Bf4 And Fx 8320

Yeah, i have an 8320 with a R9 290 and it runs at 80 FPS on ultra. Ofcourse i use mantle, but when using directx 11.2 i get 60 FPS on ultra.

An GTX770 with the 8320 is enough to run BF4 on ultra.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

BF4 runs well on FX as it makes use of the extra cores. 

However if you haven't got the GPU yet consider something other than 770. There's better value and BF4 appreciates more than 2GB of VRAM.

You'd be CPU-bound in 64 player servers and 8320 would bottleneck 770.

Take a look at test 2 here: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/bf4-mantle-live/

And 770 will drop to 30 fps on full ultra when there's a lot of action on the screen. Ultra effects have significant impact on framerate, for me up to 40 fps less, depending on what's going on. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

BF4 runs well on FX as it makes use of the extra cores. 

However if you haven't got the GPU yet consider something other than 770. There's better value and BF4 appreciates more than 2GB of VRAM.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

R9 290/ GTX 780/ GTX 970

Also, get an i5 instead of an FX processor.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mh6X3C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mh6X3C/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($53.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($289.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $814.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-03 16:27 EST-0500

$800 build that will play any game on Ultra, performs incredibly well from day one, while remaining upgrade-ready.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Nice, I think I'll just swap the R9 290 for a 970.

Yes, since BF4 can actually use lots of cores.

Not always the case in Multiplayer. Don't use tests conducted in a single player enviroment as proof it's multithreaded. It wasn't the case for Crysis 3's Multiplayer either. 

R9 290/ GTX 780/ GTX 970

Also, get an i5 instead of an FX processor.

Even i5's bottleneck high-end GPUs in BF4. Especially on servers with 64 players. 

You need an 3rd/4th gen i7 to fully utilize GPUs like 290x/970.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Even i5's bottleneck high-end GPUs in BF4. Especially on servers with 64 players. 

You need an 3rd/4th gen i7 to fully utilize GPUs like 290x/970.

No man, you're wrong.  I'm not in the mood today.  Do some research because you're full of it.

No man, you're wrong.  I'm not in the mood today.  Do some research because you're full of it.

I did. And I'm telling you from personal experience. My 4670k is bottlenecking my 290x. I can tell from the CPU and GPU usage, as well as in-game performance graph.

And I'm not the only one. Many people with i5's and FX 8000 series CPUs reported this.

I did. And I'm telling you from personal experience. My 4670k is bottlenecking my 290x. I can tell from the CPU and GPU usage, as well as in-game performance graph.

And I'm not the only one. Many people with i5's and FX 8000 series CPUs reported this.

Must be AMD drivers then. My 4690k doesn't hinder performance on my 970 in BF4. Only time it does is in Shanghai map when the building is destroyed but still doesn't drop below 70fps. That is stock clock btw.

Must be AMD drivers then. My 4690k doesn't hinder performance on my 970 in BF4. Only time it does is in Shanghai map when the building is destroyed but still doesn't drop below 70fps. That is stock clock btw.

How does your graph look like? (perfoverlay.drawgraph 1)

If the yellow line is above the green one, and there's a gap between them then it's a CPU bottleneck. 

Here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/DvFXHDe.png

Avg CPU time says I was getting 65 fps (62 displayed in the corner). But my GPU, according to GPU avg frames time, was able to produce almost 100. It's obvious it's a bottleneck. Besides, my CPU usage is 100%, GPU usage dropping to 80%. 

This isn't too much of a problem since it's still above 60, but the game feels better and smoother with 70+ fps even with a 60hz monitor. And my GPU definitely can.

But what's interesting is that this is with Mantle. With D3D I get 20 fps less and the CPU bottleneck is even more apparent. It's unplayable using D3D.

How does your graph look like? (perfoverlay.drawgraph 1)

If the yellow line is above the green one, and there's a gap between them then it's a CPU bottleneck. 

Here's mine: http://i.imgur.com/DvFXHDe.png

Avg CPU time says I was getting 65 fps (62 displayed in the corner). But my GPU, according to GPU avg frames time, was able to produce almost 100. It's obvious it's a bottleneck. Besides, my CPU usage is 100%, GPU usage dropping to 80%. 

This isn't too much of a problem since it's still above 60, but the game feels better and smoother with 70+ fps even with a 60hz monitor. And my GPU definitely can.

But what's interesting is that this is with Mantle. With D3D I get 20 fps less and the CPU bottleneck is even more apparent. It's unplayable using D3D.

I did some testing, and that graph does not mean a CPU bottleneck.

I run an i5-4670k @ 4.5Ghz paired with a GTX 780 SC @ 1164Mhz.

At first I am not seeing what you're seeing.  My two lines are in unison.  My in game settings may be different from yours though, and I wanted to try and separate them to recreate your lines.

I thought maybe it is a map thing, nope.

I then tried underclocking.  First to 4.2Ghz, then to stock 3.5Ghz.  No change.

Next I tried changing Resolution Scale, this is where I saw a change.  If your resolution scale is at less than 120%, the lines separate.  If it is at 120% and higher, the lines are together.  I tried Vsync on, Vsync off.  No difference.  The only time the lines separated was when I started to play with Resolution Scale, but even then, it didn't affect my GPU load(Except with Vsync On)

In all of the different scenarios I tested, my GPU usage never dipped below 94% while playing the game, and at 99% for the most part(Except with Vsync On).  The only times it would go lower is during a map change, when minimized, or changing load out.

