On-Ear semi Audiophile on a bugdet, help to choosing.

ibbadib

Hello there,

I enjoy nice audio and at my desktop I have a pair of JVC HA-RX700, which I find awesome. But they are so big I can't carry them around with me.

Therefore:

I am hunting for a pair of quality On-ear headphones around the price of 100-180USD.

I listen to all kinds of Rock genres, but mostly on the heavier side; Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Papa Roach, Stonesour and Skillet, where the guitar and vocals are crucial.

But also more old school bands like Queen where pianos are important. I also enjoy bands like Apocalytica where many songs don't even feature singers, so cellos and violins are in focus. I also like several bands with female singers, where they reach higher notes than the men, and would like them to be clear and not drowned out by bass.

I don't have an amp/DAC simply becuase it is too expensive.

I wan't these headphones to be portable (on-ears, not in ears), as I will be bringing them to school by train everyday.

Thus far I have been doing a lot of research but it only seems to make it harder for me.

Anyway, I have a couple of choices in my price range:

Sennheiser Momentums, which have been falling a lot in price lately (in Denmark at least). And are not foldable, but man are they beautiful.

AKG Y50, they get mixed reviews though.

Phillips Fidelio M1MKII, a tad too expensive though.

Which of above would be best for me do you guys think?

If any of you have any other/better suggestions I would be happy:-)

The momentum is certainly not a bad buy especially if you want something that looks good and sounds good but if you are OK with something that looks a little more utilitarian a sennheiser amperior would be a better buy they are one of the best sounding on ears you can buy although they have been replaced by the HD 25 aluminum that costs 300$ which is pretty much exactly the same headphone. you can still find the amperior for less than 190$ which is pretty much a steal

Been using my MOE's a lot the past few days and have fallen in love all over again. Especially once you break in the pads, they're just kinda amazing.

although they have been replaced by the HD 25 aluminum that costs 300$

That is simply not true - the HD 25 and 25 II were around before the MOE. The HD 25 Aluminum is merely an anniversary edition.

Been using my MOE's a lot the past few days and have fallen in love all over again. Especially once you break in the pads, they're just kinda amazing.

That is simply not true - the HD 25 and 25 II were around before the MOE. The HD 25 Aluminum is merely an anniversary edition.

I dont quite get where you ar going with this when did age ever matter in headphones ? I mean the moe is great little headphone but it is more tailored to the fashion crowd rather than the HD 25s and the amperior which are more for professionals hence why they are so popular with DJs and the hd25 do look and sound very similar to the amperior, and aluminum ear cups help reduce the noise which was present in the hd25/25ii due to having plastic ear cups

for a headphone to stay in the market for decades is a testament to how great those headphones where in the first place 

The momentum is certainly not a bad buy especially if you want something that looks good and sounds good but if you are OK with something that looks a little more utilitarian a sennheiser amperior would be a better buy they are one of the best sounding on ears you can buy although they have been replaced by the HD 25 aluminum that costs 300$ which is pretty much exactly the same headphone. you can still find the amperior for less than 190$ which is pretty much a steal

The amperior too expensive here in Denmark. More than twice the price of the momentums. But looks is not the most important factor for me. Sound>portability>looks.

Can I ask why you don't want IEMs?

I tend to loose them. And I never had On ears, and want to give them a go.

MOE's? Edit: figures it Means momentums :rolleyes:

100th post BTW :-)

MOE's? Edit: figures it Means momentums :rolleyes:   100th post BTW :-)

MOE = lingo for Momentum On-Ear

It could easily stand for the over-ear as well, but they're simply known as the Momentum as the on-ear were released a few months afterwards.

MOE = lingo for Momentum On-Ear

It could easily stand for the over-ear as well, but they're simply known as the Momentum as the on-ear were released a few months afterwards.

Yes thank you :-).

I think I Will wait and see if Amazon.UK get some good deals on Black Friday :-).

I'm using the momentum over ears for my portable needs. Sound very good compared to other nice looking, portable cans and are super comfortable and light. I'd recommend getting a different cable if you don't plan to use the remote since it's a little too flmisy for me. I made my own using some neutrik jacks and spare Van Damn cable I had laying around (had to order the one that goes in the cans separately) but you can get premade ones on ebay using the same parts. I didn't do that for sound, I did it for build - the cables that come with them feel too thin for me but I guess that's preference.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

I'm using the momentum over ears for my portable needs. Sound very good compared to other nice looking, portable cans and are super comfortable and light. I'd recommend getting a different cable if you don't plan to use the remote since it's a little too flmisy for me. I made my own using some neutrik jacks and spare Van Damn cable I had laying around (had to order the one that goes in the cans separately) but you can get premade ones on ebay using the same parts. I didn't do that for sound, I did it for build - the cables that come with them feel too thin for me but I guess that's preference.

Thank you dude:-)

I just found the beyerdynamic T51i/p. Are they as awesome as whathifi reviewed Them to?

http://www.whathifi.com/beyerdynamic/t51i/review

Edit: I found the HD 25. Those are THE best on-ears right?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-Edition-Headphone-headband/dp/B00009ZSYG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416302029&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser+amperior

And if Black friday make them cheap enough, I might buy them. :-)

Edit 2: I found the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II, only 1/8 more expensive than the MOEs in Denmark. Are those any different than the link above ?

