LINUS please stop with the android battery life.

kn1ghtnsh1narmr

I keep hearing people talking about android battery life and Linus keeps bring it up.  The iPhone doesnt have better battery life.  Android give you the choice.  My battery life sucks but thats because I have the choice.  I have a dual boot live wallpaper on best performance, 8 pages full of widgets, email constantly pulling down and screen on full brightness.

If you want/need battery life turn the screen brightness down, no live wallpapers,  dont allow background apps, underclock your cores, ect, ect.

depending on your phone you can get battery cases, wired or wireless battery bricks, home, car and work chargers.  I just dont understand why slick and linus keep talking about battery life.  

And for all the windows phone people out there, you have stockholm syndrome.  I was there.  I had windows xp, xbox 360 and windows mobile.  I wanted the unified experience.  Windows mobile was open and then Microsoft tried to out Apple, Apple.  Only reason I bring it up is because when I searched on the forum to see what people have said so many people try to advocate for windows phone.

1. no stock OS other than on the OnePlus One (Oppo N1 Cyanogenmod edition?) or the Nvidia Shield tablet lets you underclock AFAIK

2. battery cases exist for iOS, probably one of the dumbest claims I've seen defending battery life...

3. Don't allow background apps? Really? Not only is that a developer option, but that's one of the stupidest ways to run a phone period.

4. Why would he NOT talk about battery life? Battery life is an important aspect to touch on ANY mobile device.

And for all the windows phone people out there, you have stockholm syndrome.  I was there.  I had windows xp, xbox 360 and windows mobile.  I wanted the unified experience.  Windows mobile was open and then Microsoft tried to out Apple, Apple.  Only reason I bring it up is because when I searched on the forum to see what people have said so many people try to advocate for windows phone.

I moved from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Nokia Lumia 1020. Best move I've ever made, loving that 1.5day battery :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I moved from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Nokia Lumia 1020. Best move I've ever made, loving that 1.5day battery :)

Nice, I moved from a Nexus 5 to Xperia Z2 also loving that 1.5day battery.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

1. no stock OS other than on the OnePlus One (Oppo N1 Cyanogenmod edition?) or the Nvidia Shield tablet lets you underclock AFAIK

2. battery cases exist for iOS, probably one of the dumbest claims I've seen defending battery life...

3. Don't allow background apps? Really? Not only is that a developer option, but that's one of the stupidest ways to run a phone period.

4. Why would he NOT talk about battery life? Battery life is an important aspect to touch on ANY mobile device.

1.I think the Linus tech crowd can handle custom roms

2. I know they exist for all types of phones, just throwing it out there if its such a big deal.

3. I forgot its only in cyanogenmod or nexus phone but still everyone here can handle custom roms and this is exactly why the iphone has a "better battery life"

4, I'm not saying its not important.  just with playing around with an android phone you can get better battery life.  in android you choice what important.  just like overclock a cpu or a gpu.

Just a locked in, nonexistant eco system.  If you had used windows mobile you would understand how nice a open os can really be.  It was more open than android, I had microsoft office way before anyone else and I could download anything I wanted and wasnt force to use a microsoft approved program. 

I keep hearing people talking about android battery life and Linus keeps bring it up.  The iPhone doesnt have better battery life.  Android give you the choice.  My battery life sucks but thats because I have the choice.  I have a dual boot live wallpaper on best performance, 8 pages full of widgets, email constantly pulling down and screen on full brightness.

If you want/need battery life turn the screen brightness down, no live wallpapers,  dont allow background apps, underclock your cores, ect, ect.

depending on your phone you can get battery cases, wired or wireless battery bricks, home, car and work chargers.  I just dont understand why slick and linus keep talking about battery life.  

Personally, I think you're off your rocker.

Battery is probably THE most important factor in a modern smartphone. They're all pretty much "fast enough", "big enough", and have "high enough" resolutions. It's been this way for some time now. Innovation must now come in other ways.

Yes, of course, you can use your very expensive smartphone with no backgroup apps, no multitasking, and with very low brightness... but then you really wouldn't be using it, would you? You may as well buy a feature phone at that point.

