valid one.

TL;DR:

None of it changes things for me. PSN being down is an extreme. Paying for something doesn't make it better. I've never noticed a difference extensively playing on both, and what little positive there is isn't worth paying for it imo. There's fanboy-ism, which I believe is the cause for most, if not all, of it.

If there's anything I've missed, go for adding it to the thread and discussing it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Since the multiplayer option for the PS4 is now pay-to-play w/ others. I expect Sony to improve it's server stability and besides, it comes bundled w/ other great benefits from it.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Really? XBL and PSN are a major part of the experience of these consoles yet your saying to ignore that fact and just compare some other things?

From my experience XBL has been a better experience. From the updates/patch download speeds which are much faster down to the community. Because the Xbox 360 came with mic's the online was a bit nicer because you could talk to your teammates. Both of these could change once the new consoles are introduced though because of the PS4 required subscription. I'm not sure if the PS4 will ship with a mic though.

PS+ offers a lot of extras though from free games every month, discounts on some games, and early beta access for others.

As of now XBL is winning but I'm thinking next gen PS+ will have the advantage.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Xbox Live can be had for as low as $34.99 for 13 months (12+1 n bonus items). How long will it be til you can say that for PS4 ?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Really? XBL and PSN are a major part of the experience of these consoles yet your saying to ignore that fact and just compare some other things?

Xbox Live can be had for as low as $34.99 for 13 months (12+1 n bonus items). How long will it be til you can say that for PS4 ?

Here's the difference when you decide not to pay for PS+ and/or Xbox LIVE

Xbox One without LIVE... This effectively just turns you console into an expensive brick. No multiplayer, no movie streaming services, no music services, no chat services. Enjoy.

PS4 without PS+... No multiplayer.

Wait til the new consoles come out. Then we'll know. They might of each outlined a bunch of features but until we can actually use it no one can comment with any authority.

Unless you buy both consoles and use their payed online features you've got no grounds to comment, it'll be blatantly bias

Xbox One without LIVE... This effectively just turns you console into an expensive brick. No multiplayer / singleplayer, no movie streaming services, no music services, no chat services. Enjoy.

Stop saying things that are not true. XB1 without live/gold membership allows you so play your games in single player. It doesn't disable everything. Why would you even think that? You are just on the bandwagon of the Microsoft hate and saying anything to help your cause.

He said he didn't want to talk about specs so if you are talking about the internet connection than you are right to an extent you can still use a couple features. But for some people that doesn't matter. I and millions other always have internet connection. That is who this console is made for. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean you have to complain about it and talk people out of it or call them fan boys because they don't listen to what you have to say.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Xbox One without LIVE... This effectively just turns you console into an expensive brick. No multiplayer, no movie streaming services, no music services, no chat services. Enjoy.

Do you already have an Xbox one? How do you know? Coz Sony fanboys said so? Coz 360 is like this? Link please?

Just saying, until the consoles come out no one can comment on this, just speculate, there's months til they hit shelves, anything can change.

Everyone has become PS4 and Xbox One scholars in the last couple of days... Wait until they're out before you "study" them...

Wait til the new consoles come out. Then we'll know. They might of each outlined a bunch of features but until we can actually use it no one can comment with any authority.

Unless you buy both consoles and use their payed online features you've got no grounds to comment, it'll be blatantly bias

I suppose you could be right. But speaking based on Sony's and Microsoft's past actions with their previous consoles does add ground and validity.

Stop saying things that are not true. XB1 without live/gold membership allows you so play your games in single player.

For 24hrs. at least...

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

For 24hrs. at least...

No, you need internet yes but you do not need a subscription service to play single player.

Stop saying things that are not true. XB1 without live/gold membership allows you so play your games in single player. It doesn't disable everything. Why would you even think that? You are just on the bandwagon of the Microsoft hate and saying anything to help your cause.

I fixed my post about not being able to play singleplayer before you posted. I attributed the "not being able to play single player" with the not having Xbox LIVE Gold membership instead of the Always-On requirement. Sucks, huh? The Always-On thing?

Do you already have an Xbox one? How do you know? Coz Sony fanboys said so? Coz 360 is like this? Link please?

Just saying, until the consoles come out no one can comment on this, just speculate, there's months til they hit shelves, anything can change.

Everyone has become PS4 and Xbox One scholars in the last couple of days... Wait until they're out before you "study" them...

The hardware and software are already in production. Unless Microsoft calls to push back the release date soon, expect the Xbox One to be stocked on shelves in your local store as it is now. Always-On and limited in freedom as it is now.

You can go ahead and wait and hope but I wouldn't want to count the stars.

I fixed my post about not being able to play singleplayer before you posted. I attributed the "not being able to play single player" with the not having Xbox LIVE Gold membership instead of the Always-On requirement. Sucks, huh? The Always-On thing?

