Intel Skylake-S CPUs to support new LGA 1151 socket

Could anyone explain to me how do you think quantum computing is supposed to replace convecional computing ?

Last time I've had quantum computing classes  , anyone knew that QPU's suck ass when it comes to regular CPU tasks.

Unless there will be a breakthrough in quantum programming , there's no chance that processing unit using only QM will replace CPU's . Hybrids? More likely

Given D-Waves most recent releases, that breakthrough is due in 2020 and you'll be eating those words.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, I was genuinely curious about that because of my work and fact that I don't need that knowledge anymore - I'm not on the latest news about this .

It's like completely redefining computing , revolution that I would like to see in my brief existence ;)

We're certainly approaching the end of FE transistor technology as we know it, as we can only get so small.

I don't see a material change being the answer. I either a new type of transistor technology coming in, or moving away from transistors altogether

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Does this mean that they'll abandon broadwell altogether? :(

Maybe they use NVIDIA strategy?

Let Broadwell for mobile and jump to Skylake on desktop PCs like NVIDIA with 800 series for mobile and 900 for desktop.

It would be kind of interesting if Intel produced a 5GHz base or even turbo clock CPU with Skylake. But whether or not it'll happen, who knows.

I don't think Intel will be pursuing 5Ghz chips solely because it has every other advantage over AMD and that's just more engineering work for diminished returns. We might see the GHz war return when we move to carbon nanotubes for semiconductors. Until then, it's all about vertical and horizontal scaling by feature set, ALU cluster count, and core count, all 3 being things AMD sorely falls behind in. Piledriver still has only 2 ALUs per core vs. Haswell's 4, and Skylake widens the bit width to 512 for a redoubling of parallel processing throughput over Haswell/Broadwell. Broadwell iGPU also has a huge throughput increase according to Anandtech, even though theoretical flops sees only a 20% gain. Furthermore it implements shared virtual memory which will be a huge boon due to not needing to copy info between the CPu and GPU.

Intel has too many advantages to bother with a GHz war against AMD on the CPU side. On the GPU side it still trails, and while it works out those problems it still increases compute power, core count, and other feature sets. Now if only software devs could keep up...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Maybe they use NVIDIA strategy?

Let Broadwell for mobile and jump to Skylake on desktop PCs like NVIDIA with 800 series for mobile and 900 for desktop.

You missed the fact Skylake's release schedule is also inverted, where mobile comes out when the E5 Xeons do instead of coming out first.

Suddenly my 4690k feels a bit lacking....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Now I regret getting a Z97 mobo. -.-

15% IPC improvement over haswell. and you dont gonna notice any advantages. Until the high end Mainstream Lineup is 8-core. i wont sweat it. watch Sandy Bridge against Haswell.

15% IPC improvement over haswell. and you dont gonna notice any advantages. Until the high end Mainstream Lineup is 8-core. i wont sweat it. watch Sandy Bridge against Haswell.

Honestly the only people who need Haswell run Virtual Machines or do scientific computing. I suppose if you want to build iGPU-accelerated apps, then you can't use SandyBridge since it isn't OpenCL-capable, but yeah...

Wait, a whole new socket for 1 more pin? Couldn't they just have put it on an X99 board or something?

Now I regret getting a Z97 mobo. -.-

I agree, it pains me to not have held off just a little while longer.

I could have a 390x and a (probably) 5770k :(

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Wait, a whole new socket for 1 more pin? Couldn't they just have put it on an X99 board or something?

Intel is running with two architectures, one for enthusiasts one for "desktop"

They change the socket every two generations, LGA 1150 had Z87 and Z97, so whatever comes next get's a new socket

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I agree, it pains me to not have held off just a little while longer.

I could have a 390x and a (probably) 5770k :(

They've already said that they'll release broadwell to Z97 right? Why are they pushing skylake first? T-T

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

They've already said that they'll release broadwell to Z97 right? Why are they pushing skylake first? T-T

Intel's wierd, as soon as they settle on something that looks good they change something up

Nice, maybe I can upgrade my 4770k.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Intel is running with two architectures, one for enthusiasts one for "desktop"

They change the socket every two generations, LGA 1150 had Z87 and Z97, so whatever comes next get's a new socket

It just seems a damn shame as z97 just came out you would think that it would be in some way backwards compatible.

I'd prefer it if they worked with every previous generation

Broadwell K lands for enthusiasts alongside Skylake S for academic institutions and businesses. Broadwell-S will not exist. that's how they're handling the overlap to minimize cannibalization of sales.

Broadwell K lands for enthusiasts alongside Skylake S for academic institutions and businesses. Broadwell-S will not exist. that's how they're handling the overlap to minimize cannibalization of sales.

So Broadwell K will be released the same time as Skylake S?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

It just seems a damn shame as z97 just came out you would think that it would be in some way backwards compatible.

I'd prefer it if they worked with every previous generation

In which case you wouldn't get the power consumption and data IO improvements Intel makes with each new socket. Look at AMD's. They're so aged they can't even compete in the server world because AMD doesn't support PCIe 3 for any chips, not even their Opterons, and in heterogeneous computing you can find lots of workloads that saturate the PCIe 3 bus now.

So Broadwell K will be released the same time as Skylake S?

Slightly before. Broadwell K is end of Q1 or beginning of Q2. Skylake is start of Q3.

In which case you wouldn't get the power consumption and data IO improvements Intel makes with each new socket. Look at AMD's. They're so aged they can't even compete in the server world because AMD doesn't support PCIe 3 for any chips, not even their Opterons, and in heterogeneous computing you can find lots of workloads that saturate the PCIe 3 bus now.

I don't mean every previous generation just the last which would help us that upgrade piece by piece rather than by bulk, like add that extra pin for z97 boards but leaving it unused, new architecture comes in, bios update to run it but I'm asking for too much.

As for AMD, I've just switched mobo to have an up to date board then switched to 8350, which was nice to be able to have the choice.

Otherwise I would have gone back to Intel.

Unless this chip is super amazing I'm perfectly fine rockin z77 and my 3770k for another generation...

I don't mean every previous generation just the last which would help us that upgrade piece by piece rather than by bulk, like add that extra pin for z97 boards but leaving it unused, new architecture comes in, bios update to run it but I'm asking for too much.

As for AMD, I've just switched mobo to have an up to date board then switched to 8350, which was nice to be able to have the choice.

Otherwise I would have gone back to Intel.

You forgot Broadwell K comes just before Skylake S. If you want a stronger CPU on Z97, you can get one, but Skylake and Cannonlake will hang out on Z107/117 (assuming the latter).