Moving Raid 1 (intel/Windows) from PC to Nas (Linux)

Loohi

Hey guys,

I have bought a Nas (Qnap Ts-251) and am planning on moving my Raid 1 (2 HDD) to this new Nas (keeping Raid 1)

To your knowledge,will I lose the data when moving the raid? :(

If yes, is there a way around it?

Thanks in advance!

Software raid or using a raid controller?

Either way I would recommend backing everything on the raid up to another hard drive and then just restoring it

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

Software raid or using a raid controller?

Either way I would recommend backing everything on the raid up to another hard drive and then just restoring it

Software Raid.

I agree, would most likely backup whatever I can on another hard drive.

The other option that I thought about was to only install 1 hard drive first, create a new volume. If it gets formatted, then use the second hard drive to copy the files back on it, and then "expand" the volume with the other hard drive?

Again, most likely safer to back up the data before trying this stuff out anyway I guess

Software Raid.

I agree, would most likely backup whatever I can on another hard drive.

The other option that I thought about was to only install 1 hard drive first, create a new volume. If it gets formatted, then use the second hard drive to copy the files back on it, and then "expand" the volume with the other hard drive?

Again, most likely safer to back up the data before trying this stuff out anyway I guess

Could do that, but then you get risk loosing it aswell when you expand the raid as this can corrupt files

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

Could do that, but then you get risk loosing it aswell when you expand the raid as this can corrupt files

Yeah :( FYI, NAS is the DS-213j by Synology.

Yeah :( FYI, NAS is the DS-213j by Synology.

Yeah id just back it all up and give it a shot, if it dosnt transfer just restore :)