Here's some graph tools to play with: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=513&graphID[]=4193&graphID[]=523&scale=30

Despite the difference, the on ear and over ear Momentums sound pretty close - mostly just more mids on the over ear. Beyerdynamics have a particularly sibilant treble generally. Haven't heard any HD25 variants but it's supposed to be good for DJ'ing or other live mixing (wouldn't really recommend it for listening)

Here's some graph tools to play with: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=513&graphID[]=4193&graphID[]=523&scale=30

Despite the difference, the on ear and over ear Momentums sound pretty close - mostly just more mids on the over ear. Beyerdynamics have a particularly sibilant treble generally. Haven't heard any HD25 variants but it's supposed to be good for DJ'ing or other live mixing (wouldn't really recommend it for listening)

Based on what information I could find the HD 25's were made for analytical sound monitoring. To give you an accurate sound, which would be very good for listening?

What is that graph good for? I do understand what it means, but it do not tell if the sound is good or accurate, right?

@ShearMe

Based on what information I could find the HD 25's were made for analytical sound monitoring. To give you an accurate sound, which would be very good for listening?

What is that graph good for? I do understand what it means, but it do not tell if the sound is good or accurate, right?

@ShearMe

I might come off as confused or something... Anyway I saw Tek Syndicate's video about headphones and they mentioned the CHC Silverado, then I read your review and you said the sound was "Fucking fantastic" ;-). Plus I think they look awesome.

They are not On-ears, but they are durable, which have been my problem with portable over ears, so I might buy them instead.

And they're about 20% cheaper than the MOE's. Even though I have to buy through Amazon.co.uk

I might come off as confused or something... Anyway I saw Tek Syndicate's video about headphones and they mentioned the CHC Silverado, then I read your review and you said the sound was "Fucking fantastic" ;-). Plus I think they look awesome.

They are not On-ears, but they are durable, which have been my problem with portable over ears, so I might buy them instead.

And they're about 20% cheaper than the MOE's. Even though I have to buy through Amazon.co.uk

They definitely have a colored sound, with emphasis in the bass and lower mids, plus those reverb chambers pick up geetars like no other. So, if you're going for teh accuracy audiofeelz expuriance, they kinda suck. If you're open to trying your favorite music in a new and fun way, they're great.

Also I didn't know they were on sale on amazon.co.uk or I'd've recommended them sooner - I typed it out and everything before noticing the "Denmark" under your name.

They definitely have a colored sound, with emphasis in the bass and lower mids, plus those reverb chambers pick up geetars like no other. So, if you're going for teh accuracy audiofeelz expuriance, they kinda suck. If you're open to trying your favorite music in a new and fun way, they're great.

Also I didn't know they were on sale on amazon.co.uk or I'd've recommended them sooner - I typed it out and everything before noticing the "Denmark" under your name.

No problem dude.

I wait Till Black friday, and see whatever gives me the best price/performance. :-)

Yeah, so I contacted Amzon.co.uk, to make sure the CHC's would not be shipped from the USA, but sadly they would. That means I would have to pay Danish tax+VAT on top the total price for the headphone+shipping. Which would make the headphone stupid expensive (as expensive as the MOE's)... Soooo they are probably not an option.

Edit: Realized they are only 50$ on Amazon.com, and since the tax I would be paying is the same, they are still really cheap.

Prices if you're interrested.

MOE's=900 DKK with taxes

HD 25=1300 DKK with taxes

CHC Silverado premium = 550 DKK with taxes.

Yeah, so I contacted Amzon.co.uk, to make sure the CHC's would not be shipped from the USA, but sadly they would. That means I would have to pay Danish tax+VAT on top the total price for the headphone+shipping. Which would make the headphone stupid expensive (as expensive as the MOE's)... Soooo they are probably not an option.

Edit: Realized they are only 50$ on Amazon.com, and since the tax I would be paying is the same, they are still really cheap.

Prices if you're interrested.

MOE's=900 DKK with taxes

HD 25=1300 DKK with taxes

CHC Silverado premium = 550 DKK with taxes.

Well what's 350 DKK worth? If it's anything equal to or more than a decent date night I'd vote Silverados. They do isolate way more than the MOE which I assume is a good thing for portable use.

Well what's 350 DKK worth? If it's anything equal to or more than a decent date night I'd vote Silverados. They do isolate way more than the MOE which I assume is a good thing for portable use.

I wrote 550 DKK.

It's a little more than running Sushi for two with a large coke for each ;-). So about the same as a decent date night with the GF :-).

And yes isolation is good when going by train. :-)

I wrote 550 DKK.

It's a little more than running Sushi for two with a large coke for each ;-). So about the same as a decent date night with the GF :-).

And yes isolation is good when going by train. :-)

350 is the cash you have left if you buy the Silverado's instead of the MOE, in case you didn't understand

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

350 is the cash you have left if you buy the Silverado's instead of the MOE, in case you didn't understand

Oh... Yeah I did not understand. Derp.

But Amazon.com cant send the headphone to Denmark, so it is the same.

I have just now bought the CHC silverado's on Amazon.co.uk for a total of 69£. And my brother said he wanted to buy my JVC's :-).

It ended up being more expensive than Amazon.com, but they don't send to Denmark.

Thank you to everyone that helped me choose :-)

Fun fact. The price just rose from 59£ to 89£. That makes me happy I bought them yesterday. :-)