Modern power users NEED to do all the things you're saying they should stop doing. Battery capacity and battery life are so incredibly important, that I have a hard time comprehending why you're so mad about this.

@LinusTech and @Slick complain about battery life and comment on it all the time because, simply put, they experience and deal with these shortfalls every day.

I'm really not sure what you're going on about with the whole Windows Mobile thing. Windows Mobile died, and GOOD RIDDANCE! I had a WM 6.5 device, and it sucked ass. It was quite simply outdated by modern Smartphone OS standards.

Windows Phone, on the other hand, is a completely different experience. Personally, I love Windows Phone, and I love the direction they are heading. YES, there is room the grow, and yeah, iOS and Android each do things better then WP8 does, but WP8 also does a lot of innovative things.

I think WP is heading in the right direction, and I can't wait to see what Windows Phone 10 looks like - especially if they apply the "Power Users First" design philosophy that they're using with Windows 10 Tech Preview.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Battery life is very important as the above members said.

My phone lasts two days with max clocks. (Four cores at 2150MHz and ~450MHz on the GPU) Brightness at 100%. And metric crap tons of background apps. (Pebble, Steam, Skype, Twitter, Hangouts, and many more)

If your phone has to have 10% brightness and underclocked cores to last a day, either it's a low end phone or just bad.

iOS is lighter and Apple can control the CPU power, so they can decide the battery. It's their choice.

And Windows Phone is a great platform that just needs Devs! 

And it really depends on the phone. Sony laptops could last a month on standby, while HP ones would last a few days. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

1.I think the Linus tech crowd can handle custom roms

2. I know they exist for all types of phones, just throwing it out there if its such a big deal.

3. I forgot its only in cyanogenmod or nexus phone but still everyone here can handle custom roms and this is exactly why the iphone has a "better battery life"

4, I'm not saying its not important.  just with playing around with an android phone you can get better battery life.  in android you choice what important.  just like overclock a cpu or a gpu.

Just a locked in, nonexistant eco system.  If you had used windows mobile you would understand how nice a open os can really be.  It was more open than android, I had microsoft office way before anyone else and I could download anything I wanted and wasnt force to use a microsoft approved program. 

Sure most of us CAN handle custom roms, but most of us DON'T WANT TO! Also, we shouldn't have to! There's a difference between Overclocking a CPU, because it's fun and you're getting performance for free, versus rooting and custom rom-ing your phone, because it's the only way to get decent battery life (oh and in the process you cripple it by actually underclocking it). Great plan.

I get it. You probably have a custom ROM on your phone. You're probably a huge phone enthusiast. But that in no way invalidates the reasons why Slick and Linus complain about battery. They shouldn't HAVE to load a new ROM to get good battery life.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

iOS has fantastic power management and with most Apple Phone Designs having lower than average MAH counts on their batteries due to being thin is rather impressive. (Even though I think Apple should stop concentrating on having a thinner phone but thats just me).

I got rid of my HTC One M7 due to poor, I'd say shit battery life running BOTH the HTC Sense version of Android and Cyanogenmod and got the OnePlus One due to its large battery which with my normal use will get me 2 days of battery life.

Having more battery life on a phone is one of the most important parts of a spec sheet for me.

CPU/GPU: Can be a year or two old as they are fast enough.

Storage: I use mostly cloud services so 16GB os fine for me.

Screen: As long as I can not see the pixels when I hold the phone 20cms from my face then all is good.

Camera: Must not suck.

Front Camera: Could not exist to all I care.

Battery Life: Enough life to allow me to forget to charge it overnight.

If a reviewer didn't cover battery life on a phone review then that unsubscribe button would be pressed simple as.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Battery life is relevant for ANY mobile device and they are absolute shit all around.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

iOS has fantastic power management and with most Apple Phone Designs having lower than average MAH counts on their batteries due to being thin is rather impressive. (Even though I think Apple should stop concentrating on having a thinner phone but thats just me).

I got rid of my HTC One M7 due to poor, I'd say shit battery life running BOTH the HTC Sense version of Android and Cyanogenmod and got the OnePlus One due to its large battery which with my normal use will get me 2 days of battery life.

