Intel Skylake-S CPUs to support new LGA 1151 socket

Intel’s upcoming Skylake-S 14nm CPUs are set to replace Intel’s Haswell refresh line some time next year, bringing with it a new socket, chipset and motherboards. The new socket is called LGA 1151 and has just one pin more than Haswell,

The new CPU will support both DDR4 1.2v and DDR3L 1.35V, it will be up to motherboard manufacturers to support one or the other. The chipset that will allow you to overclock the new CPUs is called Z170 and it comes with a 1 x 16 plus 2×8 or 1×8 plus 2×4 PCIe express 3.0 combination.

So what do y'all Think? HAHAH! Will it Dominate the Market? xD Well it supports dd3 and ddr4  :D  :D  :D

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/intel-skylake-s-cpus-to-support-new-lga-1151-socket/

hmm, the top end has 32 pcie lanes?? if so this could be an impressive chip if its meant to be able to utilize them all

if i were amd i would be shitting my pants a little

hmm, the top end has 32 pcie lanes?? if so this could be an impressive chip if its meant to be able to utilize them all

Well that will be a lot more performance xD 

Is that 32 lanes on a skylake CPU that is not enthusiast?

OOOOOH GOD

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Does this mean that they'll abandon broadwell altogether? :(

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Isn't Broadwell supposed to be out before Skylake by the end of this year?

Have a look —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm fine with that of they release Skylake in Q1 2015. :D I need an upgrade.

WHOA THIS IS SO HYPE!!

Seriously though, I haven't been this excited for a CPU launch since Bulldozer, and we all saw how that went...

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

WHOA THIS IS SO HYPE!!

Seriously though, I haven't been this excited for a CPU launch since Bulldozer, and we all saw how that went...

Well, that was hardly surprising. If you code name a CPU architecture "Bulldozer" what can you expect? :P:D

I'm fine with that of they release Skylake in Q1 2015. :D I need an upgrade.

Now I regret getting a Z97 mobo. -.-

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Now I regret getting a Z97 mobo. -.-

Lalala. I was waiting for broadwell to release before I make a cpu/mobo upgrade. :D

there was talk of broadwell staying mobile only (U and M models) while skylake will come to the desktops.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

There was talk of broadwell staying mobile only (U and M models) while skylake will come to the desktops.

Was there? Is Intel following the path of NVIDIA? :D

From a financial point of view it doesn't make any sense to skip broadwell. Intel can only do so many more die shrinks before they are done and skipping broadwell to go straight to skylake kills atleast a full years worth of profits. 

In all likelihood broadwell will come out next summer or fall and skylake will be pushed back until '16

Was there? Is Intel following the path of NVIDIA? :D

well with all the delays of broadwell, its only normal to skip it for desktop consumers, since haswell has been out for quite some time, and went through 2 generations already. its time for something new to be implemented

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Well with all the delays of broadwell, its only normal to skip it for desktop consumers, since haswell has been out for quite some time, and went through 2 generations already. its time for something new to be implemented.

Okay, well that sounds like the logical choice, however, I'm not so sure that it's the right one. I am kinda thinking along simular lines as @bomerr (read his post above). What's your thoughts on that?

It would be kind of interesting if Intel produced a 5GHz base or even turbo clock CPU with Skylake. But whether or not it'll happen, who knows.

This whole dilema is the reason i havent "ascended" .I really hope they just skip broadwell and give skyline out q3 2015. If broadwell is released q1 2015 the dont expect skyline till 2016 which isnt that bad but then again its not compatible with z97 mobos like broadwell and haswell, and its going to be ddr4 so going to broadwell just might be the cheapest upgrade..

Okay, well that sounds like the logical choice, however, I'm not so sure that it's the right one. I am kinda thinking along simular lines as @bomerr (read his post above). What's your thoughts on that?

i agree with him, but its been quite a known rumour for a while that intel are skipping broadwell. dont ask me why, but i dont have a problem with that.

im guessing they either know 10nm will be the last node before they have to switch to new materials/quantum processing, and they want it out fast so they have more time to focus on developing the future, or they are being pressured by big clients to deliver some new technology that skylake will have. (its not always the sales money that is the one you should look at)

i agree with him, but its been quite a known rumour for a while that intel are skipping broadwell. dont ask me why, but i dont have a problem with that.

im guessing they either know 10nm will be the last node before they have to switch to new materials/quantum processing, and they want it out fast so they have more time to focus on developing the future, or they are being pressured by big clients to deliver some new technology that skylake will have. (its not always the sales money that is the one you should look at)

Aah alright. Thanks for the thorough explanation. It all makes logical sense. Gotcha! :)

Aah alright. Thanks for the thorough explanation. It all makes logical sense. Gotcha! :)

it makes sense, but im not saying its the only explanation. its just the best one i can come up with, at this moment.