Oculus Rift goes HD: our first look at virtual reality, and virtual cinema, in 1080p

Ethnod

Oculus VR is kicking off E3 with an upgrade to its virtual reality console, the Rift. By simply upgrading its optics from one off-the-shelf cellphone display to another, the company has upgraded the goggles to 1080p — and based on a few minutes of time with Rifts old and new, the upgrade makes a huge difference. Gone is what CEO Brendan Iribe called "the screen-door effect," and everything comes in much sharper and clearer. We played a game rendered in the newly-integrated Unreal Engine 4, and from the snowflakes outside to the large, horned monster inside, details just pop in a way they never did before. It makes the world feel more immersive, more immediate.

Very happy to see this. Loving the idea of this but actually as more time passes I am staring to believe that without something like the Omni the experience will not be the best, especially for people like me who get motion sickness

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4419802/oculus-rift-goes-hd-virtual-reality-cinema

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Awesome, I really want this to be decent priced!!!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Seems like if they could get this to work out alright, motion sickness might not be so bad...

I'm thinking this because I get motion sickness easily too, but that's because of FOV mainly, 1080p seems like it'll - HOPEFULLY - solve that problem for me :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Awesome, I really want this to be decent priced!!!

The oculus is rumored to be around $300 which would be a fair price point I think. Also Oculus just keeps looking better and better every day. Love It!

The oculus is rumored to be around $300 which would be a fair price point I think. Also Oculus just keeps looking better and better every day. Love It!

If that's true it's a very good price :).

Oh yah defiantly but again thats just the rumored price. Thats how much a dev kit costs so hopefully it will be the same.

Cheaper would be great too.

I'm almost tempted to buy one whatever the price is lol, I'm an avid sim racer on the PC, and in those sorts of games, your sitting down, with your body not physically moving so these sorts of games would be absolutely amazing for it.

Oculus Rift + rFactor 2 / LFS = :) :) :) 

• 3 weeks later...

If that's true it's a very good price :).

As an oculus Dev, the consumer version will be muc cheaper as well as have a better display. we're talking less than 300.

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

I'm almost tempted to buy one whatever the price is lol, I'm an avid sim racer on the PC, and in those sorts of games, your sitting down, with your body not physically moving so these sorts of games would be absolutely amazing for it.

Oculus Rift + rFactor 2 / LFS = :) :) :)

I didn't even think about that! Oculus Rift and a steering wheel would be amazing!

I didn't even think about that! Oculus Rift and a steering wheel would be amazing!

Thinking that makes me never want to crash in a racing game while using one.

That's the first thing I'm going to do when I get my dev kit!  I finally got the shipping notice woo hooo!

Damn, i'll even play hawken with a steering wheel first haha

My Rigs (past and present)