AMD 760k and WoW

I have seen my boyfriend play wow on my pc plenty of times, and it runs perfectly fine. And I have played Skyrim all the way through, including the side quests. Not once did the FPS drop in the ways you are adamant it will. 

Now you are just been silly, but go ahead and report away. 

You know throwing text on the net is much easier than proving your claims, right?

You're NOT going to have playable framerates on AMD at all.

16 FPS, camera not even fully zoomed out which would take his fps further down, not even a fight which would again tank his fps further down etc. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5

Eh what about this?  It seems WOW framerates are ok there but it is being run at a lower resolution so yeah but then again those cpus are not being overclocked in that benchmark so you definitely could get more fps here.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

This seems absolutely insane.  It makes no logical sense.  Wth is Blizzard doing and why isn't AMD on their *** to fix it?

TDLx2vT.png

Question is what's AMD doing? That Q9550 is an architecture from 2005. In this test they all were clocked at 2.8GHz by the way.

I am on an AMD FX 6300 OC'ed to 4.5 GHz and have a GTX 760 installed.  I can try to create a trial WOW account and see what I get in terms of fps at 1920x1080p.

I am on an AMD FX 6300 OC'ed to 4.5 GHz and have a GTX 760 installed.  I can try to create a trial WOW account and see what I get in terms of fps at 1920x1080p.

Based on the benchmarks posted, you'll probably get what appear to be alright framerates. What would make it interesting is if you also had a Core i3 or Pentium system that you could try for comparison, which may blow past an FX-6300 in WoW by much more than they should.

Based on the benchmarks posted, you'll probably get what appear to be alright framerates. What would make it interesting is if you also had a Core i3 or Pentium system that you could try for comparison, which may blow past an FX-6300 in WoW by much more than they should.

Well did you see that you can get an AMD FX 6300 for $79 right now?  That is pretty insane.  The OP could go with a G3258 or whatever it is and oc the crap out of it too and then upgrade that cpu in the future if need be whereas going with an AMD FX 6300 there is nothing in future coming for that socket to make things significantly better.  The G3258 I think is cheaper than the AMD FX 6300 too.

My gosh a 20 GB+ download for the trial for WOW. LOL I won't have this downloaded for some time so if someone wants to try to help this guy sooner by showing some 1080p benchmarks using an AMD FX 6300 please do.

WoW is 10 years old.. And are going to hit the end of its life in a year or 4, So the next Warcraft is probably going to release pretty soon after that.

Do the draw distance for players even have to be maxed out? There is no real advantage for it.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

My gosh a 20 GB+ download for the trial for WOW. LOL I won't have this downloaded for some time so if someone wants to try to help this guy sooner by showing some 1080p benchmarks using an AMD FX 6300 please do.

When i was playing WoW i almost never dropped below 30fps and the lowest i got were 10-15fps. with everything maxed out exept Shadows(Which were about in the middle) And the Draw distance(Whith Shadows, players and other CPU-heavy things about in the middle) It is the same system as im using now.(But That is me trying to remember it on top of my head)

The a6 6400k has about the same single-core performance as the 4300, 6300 and 8320.

So the 6300 is theoretically 3 times as powerful.

But i were never in bigger than 10-15 man raids.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I have heard that wow doesn't like amd gpus.

We are talking CPU's, Not GPU's.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

We are talking CPU's, Not GPU's.

The OP is talking of getting an AMD GPU also so it is significant somewhat.  If WOW runs worse with AMD GPUs that is a double whammy against the build he proposes.

I have heard that wow doesn't like amd gpus.

As far as I can tell, AMD GPUs do fine, or at least within a few percent of where they should be. And any issues they might have would probably be covered up by the game demanding so little from a GPU in the first place.  It's AMD's CPUs that have pretty significant issues.

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the issue. It's a matter of cost versus performance. A cheaper product performs equally, and a faster product costs the same. I'm aware the game "runs" on AMD hardware without apparent issue until you start comparing them to other products.