The hardware and software are already in production. Unless Microsoft calls to push back the release date soon, expect the Xbox One to be stocked on shelves in your local store as it is now. Always-On and limited in freedom as it is now.

You can go ahead and wait and hope but I wouldn't want to count the stars.

I wasn't referring to Always On feature, I think that is pretty set in stone. Personally I don't see the problem, its got built-in wifi antenna, everywhere has wifi. Do people plan to take their consoles with them when they go camping or something?

More the 'xbox without live = brick'. I mean, if you're paying $500 for a console, $50 for games you probably shouldn't be worried about a $60/year fee for online. Where Sony isn't charging you a yearly fee you can bet they are making that money up in some other way.

The only thing I see as a true negative for the xbox one is how used games will be handled. But until it happens we aren't going to know the details 100% from both sides.

You know you have contributed nothing to the topic at hand. The OP asked specific questions and you just decided to go off on your own biased rant about which one he should buy. That was not the question. Try keeping on topic because you have actually made this thread less productive. 

PS. I agree with you. XB1 have gone over board imo. That doesn't mean you still can't look at the topics and questions objectively. And this is a very important topic. PS4 could crap all over XB1 in every way but if they make the same mistakes they made with PSN, then it could be a serious blow to them taking over as the dominant console super power. 

Back to the topic at hand. I believe one of the main reasons people prefer XBL is due to the community that is on XBL. Microsoft wanted people to engage while playing mulitplayer and they encouraged this by including a headset with each xbox (albeit a crappy one). This just never really caught on as much for the PS3. It is the same with the PC. Nobody really talks on PC games and if they do, its one idiot screaming down the mic. People actually engage on XBL and that is something that is new to gaming. Now that people see the interactions that people have on XBL (they see it in a lot of youtube videos etc.), they want it to so there is starting to be a shift in the lone mentality of playing multiplayer games across all platforms. All Sony have to do is to include a $2 headset with each console. The people will do the rest. 

I am not sure if there any any other issues that make XBL stand out from PSN. I have played a limited time on both but I didn't notice any major differences. Possibly the PS network is less reliable and less safer. I know they did have a 26 day blackout period and a lot of people got there information hacked. Nothing like that has happened on XBL as far as I am aware. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I wasn't referring to Always On feature, I think that is pretty set in stone. Personally I don't see the problem, its got built-in wifi antenna, everywhere has wifi. Do people plan to take their consoles with them when they go camping or something?

More the 'xbox without live = brick'. I mean, if you're paying $500 for a console, $50 for games you probably shouldn't be worried about a $60/year fee for online. Where Sony isn't charging you a yearly fee you can bet they are making that money up in some other way.

The only thing I see as a true negative for the xbox one is how used games will be handled. But until it happens we aren't going to know the details 100% from both sides.

I think Sony are also going with a paid subscription for their online network for the PS4. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

the xbox servers go down more often because theyre running windows server were as playstion is linux server which is very reliable when setup properly. windows servers have to be rebooted weekly unlike linux which doesnt need to be rebooted for like a year. the ps+ is even better with a vita cause they have free games for that aswel.

You know you have contributed nothing to the topic at hand. The OP asked specific questions and you just decided to go off on your own biased rant about which one he should buy. That was not the question. Try keeping on topic because you have actually made this thread less productive. 

I did keep to the topic, I said what I felt what was needed to be said. Whether I contributed anything to the thread or not was irrelevant to what I wanted to say. But when people decide to reply specifically to my posts regardless of the thread's purpose is.. And if I feel if it's fucking worth a damn, I'm going to reply back. And you no authority to say otherwise.

I did keep to the topic, I said what I felt what was needed to be said. Whether I contributed anything to the thread or not was irrelevant to what I wanted to say. But when people decide to reply specifically to my posts regardless of the thread's purpose is.. And if I feel if it's fucking worth a damn, I'm going to reply back. And you no authority to say otherwise.

I am not saying I am an authority. I am just stating what I read. The topic the OP started was on "the console networks" not "Xbox1 vs PS4". Your first words were "It really shouldn't be a choice between these two services. It should be...". The two services were the topic at hand, not Xbox1 vs PS4. 

at this point you have said what you "felt needed to be said". 

When the OP tried to tell you that he wasn't interested in talking about Xbox1 vs PS4, you accused him of being a fanboy. 

When the OP tried to tell you that he wasn't interested in talking about Xbox1 vs PS4, you accused him of being a fanboy. 

You read that wrong. I quoted a specific part of his post and I answered it. I didn't say he was a fanboy I guessed that fanboyism is the cause of people sticking with Xbox no matter how much DRM/restrictions are applied. Next time, use some reading comprehension, please?

At this point, you're derailing this thread more that I was. This will be my last reply to you. Have a nice day.