Swapping motherboards

Hi guys,

this might be a silly question but I want to clarify this just to make sure.

If I am to purchase a new motherboard and replace my existing one, once I connect the SSD with OS to the new motherboard, I should be good to go right? I would probably need to access the new BIOS on the new motherboard to change boot priority settings, or is there more to it?

Your help and any comments on this would be very helpful,

Thanks again!

if you only have one SATA device it should be fine. I would prefer to connect the SSD to SATA port 1 if it is marked but that isn't really necessary.

worst case scenario you have to change boot priority which isn't bad.

I recommend uninstalling any utilities and drivers specific to your motherboard, then installing the drivers and utilities for yournew motherboard after the swap(if you are not replacing with an identical board)

I raplaced my motherboard a couple of weeks ago and I had to reinstall my OS. I don't know if you will just plug the SSD in and be able to boot no problem. 

Thanks again!

Maybe boot priority, and hopefully you will just need to install some windows drivers and re-activate windows. 

I would still back up your system first, and then plan on doing a clean install at some point in the future.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

All you have to do once you switch motherboards in remove all of the chipset and mobo drivers and replace them with the right ones for your new board. Then when the Windows activation comes up, you have to call and enter in a series of numbers and your Windows will be activated again. No need to reinstall.

Hi guys,

thank you all for your replies. I now have a good understanding to what is necessary and what to expect when swapping motherboards.

All the best!