should I wait for windows 10

symmetric8

I have been contemplating building a computer for quite a while now but am not sure if I should do it now or wait for something like windows 10. right now Im just going on "Patience is a virtue good things come to those who wait". Windows 10 might not be the best thing to wait for. do you think I should wait for something else to come out or just build a computer now for the Holidays using Windows 7 or 8?

Uh, didn't 8.1 get a free upgrade to win 10? If that was true why wait?

Wait 8.1 users get a free upgrade to 10? Hell yes.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

There is a topic and 5 reposts about it on the news section. Unless a mod has merged/deleted them.

I never saw the thread at all. Now I just found this out??

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hmm, I never heard this? Would love to see the confirmed claim from Microsoft. I googled a bit but found nothing.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Hmm, I never heard this? Would love to see the confirmed claim from Microsoft. I googled a bit but found nothing.

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/10/windows-10-will-free-personal-users%E2%80%8F/

Are you sure Googled?  

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Wait...so it's free for "all consumers"? What does this really mean. So is it like if you are building a new PC you have to buy windows 10, but if you own a current PC with a windows OS you can just upgrade for free?

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Wait...so it's free for "all consumers"? What does this really mean. So is it like if you are building a new PC you have to buy windows 10, but if you own a current PC with a windows OS you can just upgrade for free?

As far as I am aware, it should be the later (I should have clarified in my earlier post); if you're a student or work for anyone who has affiliations with DreamSpark, you can get Windows, Office, etc. for free :) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

As far as I am aware, it should be the later (I should have clarified in my earlier post); if you're a student or work for anyone who has affiliations with DreamSpark, you can get Windows, Office, etc. for free :)

Is this stuff you're talking about taking place at a later date?  I'm a student, and building another PC soonish. I can get windows for about $50 with student discount but I didn't hear anything about Windows/Office free, cause I will need office as well.

You could use W7 for a bit but not activate it for a while until you run out. There are ways of extending the limitation on W7 for around 120 days or so.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

As someone who has various forms of Dreamspark accounts, and still has his .edu address from his college days, I can say with 100% confidence that what you said is incorrect.

Dreamspark DOES NOT give out free copies of Windows or Office to normal students. You can get a lot of things free, like Visual Studio and a bunch of other coding tools, typically some really old versions of Windows Server, Microsoft SQL, and quite a few other things. However, windows and office are not on this list. As a student you can qualify for large discounts on software though, typically it knocks Office Pro down to about $100 and the Windows deals vary widely by time of year.

If you are a computer science major, like I was, you typically get access to slightly more stuff. With this access you can get Windows 7/8/8.1 for free. You also get access to newer and higher end server OS's like Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. You still don't get office for free though.

load up your fav linux distro untill 10 is out, or just copy your old windows to the new pc...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

As someone who has various forms of Dreamspark accounts, and still has his .edu address from his college days, I can say with 100% confidence that what you said is incorrect.

Dreamspark DOES NOT give out free copies of Windows or Office to normal students. You can get a lot of things free, like Visual Studio and a bunch of other coding tools, typically some really old versions of Windows Server, Microsoft SQL, and quite a few other things. However, windows and office are not on this list. As a student you can qualify for large discounts on software though, typically it knocks Office Pro down to about $100 and the Windows deals vary widely by time of year.

If you are a computer science major, like I was, you typically get access to slightly more stuff. With this access you can get Windows 7/8/8.1 for free. You also get access to newer and higher end server OS's like Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. You still don't get office for free though.

Weird.... I got Office and Windows for free via DreamSpark, it may be due to the contract my university has with M$

Wait 8.1 users get a free upgrade to 10? Hell yes.

This is a rumour only. Not confirmed as of yet.

And if it is true it is only available to Windows 8 users (well, as the rumour goes).

While Microsoft hasn’t officially announced any details about the pricing or whether it will be available for free, there has been buzz about the OS coming as a free upgrade to Windows 8 users. Unlike other OSes, Microsoft’s OS has always come with a price tag. However, looks like the company is ready for change. It did set a precedent by offering the Windows 8.1 upgrade for free, something it has never done before.

According to the Indonesian news site Detik.co,  Andreas Diantoro, the president of Microsoft Indonesia had ‘confirmed’ that ‘Windows 9′ (now named Windows 10) will be a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users. So we know that Microsoft has at least considered that as an option.

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/can-microsoft-offer-windows-10-as-a-free-update-to-windows-8-236371.html

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700