Good 750w PSU (Preferably under $100?)

mgsstar

I bought a wattage measuring device which showed the current wattage, the peak wattage and some other cool functions.

To find your peek you could get the max power consumption of each component and add them to make a total, or use something like this (not so accurate): http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp . As for good power supply, two under a hundred are: The corsair TX750 at $99 (after rebates) http://bit.ly/X4MY1n and the XFX PRO750W, although I would recommend the Corsair one.

Adding all of the maximum power consumption for each component is not still accurate compared to actually measuring it.

Same thing really' date=' I still stand by my Seasonic MI2II recommendation though. Seasonic PSU's are legendary. NOTE: XFX and Corsair PSUs are built by Seasonic. [/quote']

From what I heard, the new i Series PSU are not Seasonic anymore - but not sure who they OEMing them from...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

700/750 is overkill. I like the Seasonic 600 recommendation, or most any Corsair that is in your budget. One thing about Corsair - majority of their units also are single 12V rails, which is also a big plus.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

@Whaler, Seasonic don't have any i series power supplies, only G, M, S, X and XP.

At that price, you'll be hard-pressed to find a gold certified power supply. Bronze is more feasible, though.

HOWEVER, stretch your budget only $10 and you can probably get a Roseewill 80+ Gold 750W -- assuming Newegg can ship to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073

If not, your only other bet is another $30 for a Corsair HX750, 80+ Gold.

These are my recommendations, though if you want to stick with Bronze that is of course up to you.

Silverstone Strider Plus - fully modular, 80+ Silver - runs between $100-$150 for the 600-850w

@Dim, a Rosewill power supply probably isn't the best choice.

SeaSonic makes all their own power supplies. However, XFX power supplies are also made by Seasonic and they are generally cheaper.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1366

It isn't modular though.

Main PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNsFVY

Secondary PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7sv7xY

Former Intel Response Squad Member, May Class.

Member of the LTT Forums since January 3rd, 2013.

Just used the asus power supply calc and it said i needed a minimum of 700w of psu?

That's a huge overestimation really, a 500w unit would be more than enough with a rig like that, unless you plan on making huge upgrades to your system in the future. Provided you choose a reliable unit, there's really not much need for having headroom, especially since power consumption of most components are going down these days.

As for a specific unit, I'd recommend the Seasonic G-series 550w, assuming you are talking in USD that seems to be the best value unit you can really get around that price range.

Correction: VX550' date=' TX750 & 850, HX1000 are CWT (another OEM). The rest are Seasonic.[/size']

Actually, most of Corsair's power supplies are manufactured by CWT, which included the CX-V2, CX-M, TX-M and HX series. The only units manufactured by Seasonic are the TX V2 (rebranded S12II) and AX series (rebranded KM3) (AX-i are produced by Flextronics).

I got a seasonic x750 for 99 on sale, from what ive seen they go on sale alot

I got a seasonic x750 for 99 on sale' date=' from what ive seen they go on sale alot[/quote']

Wow, that's a great price for that.

I got a seasonic x750 for 99 on sale' date=' from what ive seen they go on sale alot[/quote']

From where? in Canada?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So a decent 650w-700w psu is all i need to run my computer for lots of years? unless i am expanding i dont need a 750w psu?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Even if you expand with extra hard drives, fans etc the 650W power supply would still fine.