Generic Mac Pro 2013 chatter.

Giac

Yeah, I don't think it actually looks that bad. I'd be interested to see what kind of heat levels are being blown out the top though. That CPU is gonna have a TDP of 130W or so, plus whatever the GPUs are putting out...

Well it doesn't look airflow optimized that's for sure, and I seriously doubt that it will have water cooling, I'm guessing it's gonna be hot as hell. 

its brilliant in my opinion, honestly i can say the did inovate and i wont be suprised that other companise will do this same thing to make powerful pcs smaller and who cares if upgradeable.... the target demographic for these wont even upgrade or even know how too 

well I would be careful with that word inovate. Apple is a recipe company, they actually don't invent and inovate, just make new recipes. But that's just  my opinion, though.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Well it doesn't look airflow optimized that's for sure, and I seriously doubt that it will have water cooling, I'm guessing it's gonna be hot as hell. 

well I would be careful with that word inovate. Apple is a recipe company, they actually don't invent and inovate, just make new recipes. But that's just  my opinion, though.

when have you seen a uniheatsink on a pc? and im sure some other company has invinted the uniheatsink on some device but not on a workstation grade desktop, if thats not inovation i dont know what is

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

when have you seen a uniheatsink on a pc? and im sure some other company has invinted the uniheatsink on some device but not on a workstation grade desktop, if thats not inovation i dont know what is

I've seen all-in-one PCs with dedicated GPUs and i7s which are all cooled by a single heatpipe-based heatsink which is then cooled by a single fan elsewhere in the machine... None of them are cylindrical ofc, but this kind of cooling is basically what we have in laptops already, only beefed up a bit. It's hardly innovative to take a concept, make it bigger, and then call it something different....

I personally think it's okay, but it's not for the enthusiast. It's for the person who needs a powerhouse where money is no object.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't understand why apple markets this based on teraflops? Surely to appeal to 13 year old apple fan boys they could just give it a big GHz and 128GB's of RAM and it'd be forever hailed by fanboys as an "epic computer that no one can touch."

Look's funky though. 

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

The cpu and ram were on a separate pcb to the motherboard.

Isn't it that way now?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Isn't it that way now?

No. We're still using LGA (sockets) for the time being. Thankfully.

"Thankfully"

Long live real enthusiasts. ;) 

"Don't make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it" | "Didn't you hear? Spartans never die."

-Gaming- FX 8150 @ 4.2GHz, HD 7870 Tahiti LE 2GB @ 1.1GHz, ASRock 990FX Extreme3, 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz, WIndows 10, Custom Watercooled, NZXT Switch 810

-Audio Editing/Mixing- Mac Mini Late 2014, Core i7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2TB Fusion Drive, OSX 10.12 El Captain -Phone- HTC One M7 32GB

I get what you're saying now. Never mind.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I've seen all-in-one PCs with dedicated GPUs and i7s which are all cooled by a single heatpipe-based heatsink which is then cooled by a single fan elsewhere in the machine... None of them are cylindrical ofc, but this kind of cooling is basically what we have in laptops already, only beefed up a bit. It's hardly innovative to take a concept, make it bigger, and then call it something different....

oh i forgot, a 230mm (around about) sized blower in a vertically cascaded machine with a unified heatsink has been done on so many laptops.

no company has created a dual gpu unified heatsink system before. gaming laptops use at least 2-3 in their system.

not to mention the system is very compact yet tall(ish). drawing air from bottom and assisting the HUGE blower with natural convection is nothing short than genius. but wait, it's also the first company to create a cylinder type workstation, that seems innovative. i also noticed a dual gpu+cpu unified heatsink... that seems innovative to me.

please. fanboy hate apple more plox.

I don't understand why apple markets this based on teraflops? Surely to appeal to 13 year old apple fan boys they could just give it a big GHz and 128GB's of RAM and it'd be forever hailed by fanboys as an "epic computer that no one can touch."

Look's funky though. 

because media professionals base things on tflop/s. because they need that much.

If you don't like the new Mac Pro you:

- do not understand or appreciate professional working environments

- do not understand or appreciate professional working needs

- do not understand or appreciate professional software

- do not understand or appreciate small component engineering

- are trying to fit in with the 'PC superiority' crowd

- can't afford it and therefore irrationally think it's overpriced

It's an amazing computer.

/thread

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

because media professionals base things on tflop/s. because they need that much.

Missed my point. I get that the pro's know what all this means, I'm talking about all the kids that buy Mac's and scream about how better they are than normal PC's.

Missed my point. I get that the pro's know what all this means, I'm talking about all the kids that buy Mac's and scream about how better they are than normal PC's.

Except they don't? When has Apple ever released computing performance expressed in teraflops about their consumer products?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

If you don't like the new Mac Pro you:

- do not understand or appreciate professional working environments

- do not understand or appreciate professional working needs

- do not understand or appreciate professional software

- do not understand or appreciate small component engineering

- are trying to fit in with the 'PC superiority' crowd

- can't afford it and therefore irrationally think it's overpriced

It's an amazing computer.

/thread

The point still stands that you can, within a somewhat reasonable price range, build a silent, good looking PC that would fit into those criteria, run an OS with lets face it, wider support, and that won't be obsolete in a few years.

Except they don't? When has Apple ever released computing performance expressed in teraflops about their consumer products?

Never, which is exactly my point. Jesus. 

The point still stands that you can, within a somewhat reasonable price range, build a silent, good looking PC that would fit into those criteria, run an OS with lets face it, wider support, and that won't be obsolete in a few years.

Cool, but the Mac Pro is aimed at Pro's, and pro's don't do that.

But you said 'kid's' who think Mac's are better use teraflops as an argument. Now you're saying they don't?

Pro's don't do what? Have a need for extreme performance computing and subtle looks at a price that won't smash the company account?

This is not a general consumer product. It's made for professionals that need productivity power.

But you said 'kid's' who think Mac's are better use teraflops as an argument. Now you're saying they don't?

No my point was that kids use GHz and Gb's of RAM as arguments. eg "My new laptop is 8GB's fast". It happens. 

"In technology, an improvement to something already existing". that is part of the webster definition of innovation, 

source http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Pro's don't do what? Have a need for extreme performance computing and subtle looks at a price that won't smash the company account?

The thousands of firms who use pre-built workstations do it for a reason. If building PC's was a better option for them, they'd do it, but they don't. Keep in mind the Mac Pro isn't the only pre-built workstation in the world - Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. Refer to my 'do not understand or appreciate professional working environments' point.

This is not a general consumer product. It's made for professionals that need productivity power.

omg I know, I was saying that they could sell it to that other crowd if they just put that "GHz and RAM" into their advertising

The thousands of firms who use pre-built workstations do it for a reason. If building PC's was a better option for them, they'd do it, but they don't. Keep in mind the Mac Pro isn't the only pre-built workstation in the world - Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. Refer to my 'do not understand or appreciate professional working environments' point.

When I was talking about the PC argument, I was referring to it (PC) as buying a pre built system, I wasn't suggesting that they should self build, anyone would know that's not really viable for most mainstream businesses. 

My whole argument in that field was based on the fact that apple products have tended to be hilariously overpriced for what they offer compared to competitors. I'm not that well versed in business computing, but I'm fairly sure that the same argument could be used in this field when compared to other pre built workstation sellers.