Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 vs Intel core 4770k

samosnik
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

I wont overclock it. So i thing i might go for the xeon then?

yes if you don't have any intentions of overclocking it then yes defenetly the 1231v3

So i am building a Linux server. But what cpu should i go for?  Thanks!

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

For server I would go with Xeon. Don't know how they work on linux though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I've had a little linux server running for 102 days now. it has a i3. Works smooth hasn't failed me yet. But there must be a reason that so many people go Xeon for there servers.

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

I've had a little linux server running for 102 days now. it has a i3. Works smooth hasn't failed me yet. But there must be a reason that so many people go Xeon for there servers.

so many people use Xeons. because its ment to be used 24/7 . the 4770k (you should pick the 4790k though)  is ment for more like a customer user. and its overclockable

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

so many people use Xeons. because its ment to be used 24/7 . the 4770k (you should pick the 4790k though)  is ment for more like a customer user. and its overclockable

Xeon E3 that cost somewhere in the i5 to i7 range are just like i7 processors without GPU and overclocking.

They also have some other features - ECC Memory support, ...

Most boards made for i7 support these Xeons - but to be sure, check processor compatibility of the motherboard (BIOS needs to support them, most of them do support them anyway).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (mATX) RAM : 3GB GPU : Asus Radeon HD 4670 Case : Generic mATX Case Storage: Crucial M500 240 GB & WD Blue 500GB PSU: 420W

yes if you don't have any intentions of overclocking it then yes defenetly the 1231v3

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Xeon E3 that cost somewhere in the i5 to i7 range are just like i7 processors without GPU and overclocking.

They also have some other features - ECC Memory support, ...

Most boards made for i7 support these Xeons - but to be sure, check processor compatibility of the motherboard (BIOS needs to support them, most of them do support them anyway).

Thanks guys! <3

yes. if you don't plan on overclocking it. id get the xeon. though ifyou don't put such a heavy load on it (depending on what you do) you might want to get the 4770 or 4790k. for futur use (gaming)

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

yes. if you don't plan on overclocking it. id get the xeon. though ifyou don't put such a heavy load on it (depending on what you do) you might want to get the 4770 or 4790k. for futur use (gaming)

E3 1231 is basically an i7 without GPU and OC. i7 won't perform better in gaming.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (mATX) RAM : 3GB GPU : Asus Radeon HD 4670 Case : Generic mATX Case Storage: Crucial M500 240 GB & WD Blue 500GB PSU: 420W

E3 1231 is basically an i7 without GPU and OC. i7 won't perform better in gamining.

so. you asaying I should have bought a xeon for gaming ? im not exacly agreeing on that point

so. you asaying I should have bought a xeon for gaming ? im not exacly agreeing on that point

he's right they are the same CPU, the main difference is that the xeon won't carry the onboard graphics (needless when using a graphics cards)

They perform the same in games as well as in pretty much anything else.

The xeon 1231v3 consumes a couple less watts and runs slightly cooler (having it's IGP disabled) and often cost less than the i7-4790.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm only saying it won't perform BETTER at stock clocks, they would perform same. But you can OC iú, but you can't OC Xeon.

Xeon doesn't have GPU, so if your AMD/Nvidia GPU dies and you have no replacement - well, you can't use your PC.

Xeon has some extra specific features (ECC Memory support, extra instructions...).

Overall stock performance is the same as an i7.

he's right they are the same CPU, the main difference is that the xeon won't carry the onboard graphics (needless when using a graphics cards)

They perform the same in games as well as in pretty much anything else.

The xeon 1231v3 consumes a couple less watts and runs slightly cooler (having it's IGP disabled) and often cost less than the i7-4790.

not where I live. and id rather have overclocking capabilities for heavy loads

yes, but in this case the OP is gonna use the CPU in a server (always good to have lower power consumption from a part that will be working 24/7) the xeon are also picked as better/more efficient chips than the i7 counterpart so it's likely to save some dollars in bills over time as well. Overclocking is not even an option here.

If you live in Canada Xeon is cheaper than i7 (but not all of them, usually those with lower base clocks).

Also, we're talking about Xeon E3 (specifically E3 1231), not Xeon E5.

i7, cuz oc and the hd graphics are good enough for a server

Thanks guys! <3

With a Xeon, you need a standalone GPU, as it doesn't have onboard GPU. But a very cheap card is going to be enough for a server :D

With a Xeon, you need a standalone GPU, as it doesn't have onboard GPU. But a very cheap card is going to be enough for a server :D

probably it will automatically show you a resoltuion of 6xx times 4xx something. Cuz when I took out the GPU from our Athlon 760K and connected the display to the mobo, the pc booted with a low resolution and you could use it still although the athlon ''has no integrated graphics''

probably it will automatically show you a resoltuion of 6xx times 4xx something. Cuz when I took out the GPU from our Athlon 760K and connected the display to the mobo, the pc booted with a low resolution and you could use it still although the athlon ''has no integrated graphics''

That's interesting. I would like someone to try this.

well actually it wasnt this athlon, it was our old athlon 645