I want to reinstall Windows but replace 32 bit with 64 bit version without losing all of my data.

ValorZero

What title says, except that I don't want to buy a new hard drive at the moment to carry all my data around.

If it helps I've got good Internet connection with around 150 up and 150 down, mbps.

Dropbox doesn't have enough space to do this.

What title says, except that I don't want to buy a new hard drive at the moment to carry all my data around.

If it helps I've got good Internet connection with around 150 up and 150 down, mbps.

Dropbox doesn't have enough space to do this.

Make partition, transfer files over on that, then reinstall windows on the OS partition, then when you have it installed, transfer those files over and then delete the partition and resize the OS so you get the space back along with the files. 

The old switcheroo!

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

What title says, except that I don't want to buy a new hard drive at the moment to carry all my data around. If it helps I've got good Internet connection with around 150 up and 150 down, mbps. Dropbox doesn't have enough space to do this.

Hmm, I can see the only solution of what I would do.....back up all your files to an external

storage device and do a fresh install. Unfortunately I think that's your only option, sorry :(.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Make partition, transfer files over on that, then reinstall windows on the OS partition, then when you have it installed, transfer those files over and then delete the partition and resize the OS so you get the space back along with the files.

The old switcheroo!

..Why didn't I think of that. Good solution. Thanks a lot.

However the only reservation I have is if there's a difference if I reformat the drive than to do that method.

The old switcheroo!

Damn! I totally forgot about that. Great thinking mate! :D

However the only reservation I have is if there's a difference if I reformat the drive than to do that method.

There's one way to find out. :P:D

..Why didn't I think of that. Good solution. Thanks a lot.

When you go into the windows installer, as you go to re-install the 64bit version, just delete the OS partitions and then say format to un-allocated space. Formatting does not delete the files, it only marks them for deletion. So even after you format something, you can still recover it if you did it by accident. It only says hey, you can use this space as whatever was there before is not being used anymore.  Unless you do a proper clean, which wipes out everything. 

So if you do it the way I outlined, once you "absorb" your data partition back, it will be similar to reformatting it anyway. As you delete the partition and it's marked as un-allocated space, then you can extend your new OS partition onto it. 

Unless I have completely misunderstood what you were trying to say, which I'm sorry I'm slightly ill :/

Damn! I totally forgot about that. Great thinking mate! :D

:) 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

When you go into the windows installer, as you go to re-install the 64bit version, just delete the OS partitions and then say format to un-allocated space. Formatting does not delete the files, it only marks them for deletion. So even after you format something, you can still recover it if you did it by accident. It only says hey, you can use this space as whatever was there before is not being used anymore. Unless you do a proper clean, which wipes out everything.

So if you do it the way I outlined, once you "absorb" your data partition back, it will be similar to reformatting it anyway. As you delete the partition and it's marked as un-allocated space, then you can extend your new OS partition onto it.

Unless I have completely misunderstood what you were trying to say, which I'm sorry I'm slightly ill :/

:)

You didn't misunderstand anything. That's great. Now I have to try that someday.

I'm slightly ill :/

What's the prob Bob? :)

What's the prob Bob? :)

Man flu  :(

Every-time I sneeze there's a sharp pain in my right eye, it feels like the snot is going to fire my eyeball off. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Unfortunately, you won't be able to simply 'install' the 64bit variant without formatting your partition. There are a few ways to keep your data though-

1. Assuming you've bought an Android phone in the past year, you should have 60GB of Google Drive storage. You can backup your photos and videos there, along with a couple of installers
  2. As others have mentioned, you can try partitioning your HDD and putting your data there. If you don't know how to do that, ask away :) To make this process simpler, download Ubuntu, burn it on a pendrive, and use the disk partitioner there. I personally find that method easier (albeit it's longer).

Just out of curiosity- how much RAM does your system have? Installing a 64bit variant of Windows only makes sense if you have 4GB or above of RAM since it can make better use of it. If you have 3.5GB or lower, stick to 32 bit since 32 bit OSs are optimized to handle 3.5GB or lesser RAM more effiently.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile

Man flu. :(

Haha, well you wait till you catch woman flue. I've heard that's a fair bit more nasty. :P :lol:

Every-time I sneeze there's a sharp pain in my right eye, it feels like the snot is going to fire my eyeball off.

LMBO. Maybe it's seeking revenge. For what, I don't know. :D:P

Haha, well you wait till you catch woman flue. I've heard that's a fair bit more nasty. :P :lol:

LMBO. Maybe it's seeking revenge. For what, I don't know. :D:P

:P If I catch that I might have to just buy all of it: 

headache600.jpg

I have a funny feeling the snot may be sentient.. and the snot and my right eyeball have a similar relationship to the Doctor and a Dalek. 

Kinda like this: :P

DALEK98.png?t=1329287128

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I've got just around 4GB of ram anyway. And my system feels darn sluggish right now, it may be time to nuke my hard drive and restart.

And yes I do have an Android phone ready.

You'll have to reinstall all your programs when you're done. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

:P If I catch that I might have to just buy all of it: 

headache600.jpg

I have a funny feeling the snot may be sentient.. and the snot and my right eyeball have a similar relationship to the Doctor and a Dalek. 

Kinda like this: :P

DALEK98.png?t=1329287128

ROTFL LMBO.