AMD 760k and WoW

Not in World of Warcraft, which is what the OP is talking about. The Pentium performs far better than the Athlon in frame rate over time.

That could be but it would be nice to have those claims confirmed. Not saying you are wrong but rather confirmation from a good source is always nice.

That could be but it would be nice to have those claims confirmed. Not saying you are wrong but rather confirmation from a good source is always nice.

The link I provided in my last post shows framerate over time. All the chips had typical frametime variance and no spikes, while the Pentium consistently performed much better than the Athlon, both stock and overclocked.

I can't find any YT videos or other in-depth tests for World of Warcraft. The only YT video for WoW using the G3258 the guy has vertical sync on. :/

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The link I provided in my last post shows framerate over time. All the chips had typical frametime variance and no spikes, while the Pentium consistently performed much better than the Athlon, both stock and overclocked.

I can't find any YT videos or other in-depth tests for World of Warcraft. The only YT video for WoW using the G3258 the guy has vertical sync on. :/

Ya according to TH the Pentium should be able to maintain over 60fps min most of the time. That said it will be much less in RAIDS and in towns with lots of player population.

Ya according to TH the Pentium should be able to maintain over 60fps min most of the time. That said it will be much less in RAIDS and in towns with lots of player population.

Yeah you think that'll be any different on the Athlon? You can't even maintain 60 fps in raids on an i7-5960X @ 4.5GHz in WoW because its engine is complete garbage.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Yeah you think that'll be any different on the Athlon? You can't even maintain 60 fps in raids on an i7-5960X @ 4.5GHz in WoW because its engine is complete garbage.

It goes for all MMOs. That said when we take into account that WoW is a 15 year old game engine I would say it's pretty freaking well optimized and decently updated though a complete overhaul would be nice I can;t complain cause I can;t code my way out of nothing LOL. I am still not recommending the Pentium though nor the Athlon. At leased Core i3 Haswell or nothing IMO though the FX 6300 is an amazing value in this situation Intel is the way to go.

860k would be better, but as many people have said many times the i5 is superior for gaming right now

Part of the Q6600 club

Thanks for all the info everyone, been a lot of help. After some new deals coming up on newegg here's what I've got for the current build.

cpu - i3 4150

gpu - msi gtx 760 oc (2gb)

ram - g skill sniper 8gb

ssd - intel 530 120gb

hdd - seagate barracuda 1tb

psu - corsair cx600

Thanks for all the info everyone, been a lot of help. After some new deals coming up on newegg here's what I've got for the current build.

cpu - i3 4150

ram - g skill sniper 8gb

ssd - intel 530 120gb

psu - corsair cx600

any reasons to go with the nvidia GTX 760 instead of a radeon R9 280? the R9 280 is more powerful and most of the time cheaper to buy...she also ship with an extra GB of VRAM.

Unless you own a shield or you catch a very good deal somewhere the R9 280 is a better choice.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

cpu - i3 4150

ram - g skill sniper 8gb

ssd - intel 530 120gb

psu - corsair cx600

Here is a much better build.  Pick whatever case you want.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4sRCJ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4sRCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($104.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($45.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($141.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $493.19

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 08:53 EST-0500

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Here is a much better build. Pick whatever case you want.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4sRCJ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4sRCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($141.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $493.19

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 08:53 EST-0500

Intel is better for WoW, so i vote this one

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Since the test bench used for this graph has an i7 4770k @4.2Ghz, no wonder the fps is so dam high.

Maybe the OP should spend more money to get an i3 or even an i5 because you don't need a pro gpu for 60fps!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

any reasons to go with the nvidia GTX 760 instead of a radeon R9 280? the R9 280 is more powerful and most of the time cheaper to buy...she also ship with an extra GB of VRAM.

Unless you own a shield or you catch a very good deal somewhere the R9 280 is a better choice.

I was browsing the wow forums and after checking through about 15-20 threads i was finding slightly better finds with the 760, some saying the amd video drivers were still having issues. Not entirely sure about it all. The main reason I did switch was because he said he was possibly considering a shield but he wasn't sure on it yet. So I switched to nvidia for the possible future. At the moment I was able to find both cards on sale at 200.

It's an old, outdated engine which with new CPU's has become poorly optimised. Blizzard haven't bothered to optimise it to take advantage of any CPU that has more than 2 cores. For as long as people continue to pay the fees and play it, it won't get fixed. Same applies to Ubisoft, once they realize people won't buy their poorly optimised games they'll actually bother to optimise it. I understand it's a bit more difficult to optimise an old engine like the one WoW uses, however that doesn't mean they shouldn't bother.

You're failing to understand that multithreading is NOT a fix, 50-60% of the instructions the CPU has to process in WoW CAN'T be multithreaded. /cast [target=benny] Flash of Light can't run of all your cores. People use a shitload of addons which are only running off one core which are eating resources like nuts, fixing the engine isn't your only fix. Watch Dogs is "considered" as one of the best multithreaded game but fails massively. There's always a main thread and they put trash in the rest of the threads, that's what they do. Never been like 8 main threads which can work indepedently of each other ability do the same thing at the same time. It's not about how much it is multithreaded but about how well is it multithreaded and to not forget (which we never will have in games) is parallelism.

Making WoW heavily multithreaded would require a complete recode which would mean like a year lots of people complaining about stability and most WoW players are on a laptop which would mean heat output would increase by a lot or even affect desktop users if theyre running a stock cooler with dry paste. All that just for to jump from 30 to 60 FPS in a 25m raid you might didn't even need at all. You don't move a lot in that game with that I mean is changing the camera, trying to notice the difference between 30 & 60 FPS in a static camera is extremely hard, but it's noticeable once you move your camera quite a lot. There's little reason for Blizzard to do what you're wishing, Ubisoft has a shitload of reasons to do it because their games do need it. Ubisoft fails making singleplayer games GPU limited, Blizzard is not failing in this with Diablo 3, any game even BF4/Crysis 3 whatsoever with a massive playercount eg 1000 vs 1000 in an operation metro CQL map will be CPU bound.

Blizzard is better off just improving what they currently have and forget about multithreading the game better assuming if that would require a big overhaul.

Ask any wow player if they would love the game getting F2P, that should explain you why people pay a monthly fee. How do you know Blizzard actually doesn't bother? Afaik WoW is the first game that was 64 bit though. Directx11 was added as well so we might see DirectX12.