Connecting LEDs via 3 pin on mobo?

rentaspoon

Is this possible? I can't see why not but am wondering if anyone has tried, if not via a phanteks fan hub?

they can work but dont draw too much current from them

My mobo supports 30w per header

If you get decent LEDs then they will only draw 12v (same as fans at full speed).

Most LEDs I make and sell on my store uses 3pin fan connectors and you can connect them to any place that accepts fans. If you use a 3pin fan connector for the leds you can connect them to fan controllers and use that to adjust the brightness.

You can also use a 4pin molex.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

If you get decent LEDs then they will only draw 12v (same as fans at full speed).

Most LEDs I make and sell on my store uses 3pin fan connectors and you can connect them to any place that accepts fans. If you use a 3pin fan connector for the leds you can connect them to fan controllers and use that to adjust the brightness.

You can also use a 4pin molex.

Addoncustoms dot com by any chance?

Molex isn't a choice as I don't have one and I only have a few sata connections.

I'm doing multiple colours so I want the to fade with the fans so it makes sense to use the header

Addoncustoms dot com by any chance?

Molex isn't a choice as I don't have one and I only have a few sata connections.

I'm doing multiple colours so I want the to fade with the fans so it makes sense to use the header

Yes, Addon Customs is my store.

3pin fan connectors are the most popular choice, with around 95% of customers going for 3pin instead of the 4pin molex.

Unfortunately the LEDs cannot be controlled by the motherboard, LEDs connect via Ground and 12v wires, and for the motherboard to control the LEDs it would require Ground, Yellow, Red and Blue as the motherboard puts out the voltage it gets given. Fan controllers take the power it gets given and then controls what the fans/leds get via single power wire, you can then adjust how much power they get.

I have never seen a LED strip get controlled by a motherboard.

Not sure how the phanteks fan hub works but I will look into it.

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Yes, Addon Customs is my store.

3pin fan connectors are the most popular choice, with around 95% of customers going for 3pin instead of the 4pin molex.

Unfortunately the LEDs cannot be controlled by the motherboard, LEDs connect via Ground and 12v wires, and for the motherboard to control the LEDs it would require Ground, Yellow, Red and Blue as the motherboard puts out the voltage it gets given. Fan controllers take the power it gets given and then controls what the fans/leds get via single power wire, you can then adjust how much power they get.

I have never seen a LED strip get controlled by a motherboard.

Not sure how the phanteks fan hub works but I will look into it.

Yes via PWM. 3 pin one adds the tacho as a 3rd wire and still controls via voltage, using a y adapter on a voltage controlled header, I can use a fan to give the tacho reading and draw power to the LEDs

...in theory

Yes via PWM. 3 pin one adds the tacho as a 3rd wire and still controls via voltage, using a y adapter on a voltage controlled header, I can use a fan to give the tacho reading and draw power to the LEDs

...in theory

It could, and thinking about it, that is something I would love to test, but currently not in a position to test it. I will see if I can get a hold of some parts to build a test system, not sure when I will be able to test this though... Once I do I will let you know.

Addon Customs -

It could, and thinking about it, that is something I would love to test, but currently not in a position to test it. I will see if I can get a hold of some parts to build a test system, not sure when I will be able to test this though... Once I do I will let you know.

Well if you end up marketing the idea make sure you credit me for it ;) , I may buy some LEDs of your site once my CPU cooler comes so I will update you on how it goes, it just depends on if I get my next batch of PC builds to do and I might have to resort to a 5m roll.