Having more battery life on a phone is one of the most important parts of a spec sheet for me.

CPU/GPU: Can be a year or two old as they are fast enough.

Storage: I use mostly cloud services so 16GB os fine for me.

Screen: As long as I can not see the pixels when I hold the phone 20cms from my face then all is good.

Camera: Must not suck.

Front Camera: Could not exist to all I care.

Battery Life: Enough life to allow me to forget to charge it overnight.

If a reviewer didn't cover battery life on a phone review then that unsubscribe button would be pressed simple as.

Could you even imagine? If reviewers didn't cover or at least TALK ABOUT the battery life? Yikes.

You know why? Because every Android tablet I've owned, if I leave it unplugged at 100% for a week, I come back and it's 0%, no charge.  If i leave my iPad 100% unplugged for a week, I come back and it's 97% battery, trust me, I've done it before. It's not just efficient use of foreground resources, it's the amazing standby time that makes iOS battery really good as well.  

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Personally, I think you're off your rocker.

Battery is probably THE most important factor in a modern smartphone. They're all pretty much "fast enough", "big enough", and have "high enough" resolutions. It's been this way for some time now. Innovation must now come in other ways.

Yes, of course, you can use your very expensive smartphone with no backgroup apps, no multitasking, and with very low brightness... but then you really wouldn't be using it, would you? You may as well buy a feature phone at that point.

Modern power users NEED to do all the things you're saying they should stop doing. Battery capacity and battery life are so incredibly important, that I have a hard time comprehending why you're so mad about this.

@LinusTech and @Slick complain about battery life and comment on it all the time because, simply put, they experience and deal with these shortfalls every day.

I'm really not sure what you're going on about with the whole Windows Mobile thing. Windows Mobile died, and GOOD RIDDANCE! I had a WM 6.5 device, and it sucked ass. It was quite simply outdated by modern Smartphone OS standards.

Windows Phone, on the other hand, is a completely different experience. Personally, I love Windows Phone, and I love the direction they are heading. YES, there is room the grow, and yeah, iOS and Android each do things better then WP8 does, but WP8 also does a lot of innovative things.

I think WP is heading in the right direction, and I can't wait to see what Windows Phone 10 looks like - especially if they apply the "Power Users First" design philosophy that they're using with Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Well I had the HTC mogul, HTC PRO and the HTC PRO2 and I loved my windows mobile experience for the time.  The openness of windows mobile with the UI of windows phone would have been great but they wanted an app store like apple to get that app money and they f'ed it up.  I doubt WP10 will change that.  No people, no app developers, no apps, and then the cycle begins again.

I'm not saying battery life isnt important.  Battery tech is far behind everything else and I understand that.  I want it to improve.  I have just seen sooo many people take about how there battery life is crap on android and then I ask them if they close their apps in the background and they dont.  ios gets around this by not letting those apps run unless its itunes.

I thought about what you guys said though, android does keep getting better and better. I like lollipop and someone using an old build of android with some of the terrible skins, I can understand why people could not like android.  You really have to know which phone is right for you.

I keep hearing people talking about android battery life and Linus keeps bring it up. The iPhone doesnt have better battery life. Android give you the choice. My battery life sucks but thats because I have the choice. I have a dual boot live wallpaper on best performance, 8 pages full of widgets, email constantly pulling down and screen on full brightness.

If you want/need battery life turn the screen brightness down, no live wallpapers, dont allow background apps, underclock your cores, ect, ect.

depending on your phone you can get battery cases, wired or wireless battery bricks, home, car and work chargers. I just dont understand why slick and linus keep talking about battery life.

And for all the windows phone people out there, you have stockholm syndrome. I was there. I had windows xp, xbox 360 and windows mobile. I wanted the unified experience. Windows mobile was open and then Microsoft tried to out Apple, Apple. Only reason I bring it up is because when I searched on the forum to see what people have said so many people try to advocate for windows phone.

See the amount of hassle needed?

Why is smartphone created?

For convinience

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)