Those two lines don't point to a CPU bottleneck.  Something else must be going on with your system to be causing this.  Or maybe its your settings.  Try increasing the Resolution Scale to 120%+ and see if the lines come together, if that is what you're so worried about.

@Faceman what about framerates between 4.5 and 3.5ghz? Surely the extra IPC must create some extra drawcalls/fps (and increase min. framerate).

I mean, ultimately you can always create a bottleneck for given CPU... just drop the settings. This is how they used to test it, when reviewers still had integrity and a need for honest benchmark results : ) (yes, all of them are terrible now)

So even something as powerful as a 4770K or 4670K will eventually start having trouble creating enough drawcalls if you lower the settings. But that doesn't mean the FPS isn't sufficient in absolute values when it does start to become the limiting factor. 

@Faceman what about framerates between 4.5 and 3.5ghz? Surely the extra IPC must create some extra drawcalls/fps (and increase min. framerate).

I mean, ultimately you can always create a bottleneck for given CPU... just drop the settings. This is how they used to test it, when reviewers still had integrity and a need for honest benchmark results : ) (yes, all of them are terrible now)

So even something as powerful as a 4770K or 4670K will eventually start having trouble creating enough drawcalls if you lower the settings. But that doesn't mean the FPS isn't sufficient in absolute values when it does start to become the limiting factor. 

Yea, of course framerate fluctuated between 60-100 depending on the resolution scale and Ghz.

The test I ran wasn't conclusive by any means, and I wasn't able to run through every single scenario, on every single map, at every single CPU speed.  I did come away from my quick test with the knowledge that, that graph is not an indicator of the CPU being a bottleneck.

And now.. bed.

Is the FX 8320 and GTX 770 enough to run bf4 ultra?

at what resolution?

I'm running at 2560x1080 with a FX6300 and a evga GTX 770 4gb. Averages 50~fps with vysnc on, ultra, hbao, 4x msaa. res scale @100, 64player operation locker. it dips down once in a while, but it's beautiful the whole time hahaha.  the game gets choppy when the hotel falls on hainan, some lag when shanghai drops too.  Not sure what to attribute it to, but my frame rates are within, and slightly above my expectations lol.

I did some testing, and that graph does not mean a CPU bottleneck.

I run an i5-4670k @ 4.5Ghz paired with a GTX 780 SC @ 1164Mhz.

At first I am not seeing what you're seeing.  My two lines are in unison.  My in game settings may be different from yours though, and I wanted to try and separate them to recreate your lines.

I thought maybe it is a map thing, nope.

I then tried underclocking.  First to 4.2Ghz, then to stock 3.5Ghz.  No change.

Next I tried changing Resolution Scale, this is where I saw a change.  If your resolution scale is at less than 120%, the lines separate.  If it is at 120% and higher, the lines are together.  I tried Vsync on, Vsync off.  No difference.  The only time the lines separated was when I started to play with Resolution Scale, but even then, it didn't affect my GPU load(Except with Vsync On)

In all of the different scenarios I tested, my GPU usage never dipped below 94% while playing the game, and at 99% for the most part(Except with Vsync On).  The only times it would go lower is during a map change, when minimized, or changing load out.

Those two lines don't point to a CPU bottleneck.  Something else must be going on with your system to be causing this.  Or maybe its your settings.  Try increasing the Resolution Scale to 120%+ and see if the lines come together, if that is what you're so worried about.

Higher resolutions than 1080p and maxed out settings mean you're stressing your GPU more, which means it will be able to render less frames. So obviously it's a GPU dependent situation and 4670k will not bottleneck it. That's why you won't see a gap between the two lines. But if you're playing 1080p with mixed settings high-ultra, trying to get 70+ fps you're stressing the CPU more since it has to set up more frames, it's a CPU-bound situation. That's when you realize you need an i7 to achieve your goal.

In my case FPS isn't sufficient. Sometimes it's even below 60. BF4 feels kinda choppy below 70 fps, at least to me. My GPU could maintain such framerate at 1080p, all ultra except for effects which are set to high, but is being held back by my CPU.

Higher resolutions than 1080p and maxed out settings mean you're stressing your GPU more, which means it will be able to render less frames. So obviously it's a GPU dependent situation and 4670k will not bottleneck it. That's why you won't see a gap between the two lines. But if you're playing 1080p with mixed settings high-ultra, trying to get 70+ fps you're stressing the CPU more since it has to set up more frames, it's a CPU-bound situation. That's when you realize you need an i7 to achieve your goal.

In my case FPS isn't sufficient. Sometimes it's even below 60. BF4 feels kinda choppy below 70 fps, at least to me. My GPU could maintain such framerate at 1080p, all ultra except for effects which are set to high, but is being held back by my CPU.

Dude....

i5 = i7.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

Not in BF4. I understand where you're coming from, most games don't benefit much from i7 CPUs. BF4 is an exception. I myself was surprised that my 4670k was bottlenecking my 290x at a framerate lower than 100. But then reading what many other people with i5's and FX 8000 series CPUs reported made me realize something faster is needed to run this game at 70+ fps. It's really heavy on the CPU. Especially on 64p servers.