To be clear, this isn't an "Intel is better than AMD!!111" thing. I'm aware that AMD's current lineup performs roughly where they should for their prices in virtually every other game. But this thread is about WoW, and for years, World of Warcraft has had serious and well-documented problems with AMD processors. Someone buying a processor for WoW would do a lot better for their money with literally any Intel product.

My laptop has an AMD A8 (Quad Core 1.9GHz) on Windows 8.1 and it seems to run WoW just fine granted I only have Starter Edition (since I'm too cheap and don't play it that much) have never ran into a problem with WoW besides my internet being slow at times (Which isn't surprising.) I was playing WoW on a 39" 1080p LED TV (120Hz) with out an issue. Now I could try more intensive task than just running around doing quest but eh in most scenarios it really depends on your internet. (Also side note, I was playing on a server that I played on when I had a subscription to WoW [Nazgrel] and Nazgrel is a decently populated US Server.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Sorry for the late reply been a little busy.  A lot of great info out their, After browsing around I saw that a lot of people are saying that intel and nvidia have better chances working in WoW. I was wondering if a G3258 OC and a gtx 760 would do better than the 760k and r9 280. Still playing around on which way I would try to go.

WoW need all the CPU horse power you can throw at it. That said the game runs smooth even if around 40fps which is where you will be sitting in places like Storm Wind and Elwin Forest.

austin video

Again with the video. Will you stop linking this video already? It's a very narrow and skewed way to look at CPU performance. Austin is a really a-technical reviewer without a clue. Just like Logan.

Seriously, 760K's, A10's, FX CPU's. What are you guys doing. If you recommend a CPU like that for WoW you have no place in helping people here.

WoW essentially runs on 2-3 (mostly two) threads. 

"I have a T6400 Core2Duo iGPU laptop and run the game just fine". <--- so what, that does not make the choice of either CPU A or B better, nor is it relevant.

Again with the video. Will you stop linking this video already? It's a very narrow and skewed way to look at CPU performance. Austin is a really a-technical reviewer without a clue. Just like Logan.

Seriously, 760K's, A10's, FX CPU's. What are you guys doing. If you recommend a CPU like that for WoW you have no place in helping people here.

Holy shit someone is fanboying out over Intel. Not even going into discussion with you.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Holy shit someone is fanboying out over Intel. Not even going into discussion with you.

This has nothing to do with fanboyism, stop using that as a go-to excuse to avoid criticism. This is multiple people denying facts that have been known for years now. It's is objectively very bad to put an AMD cpu in your WoW build.

Cognitive dissonance much?

This has nothing to do with fanboyism, stop using that as a go-to excuse to avoid criticism. This is multiple people denying facts that have been known for years now. It's is objectively very bad to put an AMD cpu in your WoW build.

Cognitive dissonance much?

Cognitive dissonance? Oh please, not here

I'll humor you. The Athlon 760k was used in BF4 (Stressful on both the GPU and the CPU) and the Athlon performed very well and BF4 is at the very least just as demanding as WoW in terms of CPU horsepower.

Anyway, I'd like to see your proof that using a 760k is bad for WoW. Give me irrefutable evidence that an AMD CPU is bad for wow and I'll admit I was wrong.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

and BF4 is at the very least just as demanding as WoW in terms of CPU horsepower.

Anyway, I'd like to see your proof that using a 760k is bad for WoW. Give me irrefutable evidence that an AMD CPU is bad for wow and I'll admit I was wrong.

WoW uses 2 threads, maybe three. Saying it's "just as demanding" is an extremely skewed way of looking at it. It's only heavy on two cores, meaning the performance in general boils down to the speed per core.

The only way you can be right, is that AMD has a better per-core performance as Intel. Well, we both know that ain't true.

Even Sandy Celerons beat AMD's at WoW.

Cognitive dissonance? Oh please, not here

I'll humor you. The Athlon 760k was used in BF4 (Stressful on both the GPU and the CPU) and the Athlon performed very well and BF4 is at the very least just as demanding as WoW in terms of CPU horsepower.

WoW favors Intel/nvidia like fly's favor shit.

Well, we both know that ain't true.

If it's so obvious bring me proof -,-