I NEED HELP! LIKE NOW! URGENT!

anthonytran7757

Well that is more great news. Have you checked in with your friend about swapping in your CPU on his MB..?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Well that is more great news. Have you checked in with your friend about swapping in your CPU on his MB..?

yeah hes going to lend me his mobo tomorrow 

Well try the CPU first..if the system starts than the chances are good that the CPU is OK.. If you have the memtest  iso burned to a DVD/CD or USB than that is the best way to test the DIMMs.  

o_O the system will boot up without ram?

It'll turn on without RAM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No..the system will give you an error, here is a list of common beep codes from the major BIOS manufactures.

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/bios-beep-codes

What you will want to do is install your DIMM's on his MB. You could put all of it in at once..seeing as you are just checking if it is DOA.

I would then take each stick and test it with the bootable memtester to see the condition of the DIMMs

It'll turn on without RAM.

Correct. The system will turn on. 

No..the system will give you an error, here is a list of common beep codes from the major BIOS manufactures.

http://forum-en.msi....bios-beep-codes

What you will want to do is install your DIMM's on his MB. You could put all of it in at once..seeing as you are just checking if it is DOA.

I would then take each stick and test it with the bootable memtester to see the condition of the DIMMs

so what would i see if my CPU is alive and what will i see if my CPU is dead?

If your CPU is dead it could return 5 beeps..or repeat high and low beeps, or a 1-1-2 beeps..will depend on your friends BIOS maker. If it is OK..than the system will carry on..it may halt the system so you can enter the BIOS. This is a good sign.

If your CPU is dead it could return 5 beeps..or repeat high and low beeps, or a 1-1-2 beeps..will depend on your friends BIOS maker. If it is OK..than the system will carry on..it may halt the system so you can enter the BIOS. This is a good sign.

so i would be looking for this with the RAM in my system?

Yes. What you will need to understand is that If the CPU is toast, you may not get to the point where the system will look for DIMMs. If you put your CPU and your RAM in his system and  you get to a POST screen, the chances are good that the CPU is OK. You will need to test the RAM to be sure that there are no damaged chips. That is why the first thing to do will be to have the memtest program set and ready to load if the system boots. I hope that it will POST.

IF the CPU is toast than you may get beep codes or nothing at all..the MB may not even power up. IF  the CPU is GOOD then the only way to be sure of the RAM is by testing it.

Yes. What you will need to understand is that If the CPU is toast, you may not get to the point where the system will look for DIMMs. If you put your CPU and your RAM in his system and  you get to a POST screen, the chances are good that the CPU is OK. You will need to test the RAM to be sure that there are no damaged chips. That is why the first thing to do will be to have the memtest program set and ready to load if the system boots. I hope that it will POST.

IF the CPU is toast than you may get beep codes or nothing at all..the MB may not even power up. IF  the CPU isGOOD then the only way to be sure of the RAM is by testing it.

how do i use memtest? is it an application within windows or is it a separate thing?

On a Windows 7 install you can access the Microsoft memtest program by hitting the F5 key right after you hear the single POST beep..or when your splash screen ends. The other memtest program is a separate stand alone program which will not require any OS. The separate memtest program has a number of benefits which make it a more desirable test to do (more in depth,longer testing,no OS or HDD required) If you can download it and burn the .ISO to a DVD/CD or USB stick than that is the one I would recommend you use. Follow the instruction found on the website .You  should run the test for a minimum of 3 passes.

Alright. Oh yeah one other question. My friends motherboard uses a 8 pin power connector for the CPU but the power supply I have (aka my sisters power a supply) only has a 4 pin connector. What can I do about that?

You can still use the 4 pin..it will fit into the 8 pin socket

Alright. Oh yeah one other question. My friends motherboard uses a 8 pin power connector for the CPU but the power supply I have (aka my sisters power a supply) only has a 4 pin connector. What can I do about that?

It'll work with no issues.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Dear god, this was such a good read. I had moments of sadness and joy when I read this thread... it's like... Game of Thrones... but better!!! It had all the ingredients for a great book: horrific events of water spilling on a mobo, hope for the survival of his PC, backstabbing PSU but the forces united and the rest remained unharmed... or something

Dear god, this was such a good read. I had moments of sadness and joy when I read this thread... it's like... Game of Thrones... but better!!! It had all the ingredients for a great book: horrific events of water spilling on a mobo, hope for the survival of his PC, backstabbing PSU but the forces united and the rest remained unharmed... or something

LOL try being in the situation. one heck of a rollercoaster of feelings. wasn't crying over my computer or anything but dang man can't believe something so small caused so much hassle

How did you make out with the CPU and DIMM check?

How did you make out with the CPU and DIMM check?

i didn't the motherboard yet. my friend said he'll drop it off but he hasn't yet so ill just have to wait till that happens. will i damage the board if i use a crappy 250watt PSU with a 20pin power connector and 4 pin cpu connector on a 24pin powered motherboard and 8 pin CPU connector?

i didn't the motherboard yet. my friend said he'll drop it off but he hasn't yet so ill just have to wait till that happens. will i damage the board if i use a crappy 250watt PSU with a 20pin power connector and 4 pin cpu connector on a 24pin powered motherboard and 8 pin CPU connector?

will there be a gpu in? and what cpu?

will there be a gpu in? and what cpu?

NOPE, only thing ill be testing is my i3 2130 and ram

NOPE, only thing ill be testing is my i3 2130 and ram

You should be fine.