Ordering parts for a new trading PC build - I'd appreciate some opinions

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to build a PC. I did some chatting with someone to get their thoughts on the build and this is what we came up with: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/CR147/saved/CjFCmG

The computer will mainly be used for trading stocks. Day to day use will consist of having multiple programs such as ThinkOrSwim running many live charts, as well as social media feeds, video feeds, chat rooms, web browsers (with many tabs open), and other various programs; so there's lot's of multitasking involved and it needs to be able to run all of this without lagging. It will also need to be able to support multiple monitors as I will be using 4, 27", 1440p monitors. Speed and reliability is very important for this machine, it needs to be fast. I will also be doing light video editing on it, using software such as After Effects and Premier Pro.

So far I've got the monitors (3x ASUS PB278Q & 1x Apple cinema display), and I've got the keyboard/mouse/OS (Win7), the actual PC is all that I need at this point. My budget is around $1500 for the actual computer, and I'm located in BC Canada. Also, I don't really know anything about overclocking so I wasn't planning on doing this.

This'll be my first build and I'm pretty new to this so I'd just like to get another opinion and if you think it'd be the best for my budget/use. I greatly appreciate any insight/opinions on this as I'm ready to order all of the parts and put it together.

Thanks!

Xeon has to go.. Intel is smoking crack if they think 300mhz is worth $100. You can get the Xeon E3-1230V3 for $250

http://ark.intel.com/compare/80908,75054

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

At that price you might as well buy a 4790k and get better performance than that xeon.

Also buy a cheaper 750W PSU from EVGA.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@MyInnerFred

^ Has experience with it and might give some insight if he's interested (he usually is).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Xeon has to go.. Intel is smoking crack if they think 300mhz is worth $100. You can get the Xeon E3-1230V3 for $250

http://ark.intel.com/compare/80908,75054

Hmm, I really don't know much about this, I'll definitely look into it though!

Edit: The reason he recommended the Xeon was "A high performance Xeon processor provides server level reliability for extended, heavy use to your setup, with 8 threads of Intel power without the frills of overclocking."

At that price you might as well buy a 4790k and get better performance than that xeon.

Also buy a cheaper 750W PSU from EVGA.

I see the i7-4790k is about the same price, not really sure the major differences between the two though, I'll definitely look into this! Thanks for the power supply recommendation as well!

Edit: The reason he recommended the Xeon was "A high performance Xeon processor provides server level reliability for extended, heavy use to your setup, with 8 threads of Intel power without the frills of overclocking."

@MyInnerFred

^ Has experience with it and might give some insight if he's interested (he usually is).

Awesome, thanks for letting me know; any help I can get is appreciated at this point! :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.89 @ DirectCanada) 

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($141.99 @ NCIX) 

Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($163.91 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($115.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($379.99 @ Memory Express) 

Case: NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ NCIX) 

Case Fan: Zalman F3 (SF) 120mm  Fan  ($0.01 @ NCIX) 

Total: $1437.71

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 02:46 EST-0500

$80 less than your spec, but it has more sex appeal. And it's Blue and Black themed. Red and Black themes are for wankers!

Any 8 core processor should do fine here, what you definitely want is a SSD and more than 16gbs of ram to handle all your monitoring programs and in my case browser tabs....

JLDXsfl.png

Definitely make sure you have a 2ndary system like a laptop or something to trade on in case your main set up goes down. Having something like that prepared has saved me lots of times... 

ThinkorSwim is pretty nice love the scanners and lvl 2 data. I plan on migrating from scottrade to it eventually. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I believe an i7-5820K is a better choice for this usage than an i7-4790K. The extra cores will make the system much more responsive. It is fairly difficult to load this level of cpu to the point that the ui starts to lag.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($419.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($76.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($246.61 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($232.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($299.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Full Tower Case  ($44.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1569.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 03:01 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.